toshiba portege m200 tablet/notebook bybrid... opinions?

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
I'm looking to get the toshiba portege m200. There are a few reasons I have this one on my mind instead of other ones.

1) Larger screen. (the gateway hybrid has a slightly larger screen, but the video card sucks)
2) Doesnt have intel integrated graphics (it has fx5200 go, which still sucks, but is 1000x better than intel extreme)

That said, there is a price difference of about $150 to go from 1.5ghz to 1.7ghz. Is it worth it?

Anyone own one of these and have any opinions?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've had one for about 6 months. I don't do any gaming on it (mainly office apps) so I can't say whether the 1.7ghz is worth the extra money.

Overall I think it's a great machine. It has a DVD as a recovery disk but the machine doesn't come with a DVD player standard. I bought a Toshiba CD-RW/DVD but it wouldn't work as a boot device. Got Toshiba to replace the drive with a later model and that worked.

What are you going to use the tablet features for?

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
90% of its use will be word processing and web browsing.

I do, however do occasional programming, and it would be nice if I could at least run last generation games on it at low resolution (utk2k3?).

I cant seem to find a store that has them locally to check out. Best Buy lists them on their website, but doesnt carry them instore.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just a heads-up that the handwriting recognition on TPCs doesn't work well for programming. It's great on words though.

Check the forums on tabletpcbuzz.com - there's some posts from people who have done gaming and got updated Nvidia drivers to work.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
ok, ill check out that site.

I dont plan on using the tablet feature for programming... i just want the laptop itself to compile at reasonable speeds