Top AGP Video Card That Supports SM 3.0

1337n00b

Oct 11, 2008
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the top AGP card that supports SM 3.0. Right now so many games require SM 3.0 to play but I'm still stuck with an AGP slot adn can't afford a whole new rig yet. The top one I found was the Radeon X1950 Series that has an AGP version. Does anyone know if the AGP version of this card is reliable? Or if there are any better cards out there for my purpose. I have a relic Pentium 4 3.0GHz HT, 1GB DDR400, X800 Pro, 350 Watt Power Supply. Unfortunately the X1950 requires a 450 Watt or greater.

Thanks for the help!

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
here is the one I would go for

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814129116

It has a lifetime warranty and says it rated for 300+ Watt power supply so you should be fine.

The only problem with the 3xx0 series for AGP is that they are not officially supported by AMD/ATI and the drivers will only work from the manufacturer. At least this is my understanding.

1337n00b

Oct 11, 2008
Originally posted by: nenforcer
here is the one I would go for

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814129116

It has a lifetime warranty and says it rated for 300+ Watt power supply so you should be fine.

The only problem with the 3xx0 series for AGP is that they are not officially supported by AMD/ATI and the drivers will only work from the manufacturer. At least this is my understanding.

Thanks for finding this nenforcer!

Would you happen to know why one has lower power reccomendations then the other? Also the Visiontek needs a 6-pin connecter and the Sapphire needs an 8-pin. Would they both come with a converter if neccessary? I don't know which one I have.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Have you considered selling your system and building a new one? Assuming you get $100 for your current computer parts, you can upgrade to a dual core PCI-E system for the price of that AGP 3850 along with the $100. Currently you're just digging a deeper grave for your old system.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
There is no reason for anyone to spend 180 bucks on an AGP card, ever.

80 bucks gets a PCI E card better than a 3850, and I don't know if it would be too crazy to say that the left over 100 would get a better mobo/cpu combo faster than anything with an AGP slot.

Ram is like 40 bucks nowadays so that only increases the reason NOT to waste money on a AGP rig.

1337n00b

Oct 11, 2008
Originally posted by: angry hampster
Have you considered selling your system and building a new one? Assuming you get $100 for your current computer parts, you can upgrade to a dual core PCI-E system for the price of that AGP 3850 along with the $100. Currently you're just digging a deeper grave for your old system.

I have considered it but wouldn't know where to sell it. Ebay is too much of a pain. And I don't know where else I could sell it.

I don't really have the money to buy a new rig and am just looking for a new vid card to hold me up for some time.

1337n00b

Oct 11, 2008
Originally posted by: Insomniator
There is no reason for anyone to spend 180 bucks on an AGP card, ever.

80 bucks gets a PCI E card better than a 3850, and I don't know if it would be too crazy to say that the left over 100 would get a better mobo/cpu combo faster than anything with an AGP slot.

Ram is like 40 bucks nowadays so that only increases the reason NOT to waste money on a AGP rig.

You are right about the mobo/cpu combo, I looked on Tiger Direct and there are soem deals. Except I don't know how to build a new computer from scratch. I can only install certain parts.

Would the AGP version of the card suffer in performance compared to PCIe version? Also would my current rig hold the vid card back to the point where there wouldn't be much of a performance boost compared to my current rig?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
You have a choice .. learn to build your own PC .. it is not difficult and there are many tutorials; and you can get help here and in the other forums
- or you can get ripped off on a AGP card that won't really do much for your old system .. you will still get approximately the same frame rates - more or less - but all you will be able to do is increase details and filtering

there comes a time to stop throwing money into a AGP pit. But if you absolutely cannot do it, a 3850 will give you "prettier" than you have now.
- you might consider buying "used" for a AGP card
rose.gif

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
building your own is not very hard. if you can install parts, then thats basically what it is (only more parts). you could probably find some easy how-to guides online as well.
if you know how to use a screwdriver then you are all set.

also look into craigslist for selling older parts/systems etc

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Look in the General Hardware forum, there's a System Builder's thread there (stickied) with guidance for selecting the best cost/performance parts and suggested system builds for newbies. Also look around the Hot Deals forum for the current specials (helpful for saving a few more bucks once you've picked out your basic components) before you buy.

Building is very simple these days, seriously if you've swapped video cards or hard drives you can handle assembling a system with no problems. And you'll get plenty of support here on the forums.