Top Fuel Drag Racing...

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Just got a few questions about it, its on at the moment here and just got me wondering.

Why do the rear tires have such a high profile? it must be what 140mm? Im guessing its something to do with more flex or 'stretch' but i'm not quite sure how this improves performance.

Do each set of tires only get used once? i.e 1 drag

And lastly how much do they weigh? I know this must vary over classes but i mean the fastest ones.. for a lack of knowledge lol.

Must be such a interesting feeling accelerating to about 300mph in 5 or so seconds...

VWhed

Jan 23, 2004
Tire diameter has something to do with a "gearing effect" as well. Tires grow as speed increases and helps top speed. I think they get a few runs out of a set of tires. Not sure of weight, never lifted one.....

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
The cars don't have a suspension, other than what flex the tires offer. The whole car acts as one big ladder bar to apply the power to the rear wheels.
The tires can be used for more than one run. Just depends on how they look afterward.

Weight is, I think, around 2200 lbs. Maybe slightly more.

KMurphy

Golden Member
May 16, 2000
From zero speed, they are short and wide which provides better traction. As speed increases, the diameter gets larger which provides higher vehicle speed for a given motor speed.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: KMurphy
From zero speed, they are short and wide which provides better traction. As speed increases, the diameter gets larger which provides higher vehicle speed for a given motor speed.
That, and the clutch gradually locks up and gets more power to the rear wheels.