• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Total War Saga : Troy

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Interesting. Looks like it's not a typical, expansive Total War game, though. "A Total War saga." Looks very story-driven with, I'm guessing, maybe half a dozen or more set battles?

I get the feeling this is part of a series they will be rollng out, kinda like Tell-Tale game chapters. Next, or soon, will be Peloponnesian War.

I like Total War games, but I've never really completed a campaign. Most I've finished, I think, is Rome I and about ~30 hours or so. I ended up pretty deep into the timeline, but I got to a point where I didn't understand what the endgame for this thing was. I dunno. I enjoyed Rome II, as well, and Shogun II is my favorite, but I played that one the least, for some reason. I think I just really liked the art style of that one.

I hear people praise WarHammer. Is it remarkably different from all the others, or is it just fantasy re-skin of the same basic game...like all of them are? Or do you at least get cool things like magic-based AOE and traps and stuff, maybe flying units, or is

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Interesting. Looks like it's not a typical, expansive Total War game, though. "A Total War saga." Looks very story-driven with, I'm guessing, maybe half a dozen or more set battles?

I get the feeling this is part of a series they will be rollng out, kinda like Tell-Tale game chapters. Next, or soon, will be Peloponnesian War.

I like Total War games, but I've never really completed a campaign. Most I've finished, I think, is Rome I and about ~30 hours or so. I ended up pretty deep into the timeline, but I got to a point where I didn't understand what the endgame for this thing was. I dunno. I enjoyed Rome II, as well, and Shogun II is my favorite, but I played that one the least, for some reason. I think I just really liked the art style of that one.

I hear people praise WarHammer. Is it remarkably different from all the others, or is it just fantasy re-skin of the same basic game...like all of them are? Or do you at least get cool things like magic-based AOE and traps and stuff, maybe flying units, or is
warhammer is nothing alike to historical titles, I personally think it is far better than anything else they ever produced.
- there is enormous variety in units and their compositions that is just not possible with historical titles where it is still basically humans on foot, humans on horse, and some machines. In Warhammer, you have dozen plus races that are completely different from each other in size, shape, animation. controlling a vampire faction in campaign and vampire army in battle (with regeneration, resurrection of falling models, extensive and powerful magic) is nothing alike vs controlling say high elves with best flying dragons in the game, archers, dozen schools of magic vs say dwarfs who stand and fight in heavy armor vs ratmen skaven with tech and approach absolutely different than any of the earlier mentioned races. and this is just the start, lizardmen play different from wood elves, greenskins are very distinct from dark elves, etc.
- the races are absolutely different from each other in mechanics and meant to be played very differently
- enourmous selection of completely different heroes which are very different faction to faction

However, if you are the total war player that leans towards crusader kings and want extensive dynasty management, loyalty management of your generals - warhammer is less on that and diplomacy and more about 'war' part of 'war'hammer.

after playing TW1 and TW2 with all DLCs and greatly enjoying it, I can not pick up anything historical , just too boring, no variety in units, no real magic that I turned to love, no summoning, no hero variety, every faction is the same - in that way warhammer poisoned the historical titles for me and I want to see TWH3 vs any of the history attempts.

Ranulf

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2001
Given the previous Saga story's lackluster design (Thrones of Britannia) I'm guessing they don't have much faith in this one doing well and thus took the Epic money. Almost more of a marketing stunt to get the Fortnite crowd into Total War games.

No mod support will be a net negative and apparently no cross platform support when it comes out on Steam. For me, giving it away free is the only upside and I doubt I'll play it anytime soon.

ondma

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2018

My grandson used to really be into the Total War games. I tried one, cant remember which, but like you, wasn't sure what the endgame was. Just seemed to reach a stalemate after a while and got tired of it. I also found the set battles very difficult, both strategy wise and hardware wise for the computer I had at the time.

BTW this game will be free to claim on the Epic store for one day. I hope it is stand alone. I would like to give it a try.

aradii

Jun 15, 2020
I am personally ultra hyped for the Total War Saga: TROY . I love their attention to detail with the Bronze Age era armor, weapons and equipment of the units so far. Trojans and Greeks. Straight out of the osprey books and historical depictions.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
-You mean Space Marines, because it always has to be Space Marines :rolleyes:
I mean they are the most iconic part of the 40k universe.

When it comes to tabletop though, I'm a space elf guy (specifically all the wraith-units). Next army will be Nids I think.

Attachments

GodisanAtheist

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2006
I mean they are the most iconic part of the 40k universe.

When it comes to tabletop though, I'm a space elf guy (specifically all the wraith-units). Next army will be Nids I think.
Kinda ends up being a self fulfilling prophecy thanks to GW keeping them front and center at the expense of everything else. Haven't played since 4th Edition, but I ran an Eldar and Nid army.

Always figured the TW series would be best suited for Imperial Guard, Nids, Orks... the low point swarm armies.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

Stg-Flame

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2007
Oddly enough, my two favorite TW games are Medieval 2 Total War and Warhammer 2 Total War. Medieval 2 Total War does a fantastic job of keeping the various factions pretty separate as each one excels in something different, not to mention they all have their various pros and cons based on where you start. England was always my favorite just because of the longbowmen for defense and starting on an island meant you were able to get rich extremely fast (which meant faster steamrolling). Not to mention the crusades gave you easy access to colonize the middle-eastern parts of the map which brought even more revenue.

Warhammer has always held a special place for me as there aren't many WH40K games that I haven't loved (granted, there's now a plethora of various WH40K games on Steam that I haven't played like Inquisitor) so it was a nice change of pace after trudging through the last four or five TW games that felt like they just tried to copy/paste TW Empires but with new animations and textures.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shortylickens PC Games 3

ASK THE COMMUNITY