Topps recalls 21 million pounds of meat!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: CorCentral
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
He even uses Daft Punk as a back track...

I know, it's whack because the (mangled) back track is better than the crap he's "rapping" about.

Hater. Stronger is awesome and most who like hip-hop agree. The latest album has won RAVE reviews :D

I'm a Hater also I suppose. Most RAP is CRRRRRRAP!
Stronger is wisdom? :laugh:

So is not liking this Crap! See, smarter already.

I hate rap too... I only listen to Kanye.

**Thread crap over**

Kanye and his so called POEM?
Yes, Ace that was crap also.

Cakes done son. Go eat a burger!

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: CorCentral
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
He even uses Daft Punk as a back track...

I know, it's whack because the (mangled) back track is better than the crap he's "rapping" about.

Hater. Stronger is awesome and most who like hip-hop agree. The latest album has won RAVE reviews :D

I'm a Hater also I suppose. Most RAP is CRRRRRRAP!
Stronger is wisdom? :laugh:

So is not liking this Crap! See, smarter already.

I hate rap too... I only listen to Kanye.

**Thread crap over**

What do you mean you hate rap except for Kanye? Have you even listened to Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco, Jay-Z, etc?

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Ground beef from a company this big is mixed in a LARGE hopper to ensure fat ratio
is within tolerance. The problem arises because a small amount of E-coli can contaminate
the entire batch and any subsequent meat that is processed with the same machine.
USDA regulations require machines (grinders,patty makers) be broken down and cleaned
after a certain amount of time. That's why this recall has gotten so huge, it seems the
company was not in compliance with the rules...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ShockwaveVT
yay for industrial agriculture

Pretty much. There are certainly advantages to it, but this kind of thing is one of its' major disadvantages.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: BUTCH1
Ground beef from a company this big is mixed in a LARGE hopper to ensure fat ratio
is within tolerance. The problem arises because a small amount of E-coli can contaminate
the entire batch and any subsequent meat that is processed with the same machine.
USDA regulations require machines (grinders,patty makers) be broken down and cleaned
after a certain amount of time. That's why this recall has gotten so huge, it seems the
company was not in compliance with the rules...

thats what i figured.

still 25 million pounds with only 25 sick is still pretty good odds heh. but i will be takeing back the 2 boxes i have.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
too bad the US Army wasn't shown a similar courtesy during
the Spanish American war. there's a little historical vignette
involving Armour ... providing meat for US troops ... about
1900 ... about 5000 US troops died of food poisoning.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Mr Incognito

What is the best way to freeze meat?

cold
you have to get it cold
remove the heat, apply the cold

lower the temperature basically

good luck!

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Mr Incognito
Not to hijack the thread but this does apply.

What is the best way to freeze meat?

Buy a vacuum machine and bags so you can avoid freezer burn, also highly
recommended if you like to buy beef in bulk when it's on sale.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's amazing, the demise of a 67 year old company, and it might not have even been their fault. They could have processed tainted beef from an outside source.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I knew it was over when I heard 25 people were sick. In this day and age, Topps didn't have a prayer.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
It's amazing, the demise of a 67 year old company, and it might not have even been their fault. They could have processed tainted beef from an outside source.

An example of another American company living on the edge. I wonder what percentage of American companies are in the same boat?

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: Squisher

An example of another American company living on the edge. I wonder what percentage of American companies are in the same boat?

What edge? They lost a whole year's worth of production _ 21.7 million pounds of its frozen hamburgers. I would think that a company doesn't have to be on the edge to not be able to absorb that kind of financial blow.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
Topps Meat Company LLC., located in Elizabeth, NJ, has voluntarily expanded its recall announced on September 25 to include 21.7 million pounds of ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. This represents all products produced by Topps with a ?sell by date? or ?best if used by date? that falls between September 25, 2007 and September 25, 2008.

This information may be found on the back panel of the package. All
recalled products will have a USDA establishment number of EST 9748, which is
located on the back panel of the package and/or in the USDA legend.

It is imperative that consumers look for these products in their freezers
immediately. If you have a product marked with the above information, Consumers should return any recalled product to the store where it was purchased for a full refund.

Symptoms of E. coli O157:H7 exposure could include stomach cramps and
diarrhea. Bloody diarrhea may develop. E. coli disease sometimes leads to a
complication called hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS). If you exhibited any of
these symptoms within 3 to 5 days of consuming any of the products specified
above, seek medical attention immediately.

----------------
Took the 12pack of burgers back with my receipt and was given full refund.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Stifko
Originally posted by: Squisher

What edge? They lost a whole year's worth of production _ 21.7 million pounds of its frozen hamburgers. I would think that a company doesn't have to be on the edge to not be able to absorb that kind of financial blow.

I didn't realize this. You mean they couldn't localize this to one lot number, but was typical of their daily practices over a whole year? What, was the toilet in the manufacturing facility funneled onto the production line?