Torchlight 2, My Impressions... (updated: 5/10/12 with Final Impressions)

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skillyho

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2005
1) Crafting...WHAT CRAFTING
2) Game is STILL designed around SPending REAL MONEY@ AH.

I hate the fact that you kind GRIND FOR 100's of hours and not come close to what the AH has to offer. takes all the phun out of it.

STILL BROKEN FOR ME.

Umkay. I have maybe 275-300 hours on 3 60's and they're all geared well enough to handle any act on inferno. I made a few million vendoring trash and picking up gold along the way - and I got 2 or 3 good drops that sold for 5-6 million. All of my characters are well equipped and not once have I bought a single item off the RMAH. I have 14m left over and now I'm just doing the expensive tweaks to rings or amulets on my characters, here and there.

I'm not deluded enough to think that I will get a drop that sells for 100's of millions just b/c I've played the game a few hundred hours. They sell for that much, because they drop that rarely. If everyone had insane, overpowered gear there wouldn't be much of a challenge, right? If you want to feel omnipotent - go play Hell mode. If you want the best gear (and don't realize that a random drop is random) then use the RMAH.

I really don't get where you're coming from...

sxegloxx

Aug 24, 2012
Umkay. I have maybe 275-300 hours on 3 60's and they're all geared well enough to handle any act on inferno. I made a few million vendoring trash and picking up gold along the way - and I got 2 or 3 good drops that sold for 5-6 million. All of my characters are well equipped and not once have I bought a single item off the RMAH. I have 14m left over and now I'm just doing the expensive tweaks to rings or amulets on my characters, here and there.

I'm not deluded enough to think that I will get a drop that sells for 100's of millions just b/c I've played the game a few hundred hours. They sell for that much, because they drop that rarely. If everyone had insane, overpowered gear there wouldn't be much of a challenge, right? If you want to feel omnipotent - go play Hell mode. If you want the best gear (and don't realize that a random drop is random) then use the RMAH.

My experience isn't unique. Glad you enjoying the game. I wish I was. I was making a comparison to what the AH has to offer vs grinding for loot. I still wager that the AH has better offerings than your equiped characters.

They should have made a stand alone game mode that took the AH OUT of the equation and used the old D2 loot and crafting models. OR MORE SIMPLY NEVER INTRODUCED RM into AH.

Last edited:

skillyho

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2005
My experience isn't unique. Glad you enjoying the game. I wish I was. I was making a comparison to what the AH has to offer vs grinding for loot. I still wager that the AH has better offerings than your equiped characters.

They should have made a stand alone game mode that took the AH OUT of the equation and used the old D2 loot and crafting models. OR MORE SIMPLY NEVER INTRODUCED RM into AH.

I just don't understand why the AH is something that impacts your gameplay if you don't prefer to use it. If you want to gear up as you level with your drop luck, it will happen sooner or later. If you have a drop for something you cannot use on your character - sell it and then use the gold you get to buy something for your own character. It seems like some folks want to get drops for their character, not use the system that was put into the game by the developers, and have good enough gear to handle the hardest difficulty in the game. Something has to give here in the way of realistic expectation.

I've read posts like yours, and I'm not trying to criticize you - honestly I'm not - I just don't understand why the game cannot be enjoyed if you're playing how you want to play it. It seems like something is being taken from you because you choose to not use a resource that was developed and implemented to promote economy and the pooling of resources for greater build diversity.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think it's because using the AH is simply too alluring, and while these services were available in Diablo II, they were never sanctioned by Blizzard. Now, the AH is run by Blizzard and is easily accessible in the game... actually, it's not that easily accessible. You still have to log out of your character! :colbert:

When leveling, I used the AH quite a bit, simply because I found myself stuck with gear that was anywhere from 5-15 levels (usually closer to 5) below my current level, because nothing good ever dropped. I was still willing to buy gear below my level as long as it was good, and I was fine with using any gear that I found through drops as long as it was good. However, finding a good drop for me was very, very rare. Although, to clarify, when I say a good drop, I don't mean the ultimate drop with the most perfect stat allocation possible. I just mean a shield that doesn't have Dexterity and Intellect on it. :p

EDIT:

Oh and since Borderlands 2 comes out two days before this, it might be awhile before I play it. I really wish they would have released it on the 11th, and then it would only have to compete with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (for me).

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005

People in D3 feel like they never get upgrades/good items because the bar is set so high because the Auction House is not only a market, but also a gallery. People see the exceptional items there and they set the bar for what's "good" extremely high, even in terms of what they think they need for Inferno; when in actuality, the best gear available is substantially overgeared even for Inferno. In D2, you had no such gallery; for the most part gear quality was determined relative to what you yourself found because that made up the majority of what you saw. As such, you never really had the expectation (or need, given D2's difficulty) for the 'best' gear [not because it didn't exist, but because you rarely saw it] which made drops seem relatively better. If you didn't know an Archon piece could have 200 Str, 200 Vit, 80 AR, 10% Life and +400 armor, then the piece you found with 80 Str, 80 Vit, and 40 AR looks a whole lot better. Not to mention, because D2 had no true "Inferno" level, gear requirements were simply less demanding, so in a way it just didn't matter as much either.

For instance, if TL had a vendor that sold super-enchanted crazy strong gear for exorbitant prices, people would react the same way. Even if it was 1000x more powerful than what was necessary to complete the game a lot of people would still use it to set the bar for what's 'good'.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah a lot of stuff to play coming up next few months. BL2, This, AC3, Halo 4, maybe Dishonored and Persona 4(vita), then Far Cry 3 in december. Yeah not all PC titles, but I enjoy my consoles too.

Last edited:

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

He's coming from the old game that was really popular and a big hit, Diablo 2. No Real Money AH meant more loot dropped. It wasn't uncommon to be equipped with some of the best Uniques in the game just playing by yourself and your friends.

Instead, this AH has forced developers to nerf the drop rates of good items as well as nerf gold drops up to the point where people were close to zero gold from dying and repairing.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Anybody else pre-ordered the 4-pack?

I just bought it and received 4 copies of Torchlight 1 but only two extra/giftable copies of Torchlight 2. I assume one copy is the one that's shown in my library, but that only makes 3 copies of Torchlight 2. What about the other one?

Edit: I restarted Steam and the missing copy showed up :eek:

Last edited:

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
I'm about 11 hours into Torchlight 1 mainquest now. Level 23 or something. I'm beginning to get really bored of this game now.

Hack, slash and loot, then scroll back to town selling equipment, then back again, and so on. Was fun the first hours, but now it's getting really boring. I'm playing as a Warrior Dual Wield guy.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I'm about 11 hours into Torchlight 1 mainquest now. Level 23 or something. I'm beginning to get really bored of this game now.

Hack, slash and loot, then scroll back to town selling equipment, then back again, and so on. Was fun the first hours, but now it's getting really boring. I'm playing as a Warrior Dual Wield guy.

11 hours in, you should have finished the main questline tbh. I think you're going too slow, that may be the reason you're a bit bored. My personal story is I play 8 hours of the main questline on easy mode, 12 hours on very hard, and the rest trying wacky builds and strats. Total of 44 hours played, not bad for a 3 dollar game.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Torchlight I doesn't have that great of a story. Honestly, it's kind of like Diablo I where the story wasn't nearly as developed as you just kind of fight down and down further into a dungeon. I had a a lot more fun when I got a huge class mod that included a bunch of new classes. I used an Assassin class and had a lot of fun playing it where I didn't enjoy any of the original classes.

In contrast, I like the Berserker in Torchlight II. You can't beat Purply Wolf Dash of Healing Awesomeness! :awe:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

Thats what all these games are.... grind for loot!

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
11 hours in, you should have finished the main questline tbh. I think you're going too slow, that may be the reason you're a bit bored. My personal story is I play 8 hours of the main questline on easy mode, 12 hours on very hard, and the rest trying wacky builds and strats. Total of 44 hours played, not bad for a 3 dollar game.

Probably 11 hours because I let it sit on the menu for a few hours this past weekend. So it may be I've actually played 7- 8 hours. Playing on Normal difficulty. Getting pretty hard now, so probably near the end of main questline....