Total War Saga : Troy

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Interesting. Looks like it's not a typical, expansive Total War game, though. "A Total War saga." Looks very story-driven with, I'm guessing, maybe half a dozen or more set battles?

I get the feeling this is part of a series they will be rollng out, kinda like Tell-Tale game chapters. Next, or soon, will be Peloponnesian War.

I like Total War games, but I've never really completed a campaign. Most I've finished, I think, is Rome I and about ~30 hours or so. I ended up pretty deep into the timeline, but I got to a point where I didn't understand what the endgame for this thing was. I dunno. I enjoyed Rome II, as well, and Shogun II is my favorite, but I played that one the least, for some reason. I think I just really liked the art style of that one.

I hear people praise WarHammer. Is it remarkably different from all the others, or is it just fantasy re-skin of the same basic game...like all of them are? Or do you at least get cool things like magic-based AOE and traps and stuff, maybe flying units, or is

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Interesting. Looks like it's not a typical, expansive Total War game, though. "A Total War saga." Looks very story-driven with, I'm guessing, maybe half a dozen or more set battles?

I get the feeling this is part of a series they will be rollng out, kinda like Tell-Tale game chapters. Next, or soon, will be Peloponnesian War.

I like Total War games, but I've never really completed a campaign. Most I've finished, I think, is Rome I and about ~30 hours or so. I ended up pretty deep into the timeline, but I got to a point where I didn't understand what the endgame for this thing was. I dunno. I enjoyed Rome II, as well, and Shogun II is my favorite, but I played that one the least, for some reason. I think I just really liked the art style of that one.

I hear people praise WarHammer. Is it remarkably different from all the others, or is it just fantasy re-skin of the same basic game...like all of them are? Or do you at least get cool things like magic-based AOE and traps and stuff, maybe flying units, or is

warhammer is nothing alike to historical titles, I personally think it is far better than anything else they ever produced.
- there is enormous variety in units and their compositions that is just not possible with historical titles where it is still basically humans on foot, humans on horse, and some machines. In Warhammer, you have dozen plus races that are completely different from each other in size, shape, animation. controlling a vampire faction in campaign and vampire army in battle (with regeneration, resurrection of falling models, extensive and powerful magic) is nothing alike vs controlling say high elves with best flying dragons in the game, archers, dozen schools of magic vs say dwarfs who stand and fight in heavy armor vs ratmen skaven with tech and approach absolutely different than any of the earlier mentioned races. and this is just the start, lizardmen play different from wood elves, greenskins are very distinct from dark elves, etc.
- the races are absolutely different from each other in mechanics and meant to be played very differently
- enourmous selection of completely different heroes which are very different faction to faction

However, if you are the total war player that leans towards crusader kings and want extensive dynasty management, loyalty management of your generals - warhammer is less on that and diplomacy and more about 'war' part of 'war'hammer.

after playing TW1 and TW2 with all DLCs and greatly enjoying it, I can not pick up anything historical , just too boring, no variety in units, no real magic that I turned to love, no summoning, no hero variety, every faction is the same - in that way warhammer poisoned the historical titles for me and I want to see TWH3 vs any of the history attempts.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Given the previous Saga story's lackluster design (Thrones of Britannia) I'm guessing they don't have much faith in this one doing well and thus took the Epic money. Almost more of a marketing stunt to get the Fortnite crowd into Total War games.

No mod support will be a net negative and apparently no cross platform support when it comes out on Steam. For me, giving it away free is the only upside and I doubt I'll play it anytime soon.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018

My grandson used to really be into the Total War games. I tried one, cant remember which, but like you, wasn't sure what the endgame was. Just seemed to reach a stalemate after a while and got tired of it. I also found the set battles very difficult, both strategy wise and hardware wise for the computer I had at the time.

BTW this game will be free to claim on the Epic store for one day. I hope it is stand alone. I would like to give it a try.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
-You mean Space Marines, because it always has to be Space Marines :rolleyes:

I mean they are the most iconic part of the 40k universe.

When it comes to tabletop though, I'm a space elf guy (specifically all the wraith-units). Next army will be Nids I think.

Attachments

• WK.jpg
    WK.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 2

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I mean they are the most iconic part of the 40k universe.

When it comes to tabletop though, I'm a space elf guy (specifically all the wraith-units). Next army will be Nids I think.

Kinda ends up being a self fulfilling prophecy thanks to GW keeping them front and center at the expense of everything else. Haven't played since 4th Edition, but I ran an Eldar and Nid army.

Always figured the TW series would be best suited for Imperial Guard, Nids, Orks... the low point swarm armies.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Oddly enough, my two favorite TW games are Medieval 2 Total War and Warhammer 2 Total War. Medieval 2 Total War does a fantastic job of keeping the various factions pretty separate as each one excels in something different, not to mention they all have their various pros and cons based on where you start. England was always my favorite just because of the longbowmen for defense and starting on an island meant you were able to get rich extremely fast (which meant faster steamrolling). Not to mention the crusades gave you easy access to colonize the middle-eastern parts of the map which brought even more revenue.

Warhammer has always held a special place for me as there aren't many WH40K games that I haven't loved (granted, there's now a plethora of various WH40K games on Steam that I haven't played like Inquisitor) so it was a nice change of pace after trudging through the last four or five TW games that felt like they just tried to copy/paste TW Empires but with new animations and textures.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I forgot, but saw a notice on isthereanydeal and got it, came here to make sure it was posted.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
They could offer all games free for a year and I still wouldn't install Epic. Not into companies buying market share like this and don't feel it should be rewarded. Yes even if you never buy anything from them it lets them tout a larger install base and leverage that into their exclusive deals. Nothing should be exclusive.

Reactions: Stg-Flame

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
They could offer all games free for a year and I still wouldn't install Epic. Not into companies buying market share like this and don't feel it should be rewarded. Yes even if you never buy anything from them it lets them tout a larger install base and leverage that into their exclusive deals. Nothing should be exclusive.
So what? I dont like a separate client from every publisher either, but I dont see it as a big deal. Instead of waiting for it to come onto Steam, I installed the Epic platform to get BL3 on day one. Havent had any problem with it, have even gotten a few of the free games they offer. I also dont get worked up over exclusive platforms. If you dont like it, just dont buy it, but a company certainly has the right to distribute a game they design in any way they see fit. I think most of the "exclusive" games will also eventually come to Steam.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Curious, does steam get anything if i purchase a game key from some other place and activate it on steam?

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000

So, you don't like free games. How much on sale does a game have to be before you don't buy it, 90%, 75%, 50%, 25% off? As a large price deduction could mean they are buying their market share. With Epic, Steam, GOG, and Humble Bundle sales I never buy games full price. Most 75% or more off. Just got an email yesterday for the Homeworld collection for 92% off. Is that buying their market share? I have also gotten free games from Steam before. Some of the Epic free games are nice AAA titles. Some are just cheap Indie games. Do you have a problem with both being free or just AAA titles being free?

I don't like exclusives deals. But brick and mortar stores have exclusive deals also, so it really isn't a new thing. Digital stores are just catching up to brick and mortar stores.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
So what? I dont like a separate client from every publisher either, but I dont see it as a big deal. Instead of waiting for it to come onto Steam, I installed the Epic platform to get BL3 on day one. Havent had any problem with it, have even gotten a few of the free games they offer. I also dont get worked up over exclusive platforms. If you dont like it, just dont buy it, but a company certainly has the right to distribute a game they design in any way they see fit. I think most of the "exclusive" games will also eventually come to Steam.
For a lot of us, we still refuse to support Tencent and therefore will never install the Epic launcher solely for that reason. After seeing what they've done to so many companies in the past, it's amazing that people still willingly give them money (unless you're into the "turn everything into an MMO/mobile game" mentality). I remember back when game companies weren't influenced by investors and that's when we got some of the best games but if you look at the current trend of what's happened after Tencent dug their claws into a company, you'll see great IPs turned into garbage. Then again, there were people cheering Wyatt Cheng after he asked his infamous question at Blizzcon 2018 so I suppose it just goes back to "different strokes for different folks".

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
For a lot of us, we still refuse to support Tencent and therefore will never install the Epic launcher solely for that reason. After seeing what they've done to so many companies in the past, it's amazing that people still willingly give them money (unless you're into the "turn everything into an MMO/mobile game" mentality). I remember back when game companies weren't influenced by investors and that's when we got some of the best games but if you look at the current trend of what's happened after Tencent dug their claws into a company, you'll see great IPs turned into garbage. Then again, there were people cheering Wyatt Cheng after he asked his infamous question at Blizzcon 2018 so I suppose it just goes back to "different strokes for different folks".
So it is more about the parent company being taken over than it is about having to use another client? I suppose that makes more sense. I hadnt looked into the background of the company.
I sort of feel the same about Bioware/EA. They both used to make some great games, but I pretty much detest them both now.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
So it is more about the parent company being taken over than it is about having to use another client? I suppose that makes more sense. I hadnt looked into the background of the company.
I sort of feel the same about Bioware/EA. They both used to make some great games, but I pretty much detest them both now.
Pretty much. Another client is a hassle, but it's just as easy to uninstall when I'm done with the game like I do with Uplay and Battle.net. Steam is the only client I keep installed but only because I have over 500 games on there.

Tencent is a disease in our video games. They continually tried to push what was working great in China (ie. mobile/MMO/pay2win) on the western market where those three things were just a niche market. I'm not a fan of investors calling shots (looking at you Fallout 4) in any type of media but when it comes to Tencent, they just make horrible choices all in the name of money.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Pretty much. Another client is a hassle, but it's just as easy to uninstall when I'm done with the game like I do with Uplay and Battle.net. Steam is the only client I keep installed but only because I have over 500 games on there.

Tencent is a disease in our video games. They continually tried to push what was working great in China (ie. mobile/MMO/pay2win) on the western market where those three things were just a niche market. I'm not a fan of investors calling shots (looking at you Fallout 4) in any type of media but when it comes to Tencent, they just make horrible choices all in the name of money.

Thanks, I will research them as well - so far what I heard and seen about Epic does not seem to match the fear and doubt being spread
- giving more money (cut ) to developers (vs monopoly like Steam). in my book monopolies need to be controlled and challenged..
- giving many games a chance to actually happen (vs die outright) by giving them funding in exchange for 'exclusive launch' for some amount of time.

both are good things.

I try to buy from GOG when I can (as little DRM as possible is my goal), if that is not possible pretty much whatever - Origin , Uplay, Epic. Steam is last in my book given their market position and I have hundreds of steam bought games already.