Toshiba Laptop w/ external display problem

cosrocket

Nov 9, 2005
I have a question; a friend has a Toshiba Satellite M45 laptop running Windows XP, which has the Intel 900 integrated graphic chip. He purchased a 22? external widescreen display with a native resolution of 1650 x 1050. He told me when he hooked up the display to the VGA port on the laptop the picture overshoots the external display and that he can?t seem to adjust it. I asked him if he went into display settings and tried to slide the resolution slider to the correct resolution but he says nothing happens.
My question is, shouldn?t this be able to work? I wonder if anyone has any ideas on what the problem could be?

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
Laptop integrated graphics can't support a large range of resolutions. So if the resolution of the monitor isn't one it can support then it makes do with the resolution it can implement.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
As mentioned, there is a limitation on how high the screen resolution can be on laptops and usually this is at most 1280 X 1024 on 15.4" laptop screens. So to verify that your friend can change resolution, he needs to do it first within his laptop before connecting out to the VGA port.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
1620x1080 or whatever is possible with integrated graphics on laptop lcd.

that being said, intel gpu is slightly dodgy so its other abilities are rather limited.