Toronto celebrates dumping in Michigan

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Link

Toronto celebrates dumping in Michigan
Environmentalists are upset by deal with Sumpter Township
By Joel Kurth / The Detroit News

SUMPTER TOWNSHIP, MI -- Michiganians may loathe becoming the dumping ground for all of Toronto's trash, but it's literally cause for celebration in Canada.

The city of Vaughan, Ontario, is hosting a $130,000 party Tuesday to mark the closure of its Keele Valley Landfill. Thousands of residents are expected to turn out for free cake, a non-alcoholic champagne toast and fireworks.

After city leaders clamp a ceremonial oversized lock on the landfill's gates, every last inch of Toronto's trash -- 23,750 tons a week -- will be dumped in Carleton Farms in Sumpter Township, MI.

(continued in link...)
----------------------------------------------

Enjoy our trash! :D

(before you flame me, i'm against this.)

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Man, living in Michigan just gets better and better! :|

Sounds like that place is only 30-45 minutes away, both from AA and Troy...hope the winds don't blow the smell over here ;)

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: SSP
Gotta dump it somewhere.
You do have to admit though that it is pretty shameful that Toronto (of all places) can't even deal with it's own garbage.

"Not in my backyard!"
rolleye.gif

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
I'm the assistant manager at the local landfill. Trust me. Toronto is paying out the nose for the privelege. We charge $50 to $75 a ton for solid waste that comes from outside the borough (county).

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Maetryx
I'm the assistant manager at the local landfill. Trust me. Toronto is paying out the nose for the privelege. We charge $50 to $75 a ton for solid waste that comes from outside the borough (county).
By my calculations, it works out to be about $32.00/ton in this case.

Still too cheap in my opinion.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: N8Magic
Originally posted by: SSP
Gotta dump it somewhere.
You do have to admit though that it is pretty shameful that Toronto (of all places) can't even deal with it's own garbage.

"Not in my backyard!"
rolleye.gif

But where are you gona dump it though? Our last attempt failed when the people living in the area had strong opposition against it. Oh well, can?t please everyone. Were not the only city doing this, and if it becomes too expensive, just dump it in Ottawa. buahaha... ehmm

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
See this is why Canadians are cool. They use any excuse to throw a party and get drunk.