Topps recalls 21 million pounds of meat!

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Topps vastly expands ground beef recall amid E. coli worries

TRENTON, N.J. ? The Topps Meat Co. today vastly expanded its recall of frozen hamburger patties that may be contaminated with E. coli after federal inspectors discovered inadequate safety measures at its plant.

The Elizabeth-based company said it?s recalling 21.7 million pounds of ground beef products, up from 332,000 pounds of ground beef initially recalled on Tuesday.

Investigators think 25 people may have been sickened in eight states including Indiana.
The recall represents all Topps products with either a ?sell by date? or ?best if used by date? between Sept. 25 this year and Sept. 25, 2008. The company said this information could be found on a package?s back panel.

All recalled products, according to Topps, will have a USDA establishment number of EST 9748, which is located on the back panel of the package and/or in the USDA legend.

I hope this helps someone.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i think most of their meat goes in a tube
i don't buy the meat tube

nope.

but it pre-formed patties. we have 2 boxes of 1/4th patties. they are great on the grill. wel except for the e.coli

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
some people need to learn to take a damn virus. seriously, wtf kind of immune system does the average american have? you encounter germs all the time, so wtf is the big deal? i haven't been sick in like 7 years, not including the common cold.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
some people need to learn to take a damn virus. seriously, wtf kind of immune system does the average american have? you encounter germs all the time, so wtf is the big deal? i haven't been sick in like 7 years, not including the common cold.

You seem, this particular strain of E Coli can kill you very painfully, I think.

I'm the furthest thing from a germophobe, but I like to know if my steak may kill me.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

Most people wouldn't get sick, but the elderly, young children, or people with immune deficiency diseases like AIDS are more vulnerable. Also some strain of E. coli are very deadly. It's not the E. coli that kill, it's the toxin they produce.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: Howard
Doesn't it die when the beef is cooked properly?

A burger without blood is like a day without sunshine.
Never eat a burger I cook. I don't know what comes after rare, but I don't know if "well-done" is a strong enough term. A step below "burned," how's that. :)

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I just was about to go check the freezer when I remembered I don't buy ground meat for precisely that reason :)

I still had to get up to flip the steak I'm grilling ;)

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Canai
I just was about to go check the freezer when I remembered I don't buy ground meat for precisely that reason :)

That's one big alternator...

That's the reason I grind my beef out of sirloin steaks, that was I know they didnt stuff horse anus down there.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
Originally posted by: Canai

That's one big alternator...

That's the reason I grind my beef out of sirloin steaks, that was I know they didnt stuff horse anus down there.

a good way to get around that worry is buy ground beef from a butcher. they use scraps from the stuff the cut up.

wich is what we do. its a little bit more epensive (unless you buy packages).

usually buy 20-50 lbs at once and freeze it.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Stop and think about it - the e-coli isn't something that grows all over the cow. It's specifically in the intestines. You know, where the cow shit is. If a little care was used, there is no reason for there to be any e-coli in your ground beef.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Stop and think about it - the e-coli isn't something that grows all over the cow. It's specifically in the intestines. You know, where the cow shit is. If a little care was used, there is no reason for there to be any e-coli in your ground beef.

yeah

they were saying it was from cross contimanation.

wich is what make sme worried.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: waggy

yeah

wtf do they do? Stick a whole cow in a huge grinder? HAHAH :laugh:

EDIT: that is so bad of me to laugh about. <shakes head>

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: waggy

yeah

wtf do they do? Stick a whole cow in a huge grinder? HAHAH :laugh:

EDIT: that is so bad of me to laugh about. <shakes head>

yeah. i been trying to figure it out.

my guess is they cut it up wrong (wich happens. when it does they don't use that meat) and just ignored it and people got sick.

as Drpizza said this should nto happen.