Top Gear (US) Season Four

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by arnoc, Feb 26, 2013.

1. arnoc

arnoc Member

I've got to admit, I didn't initially like the US version. But lately it's becoming its own show. And I've got to admit, the latest episode of the season, RV's was pretty bad ass. While Tanner Foust and Adam both pulled off what I'd expect to see on UK version, Rutledge's was pretty damn unique and unexpected. I'd like to know how he did it. It looks like could be a fun project just for the hell of it.

What are your guys thoughts on the show?

2. nerp

nerp Diamond Member

It is coming into its own. I hated it at first and I still groan when they do the exact same challenges as the UK version, but I'm beginning to like their personalities. Adam scarily reminds me of a longtime friend of mine (down to the hair and gait) even the way he dresses. I wish they did more car reviews. They spend 5/6 of the show on the challenge and the last 2 minutes they're driving a supercar and that's it.

3. SearchMaster

SearchMaster Diamond Member

It's a completely different show than TGUK. It's a comedy show loosely based around cars where TGUK is a car show with a comedy base. I personally love the show - it makes me laugh every time. I might be meeting Rut soon (friend of a friend).

4. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

It's on season 4 already?? And I haven't seen a single episode

5. Zivic

Zivic Diamond Member

you guys think it's getting better? I actually turned the show off halfway through the second episode this season and haven't watched since. I don't care to watch half@ssed (I am being nice) TV hosts go through stupid challenges in crappy cars.

IMHO it has gotten much worse this season, not better

6. waggy

waggy No Lifer

i like the UK show (though the anti-american slant gets annoying). i tried to watch the US version but it was terrible.

7. Don Vito Corleone

I have tried and tried with that show but can't warm up to it. None of the three hosts seems to have a genuine passion for cars (yes, including professional driver Tanner), and none of them is truly witty. I am a huge car buff and will watch even mediocre car shows, but TGUSA annoys me too much to avoid changing the channel.

8. vshah

vshah Lifer

^ agreed. it really bothers me when they don't know stuff any self respecting car guy would know.

9. Harrod

Harrod Golden Member

I can't stand that Ferrara seems to bring the biggest piece of crap car to each challenge that he can find and then acts like he's being nostalgic.

10. GoatMonkey

GoatMonkey Golden Member

I do get annoyed that they don't actually review cars. That's really the best part about the UK version, watching endless drifts and cool camera work. Their reviews are well produced.

Fifth Gear does more reviews, but they don't do them nearly as well as the UK version either.

I really get bored with the challenges even on the UK version. Some of them are funny, but it's mostly just stupid. They would probably even agree with me. They know how stupid it is. I like that they do them though, a straight car review show can get dry. See MotorWeek, I love it, but it's so stiff.

It's too bad that Adam Corolla's Car Show got cancelled, that was a little better than Top Gear US. That had some stuff I didn't like about it too, but I like that all of them exist. Just the simple fact that enough people are into cars to keep these shows on the air is a good thing. None of them will ever please everyone.

11. foghorn67

foghorn67 Lifer

You TGUK nuts that bash the TGUS show have to remember something. TGUK was crap until they re-formulated the show. The producers wanted TGUS to come into it's own, instead of a copy, like TGAU.

12. punjabiplaya

punjabiplaya Diamond Member

:thumbsup:

I thought tonight's episode was great.

13. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

Every advertisement I see is for them doing a stunt/challenge from TGUK...

How is that 'coming into its own'?

FWIW, I'd watch it if they kicked the NASCAR guy off. But they haven't, and he makes me want to kick puppies at his face.

14. MagickMan

MagickMan Diamond Member

I won't watch until they, you know, actually start reviewing some damned cars. :\

15. jmarti445

jmarti445 Senior member

My favorite show on the History Channel(I like also Pawn Stars but it is overplayed)

16. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

I've seen every season of Top Gear UK, and I don't recall having any issues with the first few seasons of it. Yes, even the episodes that didn't have James May (had Jason Dawe instead). Sure, it wasn't nearly as zany, but it was still interesting... even Dawe's used car buying advice still had some value to it. Plus, he showed off a Skyline GT-R R32 in one episode. That always wins points with me!

17. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

I think it sucks.

The Car Show with Adam Carolla and Matt Farah was infinitely more entertaining. They should have had those two guys host instead of Rutledge and Ferrara. Tanner Foust is fine... at least he can drive.

#17 JulesMaximus, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  18. Sixguns

Sixguns Platinum Member

I just cant get into it. I see the same things from the UK show. The US has not made me laugh once yet either.

19. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

I'm watching this show for the first time. I don't understand how they chose the hosts. It's two guys who look, talk, and act the same, plus a slow witted hipster...

20. satyajitmenon

satyajitmenon Golden Member

Just watched the most recent episode of Top Gear USA.

They did an American supercar shootout. The Saleen S7, Rossion Q1 and Lucra LC470.

How do you take three cars like those, and make the most boring episode on TV ever? That must take a special talent.

21. zaydq

zaydq Senior member

Lol... No you haven't.

You've seen every season since 2002, not since the 90s. Top Gear used to have Jeremy Clarkson, Tiff Needell(now doing fifth gear), and some other boring douche. It was horrible and got canceled. Then, they reformulated in 2002 and now we have the TGUK we love.

22. satyajitmenon

satyajitmenon Golden Member

Quentin Willson?

23. nerp

nerp Diamond Member

I take back my comments earlier this year in this thread. This season has sucked. Amphicars? COME ON. Stop rehashing old Top Gear UK stuff. And their personalities just have not been interesting this year. Not enough cool cars, too much challenge BS. Season has gotten progressively less interesting. Oh well. I guess I was incorrectly optimistic.

24. phreaqe

phreaqe Golden Member

I think the reviews are the most boring part of the show. I find when there are episodes where its nothing but reviews i turn it off and skip to one that has something more interesting. It was the challenges that made me fall in love with the show. In fact, i think if it was not for he challenges the show would not exist because that it was got people talking about it and what got so many people watching.

25. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

That's where you and I disagree. I can't stand Tanner. He comes off as a complete douche 90% of the time. No doubt he can drive but he's not at all likable.

Rut and Adam at least have some personality.