Torrent and Router Question

Clocker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I have a desktop running torrents. I have two lappys and they all are connected to a belkin router.

Everytime a run a torrent whether azureus or utorrent. I am unable to browse the internet. But, i am able to transfer files and run vnc without issue.

At first I thought the issue was related to bandwith. But this problem happens even if the torrents are downloading at 40k. I have a 4 MEg down 256 up connection, so i dont think it is a factor.

Is their a setting i can run to fix this. Could this be a router shortcoming. i checked for an updated bios but they dont have any :(.

any thoughts
Clocker

oog

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2002
i find that if i run azureus for too long, my linksys router tends to die. i need to reset it. for some reason, it doesn't occur with utorrent. i don't think this helps your situation at all though. have you tried capping your upload? it doesn't seem to be the problem though since you say that you're able to transfer files and run vnc.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
maybe the max global connections in azureus needs to be lowered, its in options.

Seeruk

Nov 16, 2003
Yeah reduce your upload speed to no more than about 75% of its max (or less if you feel stingy :p ) and reduce the maximum concurrent connections.

Routers tend to overheat ESPECIALLY netgear routers when pushed too hard. If they are handling like 400 incoming and 400 outgoing dns resolutions, packet routing, encryption/decryption (if wireless), connection requests, NAT's, the meaning of life...... its no wonder they are more than a little 'stressed'. Most home routers (and indeed some crappy enterprise ones) just arent built to handle such a workload. I have actually killed a Netgear router with azereus shortly after setting it up as it overheated and died because I forgot to properly configure azereus.

Cheetah8799

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2001
Yeah reduce your upload speed to no more than about 75% of its max (or less if you feel stingy ) and reduce the maximum concurrent connections.

I agree with this. Reduce the upload bandwidth for sure.

Clocker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Thanks everyone for the info. I was able to fix the problem by updating the belkin router with european firmware (i did some searching on dslreports). The router and web browsing works extremely router. Acutally I really like this router now!!!!!

oog

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2002
I also said to reduce the upload speed, but the part I don't get is that VNC and file transfers don't seem to be affected. I'm not sure how to account for that except that maybe the web browsing is being killed by the not being able to resolve addresses or something like that.