Torrent legality question.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Ok, so I own a cable connection which feature a channel that has the show I want to watch on it. Unfortunately I am not around when the show airs. Is it legal to download said show via a bit torrent connection (arg!) for personal use? if not, what is it that makes a TiVo, tape recorder, dvd recorder (of which I have none) legal and bit-torrent illegal?

BTW, ill probably keep downloading, but I would really like to know where I am standing on this legally.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
no, that is copyright material
the difference is the source
when you tivo, it is from a paid source (cable/satellite TV)
when you pirate off the internet, you never paid for it

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
But if you own a paid source for the material, just not the equipment to get it here and now, why does that make a huge difference? You are still paying them one way or another.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
When using the torrents, unless you set your upload to 0, you're also distributing chunks of the video file to other users.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Its different since the advertisers who would have sponsored your show locally dont get to participate in the value chain when you download it elsewhere. (Not saying I agree, but thats the base issue)

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
@ mundane I can see that being the reason for it being illegal, that is to the extent it is like making a dvd available to download off the internet, you'll get busted for it because you are making copyrighted material available.

bsobel, I could see that as well. Though, with TV, generally you cut the advertisers straight out anyways (one of the main selling points for TiVo)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
It's legal when the copyright owner of the content has given permission to distribute it.

The Tivo records content and allows you to watch it at a time of your choice. It does not redistribute it to others as a torrent would.

What tv show is it? It may be possible to legally watch it or download it on the internet.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
:eek: Its Avatar: The last air bender :) . New episodes are available on their website, but their website is not very Firefox friendly (or bandwidth friendly for that matter, slow internet connection)

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Cogman
But if you own a paid source for the material, just not the equipment to get it here and now, why does that make a huge difference? You are still paying them one way or another.
The end does not justify the means.

If someone owes you money, and the only way you can get it from them is to shoot them, you can neither shoot them nor get your money.

You're not paying the copyright holder when you download the torrent, it doesn't matter what else you are paying for, the torrent download is still illegal.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
:eek: Its Avatar: The last air bender :) . New episodes are available on their website, but their website is not very Firefox friendly (or bandwidth friendly for that matter, slow internet connection)

Thanks. New episodes are on already? I almost forgot about that show lawl.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Billb2

If someone owes you money, and the only way you can get it from them is to shoot them, you can neither shoot them nor get your money.

You're not paying the copyright holder when you download the torrent, it doesn't matter what else you are paying for, the torrent download is still illegal.

yes but how is that any diffrent then useing a DVR?

i am anti-piracy. But to me downloading a torrent of a TV show should be legal.

I can DVR it and skip all the commercials anyway.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Billb2

True, though the OP is still paying for the rights to watch copyrighted material, just not at the current second it is being broadcast. The exact verbage of the copyright may not cover the allowance to download the material, but most copyrights didn't include the ability to record the material with a VCR either. Fair use rights typically covered that. I think fair use would usually apply in this case, but the media companies have nearly squashed that idea.

I suppose in theory a DVR is the same idea, though copyright agreements may now cover the use of a DVR, or they may not. I'd like to have someone actually post factual information about the copyrights of broadcast shows.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
no, that is copyright material
the difference is the source
when you tivo, it is from a paid source (cable/satellite TV)
when you pirate off the internet, you never paid for it

I own a TV Tuner card that allows me to record OTA broadcasts. Is that illegal? I'm not paying for it. I can also rip out the commercials if I want to. Is that illegal? How is that any different than just downloading a torrent?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
if you are already paying for the channel then its fine, by fairness standards. by the mpaa standards you are a dirty thief and need to have your hands cut off and eyes gouged out and have your first born child handed over to michael jackson for foster care.