Torchlight 2, My Impressions... (updated: 5/10/12 with Final Impressions)

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
re-rolled a shotgun outlander on Veteran. Loads of fun. I have been pumping points into dexterity and strength. Hitting Crits every 3rd shot or so really clears the rooms fast with a spread shotgun. Also been putting skill points into Shadowling Ammo and Death Ritual to get some minions in the mix to help me.

I did get my Engineer unstuck (as I fumed about above in this thread) by re-rolling the world.

I wish these games would come up with a way to store/organize items better. I want some sort of "Set Inventory" that has slots for EACH and EVERY set piece that is available in the game so that it can be collected and stored more efficiently.

Last edited:

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Yeah some kind of storage management mod is really needed, and I'm pretty sure some will come up. I'd love to have something like some of the bag mods in WoW, where at all times you can check what items you have on all of your characters, including their stashes and the shared stash.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i had a ton of drops for other classes and just blues in general so i made a character of each class and gave them all the items they could use. Started playing embermage with the higher level items and he just kicks ass. just mows through everything, lol.

got dual wands going and don't even use my skills, lol

are wands considered ranged weapons?

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I am rolling an Embermage and trying to decide how much vit, if any, to give my character. I have read several people give nothing as you avoid getting hit period on the higher levels.

None in my opinion. I rolled a glaive outlander and have put it all into focus and I think two levels of vitality. If you play on Elite it won't matter how much health you have as you'll get one shot very often and a large part of your strategy is making sure you don't get hit at all. I've countered this this by going with vitality gems and things like that. My poison damage is insane though. I think it's like +250% poison damage and I one hit stuff for 7k regularly non-crit.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Been thinking about getting this game, hows the class balancing? I want to try a melee char this time around so hows the bezerker or 2hnd engineer?

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Those birds that fly out of the ant hill looking things and then swarm you. Those can easily instakill me. Doesn't matter what I'm wielding, they can fly right through my gunfire and boom, dead in seconds. I have to spam potions just at the right time to even hope to live.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Those birds that fly out of the ant hill looking things and then swarm you. Those can easily instakill me. Doesn't matter what I'm wielding, they can fly right through my gunfire and boom, dead in seconds. I have to spam potions just at the right time to even hope to live.

What are you playing as? As an embermage, I have no issue with them.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I have a couple questions:

- There are a couple achievements around maps. Has anyone gotten one or been able to buy one? I haven't seen one map and I'm on Act III. I know TL1 had maps.

- Has anyone found a Legendary Item yet? If so, how did you come across it?

- Anyone transmute 4 unique item and get a crappy unique in return? I have :(

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a couple questions:

- There are a couple achievements around maps. Has anyone gotten one or been able to buy one? I haven't seen one map and I'm on Act III. I know TL1 had maps.

- Has anyone found a Legendary Item yet? If so, how did you come across it?

- Anyone transmute 4 unique item and get a crappy unique in return? I have :(

Maps are sold after you go through the game. An NPC in the final town-area offers to open a new area where you can buy maps. I played my first map last night. There are different options on the maps (monster level range, some buffs for your character, some penalties to your character) specific to each map.

I found many uniques. Are you referring to something different or using the D3 terminology for uniques?

Yes, once and it wasn't a good return.

Feb 24, 2001
Maps are sold after you go through the game. An NPC in the final town-area offers to open a new area where you can buy maps. I played my first map last night. There are different options on the maps (monster level range, some buffs for your character, some penalties to your character) specific to each map.

I found many uniques. Are you referring to something different or using the D3 terminology for uniques?

Yes, once and it wasn't a good return.

I think on one of the loading pages it says something about Legendary items, as if it is separate from ordinary, magic, rare and unique. I haven't seen one either.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001

Yes, there are legendaries. These are extremely rare and some people say only show up when you are level 50+ or doing the contents after level 50, i.e. newgame+/mapworks.

Anyway, what is your level when you finished your first run through? I'm level 48 right now and I'm not even done with Act III yet (and supposedly there's Act IV, right?).

I still have one extra dungeon to go to (the one in the middle of the huge zone in Act III, that you have to open by collecting the four crystals), and then that last dungeon in the southeast corner (Emberworks?).

I have seen screenshot of people in the mid 40s level in the mapworks area, while it could take me probably to the mid 50s to finish the game.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I finished a vetran game (outlander) at level 53 or 54. The last part was a pain with my build (double pistols); died too often. I'm slowly playing an engineer with hammer to see how a tougher build does (nots sure where I should put points but right now 3 str 2 vit (0 dex 0 focus)). To be honest I'm finding the game a bit boring - sort of preferred titan quest; so not sure if I will finish the engin game (also on vetran).

Yes, there are legendaries. These are extremely rare and some people say only show up when you are level 50+ or doing the contents after level 50, i.e. newgame+/mapworks.

Anyway, what is your level when you finished your first run through? I'm level 48 right now and I'm not even done with Act III yet (and supposedly there's Act IV, right?).

I still have one extra dungeon to go to (the one in the middle of the huge zone in Act III, that you have to open by collecting the four crystals), and then that last dungeon in the southeast corner (Emberworks?).

I have seen screenshot of people in the mid 40s level in the mapworks area, while it could take me probably to the mid 50s to finish the game.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

I'm at 45, I believe. Not sure how far into ACT III I'm at. I just recently found the secret area that is an ode to Skyrim if that gives a clue to my progress in ACT III.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
So Ive gotten 5 of those yellow weapons from gambling, out of like 8 times. Is this shit unbalanced?

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
So Ive gotten 5 of those yellow weapons from gambling, out of like 8 times. Is this shit unbalanced?

Right now if you picked the ones with the red 'x' you are *very* likely to get a unique. They are going to fix this in the upcoming patch (no more 'x', and maybe lowering the rates of unique). Also, the gambling exploit I posted earlier will be fixed as well.

Nov 7, 2000
Right now if you picked the ones with the red 'x' you are *very* likely to get a unique. They are going to fix this in the upcoming patch (no more 'x', and maybe lowering the rates of unique). Also, the gambling exploit I posted earlier will be fixed as well.
nooooo. my secret weapon lol.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I am looking at making a Berserker next. Any ideas on builds? Looking over Runic's forums and the builds are scattered.

Last edited:

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think I was level 54 when I completed the game with an engineer. I'm playing in the mapworks now. Haven't seen a legendary, yet, but plenty of uniques.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Just finished the game again with my engineer. % based lifesteal is overpowered, I kept the 3 piece regent set through the whole clear.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I am looking at making a Berserker next. Any ideas on builds? Looking over Runic's forums and the builds are scattered.

My zerker is lvl 55, and I mainly played with the following skills (at work, so I dont know the names of the skills)

1. % life regen on a critical hit passive
2. additional chance to execute + increased charge rate passive
3. your first available lightning skill, that gives a 50% chance for lightning to bounce to nearby targets
4. at least 1 point in the skill that lets you dash through enemies and regen life. This lets you GTFO when your getting our ass beat, and hopefully regen some life on the way out
5. The single target damage skill (this will rape most enemies, and its spammable on bosses if you use a mana potion)

I basically max 1,2,3 and 5 above. Since I have weapons that do ice damage, I also put alot of points in the first two passive ice skills, but those are really optional. Also put at least 1 point in the passive that lets you go beserk, even at 4% chance it seems to happen all the time still.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007

http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=1#bjOudfX-zO-ABghegKGh_O

After you get those points you have a few options for the other 33. Howl 15/15, battle rage 15/15, red wolf 15/15, dump some points in cold steel mastery..

Not really worth putting more than 1 point in blood hunger as it doesn't work too well (the wolf summon works a lot better)
Also dont bother with shadowbind, the dmg it does is reduced by armor so it ends up being really bad.

This build starts off a little slow but as you get higher level it gets more and more good.. late bloomer
level 83 on veteran

Get adrenaline rush as one of your 4 spells

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
What are you playing as? As an embermage, I have no issue with them.
Outlander. Here are my stats

pdCxt.jpg