Question Toshiba 64 GB flash drive suddenly become read only

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I have 2 Toshiba 64GB flash drives. One suddenly become read only, can't even format or delete the volume and start over.

Can see files on drive but no way to add/modify/delete files and folders.

Tried three 3rd party partition managers and got same result.

I move the drive to another machine and it's the same.

Any way to revive it?

Platform: Windows 10.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Probably not. Thats how those things die. Has happened to me a few times. Just copied it to another drive then destroyed the bad one.

Reactions: mxnerd

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You are probably right.

I used Gparted bootable CD and still couldn't delete / format the drive.

Also tried Windows DISKPART & "attributes disk clear readonly" command. Didn't work.

Though it's more than 3 years old, I hardly use this flash drive, probably less than 20 times!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Though it's more than 3 years old, I hardly use this flash drive, probably less than 20 times!
Yeah, that's probably enough to kill a modern (TLC, QLC) flash drive. I don't expect these Adata UV128 drives I use for boot drives, to last more than maybe 20 re-writes either. What can I say, I consider them to be disposable, like stick pens.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah, that's probably enough to kill a modern (TLC, QLC) flash drive. I don't expect these Adata UV128 drives I use for boot drives, to last more than maybe 20 re-writes either. What can I say, I consider them to be disposable, like stick pens.
I also use the drive only for booting OS and storing drivers. Didn't expect the life span is so short for a brand name.

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
i forget which format tool i use. you tried fat32formater app? i feel like toshiba is not a brand name but they are indeed the #2 maker of memory chips? (after samsung) Ive never owned a toshiba flashdrive but i wouldnt expect any flashdrive to last unless it was rated for extreme use they all have a limited write and retention cycles.

i used to get some errors when yanking drives out while in use but i try not to do that anymore.

hojnikb

Sep 18, 2014
You can revive it, provided the NAND flash itself isn't f****.

What you need is to identify the controller model name (best way is to use chipgenius, but you can also take the drive apart and read off it)

Then, using this information, head over here https://www.usbdev.ru/files/
and find the correct MPtool or Ctool (depends on the manufacturer). Help yourself with a google translator, as the site is in russian.

With a bit of luck, flash drive will work as new.

What happens is, that these controllers sometimes go haywire and don't know what to do and brick themselfs or put the flash into read only mode. After all, these are 8 bit affairs costing a few 10c each.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You can revive it, provided the NAND flash itself isn't f****.

What you need is to identify the controller model name (best way is to use chipgenius, but you can also take the drive apart and read off it)

Then, using this information, head over here https://www.usbdev.ru/files/
and find the correct MPtool or Ctool (depends on the manufacturer). Help yourself with a google translator, as the site is in russian.

With a bit of luck, flash drive will work as new.

What happens is, that these controllers sometimes go haywire and don't know what to do and brick themselfs or put the flash into read only mode. After all, these are 8 bit affairs costing a few 10c each.

This site can’t be reached
www.usbdev.ru took too long to respond.

so.. well.. here it doesnt work. i will try googling the link in a second. in the market for a new flashdrive, i have been wondering which micro sd card to buy and which flash drive, ive narrowed it to pretty much two samsung pro and mushkin impact usb with MLC, the Samsung pro also uses mlc but ive yet to see proof (still looking slowly)