TOSLINK IS A POS!!!!

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
GRRRRR :|:|:|

hwo the HELL do iplug this crap in??? on my xbox HD pack and even on my Tivo, it won't insert all the way and pops out with the slightest touch

on the back of my reciever, i can't even get the bulb in!!!

and i don't want to break the f****** cable!!! :|:|:|

help please

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
also, are you sure it's the right size
the cables i've bought came with adapter tips
edit: Nevermind, got beat to it

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
bingo, it worked

thanks, luckily i don't feel stupid cuz i never used this before, and when i barely stuck it in the tivo, i looked and was able to see the light coming through, so i thought that's how it is

thanks again

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
what the hell? they have different sizes???j

well it fit in the xbox, now to see if it fits my receiver

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: KidViciou$
what the hell? they have different sizes???j

well it fit in the xbox, now to see if it fits my receiver

Yes, there are different sizes. You can buy adapters if need be, or cables pre-terminated the way you need them.

Between an XBOX & a receiver it's probably the standard connector, & shouldn't give you any problems.

Viper GTS

puffpio

Golden Member
Dec 21, 1999
why DO they make thiem w/ differnt pplugs? and USB cables too! Just make it one plug!! is there a technical reason for this or are they trying to make us buy more hardware

ApacheXMD

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the reason they have different sizes is that they have devices that have a combination 3.5mm audio in/output. Meaning the audio in/out jack is both electrical, and optical. So the toslink optical plug has to be the same shape as a standard 3.5mm audio plug. This is how it was on my MiniDisk player.

And they have the regular square toslink optical plugs and jacks.

-patchy

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
well it worked!

actually, after getting it to work, i saw a sticker on the cable that said to remove the bulbs :|

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
well it worked!

actually, after getting it to work, i saw a sticker on the cable that said to remove the bulbs :|
Before I walked in I knew it was user error.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard
well it worked!

Haha ditto. And I'm a relative audio noob too. But at least I knew that much. ;)

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
well it worked!

It may have been in this case, but I had to cut a 1/4" of rubber off of the outside of my RS Toslink cable's plug to get it to plug into my SN41G2's front panel. The other end plugged into my receiver fine. Stupid computer. :|

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
well it worked!

A classic example of RTFM syndrome. :D

Glad to hear you got it working. I acutally use TOSLINK for all of my game systems too.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Heh :D I did the exact same thing when I got my minidisk - nowhere did the instruction manual mention taking the damn rubber protective coating off. I pulled at it a bit, thinking that it was just a cover, but it seemed pretty stuck on, and i didn't want to break the thing...

How hard would it have been for Sony to mention it in the manual? Had to phone a friend on that one...:eek:

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
well it worked!

i never said it wasn't, but there was no proper instructions detailing how to use it

this is my first time using toslink, and i plugged the cable into a device whiel on and saw a red light coming through the bulb that was clear

what would you expect me to think?

ornery, i got the cable from AC4L, pretty cheap and pretty long

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Now, I completely understand the logistics of high-end speaker cables (i.e. Silver Serpent Reference to Valhalla) or high-end interconnects, but what stuns me are people who pay through the nose for high-end TOSLINK cables.

It's a glass tube. It carries 1's and 0's, nothing more. It doesn't pick up interference. It doesn't need gold plating for conductivity. So why pay more than $20 for it?

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: amnesiac
Now, I completely understand the logistics of high-end speaker cables (i.e. Silver Serpent Reference to Valhalla)
After burn-in, of course!
rolleye.gif