Total Isolation - Sensory Deprivation Experiment

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hope some have watched this.

Summary is that any confession or information gathered by using sensory deprivation is useless and that the damage to the brain could become permanent.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Czar
Hope some have watched this.

Summary is that any confession or information gathered by using sensory deprivation is useless and that the damage to the brain could become permanent.

I've been recommending "The Shock Doctrin" by Naomi Klein, and reiterte that recommendation strongly as it reviews the history of this issue, and is an important education for all of us on the experiments that have been done and what it's really about - which is the forcibl destrocution of the person's own identity, in conjuntion with other disorienting measures that may sound harmless but are not.

It's not unlike reading about the 'Nazi and Japanese experiments', and realizing how much we are doing the same type of thing in many cases (on a related not, not covered that much in the Klein book, a lot of our worst 'interrogation techniques' can trace their roots to Nazi and Soviet practices, even if we're a far cry from the worst of what they did).

In addition, the lack of effective oversight by our elected officials in Congress of the practices - interrogators typically operating in a vacuum other than their chain of command - is a real problem IMO, where you get our leaders who don't know what's going on offering reassurances because they can't say much else without any information and don't want to say that, while any type of activity can be going on. Abu Ghraib was identified by the initiative of the guy who turned in the photos the perpetrators had foolishly shared with him, not by the systems in place for monitoring the behavior of the soldiers.

I haven't seen the cideo aboe yet but if it helps educate on the issue, thanks for posting it.

People should understand the purpose of those black hoods and goggles they see prisoners in as part of a larger psychological attack, not merely for 'safety' and such.

We really need to reform our practices IMO.

Jun 26, 2007
Watch this 50 minute long video
http://www.videosift.com/video...Deprivation-Experiment

yes its long but worth it because no one has done any scientific experiments on this subject for decades but yet this tactic is used world wide by authorities and hardly ever questioned

I'd like for you to explain this "worldwide" to me since we are per definition not allowed to hand prisoners over to any facility that uses ANY of these methods.

If you mean Pakistan, Iran, Russia, Georgia, China and the US then OK, but there is an EU directive against it that has been ratified in every EU country, icluding yours that prohibits this form of torture.

As some of you might remember, my first task was to secure the horseshoe and bottle route but that changed when we were directed NEVER to hadn over any prisoners to any US led facilites, this was way back before summer.

I think this is kind of like the Nazi experiments and should be banned world wide.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Watch this 50 minute long video
http://www.videosift.com/video...Deprivation-Experiment

yes its long but worth it because no one has done any scientific experiments on this subject for decades but yet this tactic is used world wide by authorities and hardly ever questioned

I'd like for you to explain this "worldwide" to me since we are per definition not allowed to hand prisoners over to any facility that uses ANY of these methods.

If you mean Pakistan, Iran, Russia, Georgia, China and the US then OK, but there is an EU directive against it that has been ratified in every EU country, icluding yours that prohibits this form of torture.

As some of you might remember, my first task was to secure the horseshoe and bottle route but that changed when we were directed NEVER to hadn over any prisoners to any US led facilites, this was way back before summer.

I think this is kind of like the Nazi experiments and should be banned world wide.

I mean world wide as in everywhere. Never heard of this EU directive though, dont think its in effect because earlier this year an Icelander was arrested in the Faroe Islands of all places for drug trafficing. He was put into solitary confinment for 2 months if I remember correctly.

Grunt03

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2000
I started watching it but it put me to sleep within the first minute or so. So I guess the so called Sensory experiment works.....;)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
[I mean world wide as in everywhere. Never heard of this EU directive though, dont think its in effect because earlier this year an Icelander was arrested in the Faroe Islands of all places for drug trafficing. He was put into solitary confinment for 2 months if I remember correctly.

There are degrees. The EU - to its great credit - bans a lot of things the US and others allow.

I don't know what EU law is on 'lesser' degrees like solitary confinement alone, without other sensory deprivation, or even whether I'm entirely opposed to that in some cases.

I've been watching the video, and so far, it's good - the real meat lies ahead though, to see how well they really illustrate the harms and make the case against these practices.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Grunt03
I started watching it but it put me to sleep within the first minute or so. So I guess the so called Sensory experiment works.....;)

You sound sleep deprived, not sensory deprived. It's a perfectly watchable video IMO.