Top mounted USB ports for IR receiver?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I'm researching mATX mini tower cases for my HTPC... the space it has to go into is a standard desktop PC slot, 8 3/8" wide, 17 3/4" tall... which is a bit limiting. It seems all the really nice cases are just over those dimensions... :'( ...everything else looks like it was designed in 1970 or has bad reviews (get a clue HEC and Rosewill.)

The nicest case I have found is the Fractal Design Define Mini which will barely squeak in width-wise at a claimed 8.27" wide. However... it's USB ports are on top of the case. I just ordered the Rosewill IR remote, will the IR receiver be able to pick up the signal while positioned upwards?

The other option I have is the SilverStone Temjin TJ08B-E... but at $100 is pretty pricey and is a 'backwards' case, and I don't suspect it will be as quiet as the Fractal.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
You an use the included USB extension to put the ir receiver wherever the cord reaches, oriented however you'd like.

I like my htpc completely hidden, with just the receiver sticking out below the tv bezel.

Sep 12, 2004
Since the remote comes with a USB extension cable one option would be to use that with the receiver and you would have some flexibility for placing it in a more optimal location, maybe with the help of some velcro tape.

Edit: lol, beaten by seconds

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I missed the USB extension... That's good news! Looks like the case issue is settled!

ASK THE COMMUNITY