Topic for Software & Internet Law Paper?

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I have to write a paper for my Global Software Protection class. The topic can be related to "legal standard or controversy" or special problems on intellectual property related to computers.

I was thinking of doing it on encryption, and had a suggestion on the topic of government backdoors and the constitutionality of them. I really didn't want to do it on P2P apps since a bunch of people are doing it already, but if I can get convinced to do it, then I'll do it.

I was also thinking of doing it on some part of the DMCA, but probably not on the DVDJon case.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Write about how the GPL limits and/or stifles innovation because truly innovative ideas are most always sold for profit first and are then filtered down to the OS community.

If you have a million-dollar idea, would you implement it in a licensing scheme where you HAVE to give it away? No - you'd sell it first, and THEN release it to open-source.

THINK ABOUT IT: how many truly innovative ideas have we seen from the Linux community? It's all the same stuff with every distro. But Microsoft has Pocket PC, XP, set-top boxes, etc. It's because MS is well-funded.

The fun with Linux is putting the same old distro on Microsoft stuff (X-box, Pocket PCs, etc.). The fun with a for-profit software company is innovation and new products. The Linux community lags behind due to its very nature.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Well, I was going to refer you to my sister's paper on domain name dispute resolution, but apparently it's not available online. Darn San Diego law review.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Orsorum
Well, I was going to refer you to my sister's paper on domain name dispute resolution, but apparently it's not available online. Darn San Diego law review.

Double darn :D. I'll make a note of the topic, though. Thanks.