Torture, does it work?

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Can interrogation be non-violent? Our guest this hour, U.S. Air Force interrogator Matthew Alexander, believes that more civilized interrogation techniques are more productive and he has the results to prove it. Alexander will join us this hour to discuss his service and his new book "How to Break a Terrorist: The U.S. Interrogators Who Used Brains, Not Brutality, To Take Down the Deadliest Man in Iraq"

Podcast

I found this to be a very interesting interview. I wonder how many years our troops will suffer from the Bush/Rumsfeld policies?
If you listen to it you can draw a picture of how rampant this problem was, but that there were many great people serving their country honorably.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
lol pouring water down someone's face = torture? when we start pulling nails and hammering toes let me know.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: JS80
lol pouring water down someone's face = torture? when we start pulling nails and hammering toes let me know.

Waterboarding is officially torture, and so are a lot of other methods. That's not even touching the methods we outsource to Syria.

Here's what I don't get-- why did the Bush administration convince itself that torture works? What did it have to gain?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
US doesn't need to; it ships people off to Syria for that.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
US doesn't need to; it ships people off to Syria for that.

mmmm...touche.

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
This is about how to obtain better data more rapidly to save lives and how brutality fails to do that.
Not a boohoohoo about terrorist feelings, well being...

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
If torture is good enough for Batman, it's good enough for me.

you can't have your cake and eat it too; you'll also need to endure constant physical duress, spend your life alone, and pine for a girl you can never have.

enjoy!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Are you an idiot? From all objective sources waterboarding is much worse than pulling nails. Much, much worse.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
The methods of detention and interrogation, including those of waterboarding, sleep deprivation, cold cells, stress positions, and the like, adopted by the Bush Administrationm, were pioneered by Jacob Yeshov [Stalin's secret police chief] in order to elicit confessions devised as a part of the "scripting" of Stalin's purge trials. Those methods were not, and are not, useful for the purpose of eliciting "facts", only "confessions". Their credibility and use relied on the skill of the script writers, the perfidy of the prosecutors, and the complicity of the courts.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000

Well, Nazis were tried and convicted of torture because they used waterboarding, so what do you think, dumbass?

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005

Is there a single neocon talking point you disagree with?