Toshiba SSD secure erase ?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
This is a bit strange, if you go to toshiba's site, you will not find any SSD utility at all.
Most makers that I have seen, (OCZ, Samsung, Intel, Corsair...) have secure erase utilities for their devices, so, why doesn't Toshiba ?

I don't even see a toshiba SSD reviewed on this site, which again, I find a bit odd...

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Toshiba is primarily OEM SSD manufacturer. It is only recently that they started selling retail. It's possible that they will make a utility in the future if they gain traction in the retail space, but right now AFAIK they don't have any utility. If you're worried about selling HDD, just zero format it, it should be good enough.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Toshiba now has a SSD utility available.

Version: 2.00
Posted Date: 2014-03-26
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/SSD_Utilities_US_v2.00.exe

Size is 400MB (Yeah, 400MB.:eek:)

*edit, the reason it is so huge is because they include both the linux ISO (200MB), and a linux USB ISO (200MB).
If you don't count those, then, the actual utility program is around 500K
It seems that when you boot the linux image, you will be able to backup your SSD. I assume they are using something like dd, but haven't checked.
They are using Porteus for booting (http://www.porteus.org/) linux.

Overall, it reminds me of Samsung's magician software.
ufwSBos.png

Works with Windows XP in 32 bit, and Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 in 32 and 64 bit environments.
(That means, XP users can now TRIM the drive with this utility)

Last edited:

nobles

Nov 10, 2014
I downloaded the above Toshiba SSD Utilities but cannot seem to create a bootable USB flash drive with them. Has anybody had success?

Eecho

Jul 6, 2013
Looks like Toshiba dropped support for their 'utilities' software? I can't find it anywhere on their website. It is 2015, so why is that?

I want to secure erase my SSD.
I have their Q Series Pro (HDTS312XZSTA)

Eecho

Jul 6, 2013
Alright, that Toshiba software doesn't work with my new Toshiba SSD... tried it via bootable media also (most menu options are grey out). There was a pop up message, but I can't remember what it said; it basically said it would not work with my series of SSD (Q Series Pro).

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Alright, that Toshiba software doesn't work with my new Toshiba SSD... tried it via bootable media also (most menu options are grey out). There was a pop up message, but I can't remember what it said; it basically said it would not work with my series of SSD (Q Series Pro).

That is the SSD I have, and it does work with it, but, as I said, you don't need it to secure erase the SSD.

Eecho

Jul 6, 2013
Doesn't work with my SSD (v2.0), tried two different computers.

Software runs, but the secure erase features are grayed out.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Maybe it is still in a locked state?
Boot the ISO with the SSD unplugged. Then plug it back in when it boots to the software.

Eecho

Jul 6, 2013
Nothing I try works.

I don't understand the above link for using linux, and don't want to risk it. I'm waiting for my Windows 10 upgrade, but made a mistake buying this 128GB drive... just a little too small.

Oh well, I guess I will just quick format the SSD :(

Onto another topic, how normal is it to get a bad SSD? The last two I ordered had issues, the Samsung 850 evo was DOA and the OCZ was buggy. I've had nothing but good luck with Toshiba drives, but they do not have a utility program.

energee

Jan 27, 2011
For those of you with a Toshiba Q300 (Pro included), this page has a link to Toshiba's Storage Utility v3.11:
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/p-media/wwsite/ssdkit/en_emea.htm

The newer utility isn't a giant ISO; it's only several megabytes. There's also a firmware update tool.

I don't know whether SSDs other than those explicitly listed in their documentation are supported. I've a 256GB MLC drive (HDTS225XZSTA) that I purchased from Newegg prior to the retail availability of the Q300 line of drives. Specs seem identical to the Q300 Pro, but I haven't attempted to see whether its recognized/supported by the utility. Might give it a try for the sake of curiosity.

Prova moni

Jan 1, 2017
If you're running bitlocker and have a TPM, you should be able to clear the TPM and it will render the bitlocker encrypted partitions as unreadable.