Top performing hard drives...still raptors?

AndyD2k

Feb 3, 2003
Thinking about switching out one of my drives. Wondering if a Raptor is still the best option. If it is, then I'll probably stick with what I have now as I couldn't bare all the noise it made back when I tried out the drive like 2 years ago

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The 750gb WDs are pretty good. They're about the same in performance/price, but you get a ton more storage.

SpeedEng66

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
I just installed a 150 gb raptor

it's louder than a regular 7200 hd but not by much.
the main noise I hear comin from the raptor is when it's "seeking"

other than that it's faster than my spinpoint when gaming but at a cost of low GB's

I think it's worth it!!

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
I would stick with a modern 7200 rpm drive the big names...Seagate, WD, and Samsung. You'll have a very difficult time differentiating these drives with a Raptor.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AndyD2k

Thinking about switching out one of my drives. Wondering if a Raptor is still the best option.
Which are you looking for... "Top performance" or "best option"? :laugh:

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
excellent point. this would, without a doubt, give the best possible performance. are you actually willing to spend that much though?

:shocked:H MY! For both the price and the speed!

AndyD2k

Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
Originally posted by: Blain

Thinking about switching out one of my drives. Wondering if a Raptor is still the best option.

excellent point. this would, without a doubt, give the best possible performance. are you actually willing to spend that much though?

hahah you guys got me there. I guess best performing for the price? :)

Anyway, can anyone recommend a 500 gig or should I be looking at bigger drives? I think adding 750 would be overkill for me

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
There aren't that many options in the HDD market, just get a SATA II 500GB drive. I'd still go with Seagate or WD, Maxtor drives catch on fire. (see thread in this page) :)

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
Originally posted by: Blain

hahah you guys got me there. I guess best performing for the price? :)

Anyway, can anyone recommend a 500 gig or should I be looking at bigger drives? I think adding 750 would be overkill for me

I know many will disagree with my setup but I have been running RAID 0 for more than who knows for so many years. At present I have 2 WD 250GB SE16 in RAID 0 and very happy. Before this last upgrade, I was seriously thinking about using Raptor 150GB but with limited storage and high price, I decided with 2 WD 250GB SE16 for about $100 for both and very happy with the performance! Back up, I have a 3rd hdd 500Gb for back up of my important files.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Raptor RAID0 ten member disk scratch volume here. It sings both in performance and acoustics. Probably would sound like a sleetstorm in a tent when driven hard but we would never hear it most of the time.

I've had similarly configured systems with a single 150GB raptor and performance is noticeably slower - IOP 341 based host with 2GB cache really helps here. A raptor for the OS and a larger drive as needed for storage would probably give the best performance without breaking the bank.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
ssd's now eat raptors for lunch.
ssds in raid really pile on the slaughter.
ssd = $$$ though
so perhaps the raptor still wins on bang for buck for average gamer.
ultimate consumer grade system no more though

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Any drive with 32mb cache will do well. Not sure if those come under 750gb though.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
ssd = $$$ though

SSD has poor STR though so a lot are needed and the cost is very high. If low access times under high queue depth is required they work well. Raptors are a waste for gamers - never understood the relationship. GPU pushes pixels not storage. If getting to the next level is goal this can be accomplished by other means - slapping a raptor in the system doesn't make much sense. Striping a pair on cheesy hostraid even makes less sense. (other than e-pecker factor!)

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
ssd = $$$ though

SSD has poor STR though so a lot are needed and the cost is very high. If low access times under high queue depth is required they work well. Raptors are a waste for gamers - never understood the relationship. GPU pushes pixels not storage. If getting to the next level is goal this can be accomplished by other means - slapping a raptor in the system doesn't make much sense. Striping a pair on cheesy hostraid even makes less sense. (other than e-pecker factor!)

A lot of gamers are dumb enough to think that a hard drive is a bottleneck