Top 5 problems in America today.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Why does terrorism rank so highly on so many lists? What exactly is happening in USA that doesn't make it into newspapers over here?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
1. people voting for bush
2. people voting for bush
3. people voting for bush
4. people voting for bush
5. nader

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
1. Retarded notion that we need to police the world
2. Education
3. Healthcare
4. Broken tax system (corporations should have NO tax breaks)
5. National Debt

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: MathMan
1(tied) Education

you mean public education? The one run by bureacrats and shoveled thousands of dollars per student? Because most private schools and eductaion seem to do just fine.

1(tied) the erosion of liberty

Hmmm... haven't noticed this. I must not have been one of the millions of Americans who have had their liberties trampled on by this oppressive government.

Although I'd actually be flattered if I found out GWB was listening in on my calls-- it might mean for once someone thought what I said was important.

2 Terrorism

Yep, yer right. Thousands of innocent people being killed by extremists definitately takes a back seat to me wondering if that phone call I made to Al Zawahari (blessed servant of Muhammed, peace be upon him) in Afghanistan was monitered by the NSA or not. Good call...

3 Religious Fundamentalism

In my opinion this should be ranked higher. Nothing, and I mean nothing, demonstrates whats wrong with America more than seeing people go to church or temple and practice their beliefs.

4 Rising cost of Healthcare

It's like you are reading my mind... we all know as Americans we have a RIGHT to cheap healthcare. And cheap gas. And cheap food. And cheap labor (as long as we are paying illegal immigrants cheaply and not union members). And cushy, high paying jobs (as long as these go to union members and not illegal immigrants).

Very well said. I wish I could shake your hand.

Jul 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Doboji
I say

1(tied) Education
1(tied) the erosion of liberty
2 Terrorism
3 Religious Fundamentalism
4 Rising cost of Healthcare

how many % of doctors now a days are in it for money?

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
wtf, just browsing through the first page, and you guys have got to be kidding me. compared to other nations, those are not problems at all. Non of the problems mentioned thus far, except maybe for Religious Fundamentalism and maybe lack of concern for environment are problems.

fine, here's my list:

1. EXTREME Religious Fundamentalism
2. Too much emition of Carbon per person. America stands for wastefulness, and not efficiency. We need more efficiency
3. Lack of practical punishment in a loophole-ridden justice system
4. Too much time and wasted on deliberation, which leads to lackluster actions, etc. We need a Gov't that does more with less time and deliberation. It's a severe lack of efficiency in the Gov't.

5. Too much free speech and too much freedoms. Population needs to be under control through strict laws and regulations. Harsher punishment for petty crimes is needed to act as deterance. We need the population to be a lot more disciplined and do what they're told right away isntead of whining about it. Too much money is lost on stupid shiet (like lazy people who gets gov't welfare and foodstamps. Bullshiet. It should be more like nature intended. Survival for the fittest, and people should learn that quick. Ethics be damned. People screaming about ethical issues would scream in horror for that poor antelope who got gangbanged by a group of hungry Lions who just want to survive). More order is needed, and due to this whole differing views on politics and what not, we need everyone to be on the same damn page. There's too many nonsensical verbal abuse and violence due to too much varying views of politics.

Oh ya, no. 6:

Too much extreme fanatism on every single viewpoint/side/etc (PETA, leftleft wing, rightright wing, fanatical violent environmentalists, etc.). Stuff like that should be outlawed. Some people push freedom of speech way too far. Maybe that's why I'm all for the Patriot Act. I really have nothing to hide, and I'm a law abiding citizen. Just live your life, help your neighbors, and work hard. I donno why people get worked about stupid shiet and waste money and time on stupid shiet.

/sarcasm.

<<<non sarcastic mode>>>
OBVIOUSLY, trying to implement these views would only cause more crime, riots and backlash because the populace has grown accustomed to these freedoms. I suppose it's already too late. Trying to biuld a stronger society with an already weak foundation is tough. So all of us spouting these things are just spouting nonsense because for one, it cannot be mended immediately.

People have grown accustomed to our current USA society for a long long time now. But w/ the proliferation of mass communication, and isntant communication, the physical barrier of geography is now down. people who lived with groups of people in their communities are now met w/ a flurry of varying views across the internet. much flamewars insued.

also, I don't think the rising cost of healthcare should be a problem. Docs sacrifice their entire youth to give you their damn service. They should be well rewarded for it. If you weren't born w/ the genes to survive, then survival comes at a cost. Morbid, sad, nonethical yes I know. It really sucks :(.

Docs don't make NEARLY as much as they did during the 80s/90s. Today's healthcare is probably way better than before.
AND PEOPLE SHOULD TAKE BETTER CARE OF THEMSELVES. YA COMPLAIN ABOUT STUPID HEALTHCARE COSTS. LATER YOU EAT @ MCDONALDS, THEN GET FAT. You're fvcking fault, therefore you PAY for your own actions for getting fat and a whole plethora of health problems associated with it. And People fvcking complain about rising health costs?!!?! holy shiet?! We should pay MORE to docs these days. And also people sueing up the roof for even the smallest of malpractices?! No wonder malpractice insurance is so high, and the evergrowing fat people of America is complaining of rising medical costs?! unfvckingbelievable.

EDIT: Mathman, what you posted was really well said. It wasn't in my mind, but you've changed my mind on a few things. Very well posted, heh.

loic2003

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
1) The god squad ignorant fools who haven't even read up on the history of their religion, but blindy scream and shout about it, thinking they're pure, decent souls. I love the way many are fat (um... gluttony? Does that feature in the bible anywhere? What about greed?), but that's beside the point. Essentially, the whole crazed religious idiots is a serious problem since it's affecting the way the county (and therefore world) is running.

2) The entire government. The goon in charge, the way no-one questions him, the way he can get away with arriving on stage with a load of flag-waving, give some pre-prepared BS pro-american yee-ha pep-talk and then swagger away without having to defend his decisions. You realise that in the UK there's prime minister question time where the opposition (this means the other main party opposing the political party in power) grills the prime minister and other politicians on live TV? Politicians have to go on live TV, defend their decisions and give reasoning. It's far from perfect, but it's a million miles from the american way. I'd argue that americans don't even live in a true democracy.

3) The self-fellating american BS. You lick your own rings all the time and have no clue about the rest of the world. You think if it's american then it's *awesome*. Like the guy who was confused as to why america was sucking at the world cup, "OMG, we're great at the world league of basketball, why not the soccerball world cup?!11!one!!".
Granted, you focus heavily on sports and the olympic results show, but engineering wise you're back in the 60's "OMG LOOK! This brand new 2006 car has a freaking HEMI!!! WHOA!!" Hemi's were standard in 1960. Even a smart-car will have 'hemi' cylinders...

4) You think you're free but actually live in a totalitarian state. Your government allows you to own small arms (yeah, like a 9mm glock is going to stop an F16/abrams tank/whatever) so you feel you're all free and all that. Then you have flags in every schoolroom which you swear to or whatever each day (you know, they do that in North Korea, too). Finally, they totally control you under the weak-ass guise of 'teh war on terror'. News shock: in the US you're waaaaaayyy more likely to die from being a fat bastard, so where's the war on being a tubby motherfvcker? hmm, that's kinda strange, eh?

5) You selfish bastards couldn't give half a sh!t about the environment. Your cars are massive "OMG penis too small, must buy a hummer" and you continue to produce crappy engines which instead of using "techmoilogy" to improve efficiency, simply make bigger to increase power ("OMG, but it makes a nice noise!!1"). Nice. So everyone else is trying hard to work towards the kyoto agreement, but you don't want to becuase some poor countries can't/won't join. Pathetic. You produce 1/4 of the world's pollution and are supposed to be the world's most powerful country yet you don't have the stones to actually do something worthwhile ("OMG but we make great warplanes!").

That's all for now.

bluemax

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2000
Originally posted by: loic2003

5) You selfish bastards couldn't give half a sh!t about the environment. Your cars are massive "OMG penis too small, must buy a hummer" and you continue to produce crappy engines which instead of using "techmoilogy" to improve efficiency, simply make bigger to increase power ("OMG, but it makes a nice noise!!1"). Nice. So everyone else is trying hard to work towards the kyoto agreement, but you don't want to becuase some poor countries can't/won't join. Pathetic. You produce 1/4 of the world's pollution and are supposed to be the world's most powerful country yet you don't have the stones to actually do something worthwhile ("OMG but we make great warplanes!").

S'okay. The US pollution blows up here to Canada to make us sick instead of them. They dump their pollution into waters that flow north too.

Mind you, big freakin' cars are all over the continent of North America. It has to stop.

I saw an advert for the new movie "Who killed the electric car?" Looks good! :)

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Apathy. Most people don't give a sh!t about anything. People, property.

Eduction. People don't even know how to think anymore and logic does not exist in the heads of 65% of people.

US citizens care about politics less that the citizens of most countries in the world. It is embarrasing to see huge protests in third world countries when most Americans wouldn't even know who Alberto Gonzales is.