Top 5 problems in America today.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
- Fat people
- Bush
- Disproportionate use of natural resources and emission of polution
- Fat people
- Biggotry

And the worst of all! The fat, bush supporting, biggots that use up ludicrous amounts of natural resources! :p ;)

In seriousness, my big concerns are (in no particular order):
- Healthcare costs
- Poor education
- Poor environmental planning
- Extremism in all its forms (religous, political, mountain dew, etc...)
- Erosion of civil liberties / apathy

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: Xonoahbin
1. Lack of Responsibility
Come on people, I'm so sick of seeing people blame Grand Theft Auto for their killing of 50 people. Quit saying McDonalds made you fat when you chose to eat there for years. Stop blaming everyone else and BLAME YOURSELF for your mistakes and downfalls.

2. Our Poor Public Education System
We're falling behind the other countries in the world in our scientific development and development in areas that require good education. Why? Because people are disinterested in these areas during primarily, secondary and high school. The people that are interested are few and far between and are slowed down by our particularly poor education system. I hate sitting with idiots in high school classes, where they just slow me down. If our education system were proper, I wouldn't be wasting time waiting for morons.

3. The Government/Governmental System
What I mean by this is primarily the republican/democratic divide. It's like putting blinders on Americans and saying "either a democrat or a republican is your best choice" when it may not be the case. We should stop with this republican/democratic BS and give citizens the proper options. Another part of this governmental system notion is the fact that we're getting more and more corrupt in the senate and in the white house. Our president is kind of screwed up, I'm not going to lie. He recently gave tax breaks to the oil companies.. what kind of a dip does that? They're already making far too much money. How about that knucklehead Alaskan senator that was avidly defending the oil companies? They're clearly in his pocket. Our senate almost voting to ban the burning of the flag, only missing it by one vote, is just horrible. I can't believe our senators would seriously consider it.

4. The Improper Balance of Censorship
Taken a look at MTV music lately? They block out almost any word that will offend anyone. They block out God? They block out "shells." They block out any weapon, any curse word, anything. Taken a look at MTV's regular shows? You'll regularly see "bitch" dropped on there, along with a TON of sexual inuendo, fake violence, talk of violence, etc. Check out some primetime shows and you'll see even more sexual content. How about Desperate Housewives, eh? Yeah, they're going to block out "gun" on an anti-violence song (yes, it's happened, and I've watched the video recently,) but they won't block out Eva Longoria, or whoever that is, nearly nude. Retarded.

5. America's Intolerance of Foreign Policies/Customs
We hate the French. We hate the Middle East. We call all Muslims terrorists. We're dead wrong. If Americans were brought up to know the TRUTH about Islam and other religions, the TRUTH about countries, and more, then we wouldn't have gone into Iraq and attacked them. Most Americans thought it was an alright idea since they opposed the Middle East. Middle Eastern people aren't necessarily bad people, they just view the world differently. We need to become more tolerant of them and many more groups, or else we'll get into BIG trouble.

Just the top five from an intelligent 16 year old American :)

:thumbsup: to #5... that's why i'm so sick of this "patriotic" bullcrap everyone keeps throwing around.... i'm also sick of the idea that there's such thing as american culture. there isn't... there's only americanization. we try to americanize everyone and rape them of their own culture. 3 cheers to the french guy who drove his car into a mcdonald's in protest of mcdonald's even being on french soil in the first place.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
- Fat people
- Bush
- Disproportionate use of natural resources and emission of polution
- Fat people
- Biggotry

And the worst of all! The fat, bush supporting, biggots that use up ludicrous amounts of natural resources! :p ;)

In seriousness, my big concerns are (in no particular order):
- Healthcare costs
- Poor education
- Poor environmental planning
- Extremism in all its forms (religous, political, mountain dew, etc...)
- Erosion of civil liberties / apathy

:confused:
why you gotta pick on my mountain dew?
meh, don't worry about it, I like vault better anyway ;)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Don't forget (if it hasn't been mentioned yet): The subtle change in our government from "We the People" to "We the Corporations".

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Come on people, I'm so sick of seeing people blame Grand Theft Auto for their killing of 50 people. Quit saying McDonalds made you fat when you chose to eat there for years. Stop blaming everyone else and BLAME YOURSELF for your mistakes and downfalls.

We're falling behind the other countries in the world in our scientific development and development in areas that require good education. Why? Because people are disinterested in these areas during primarily, secondary and high school. The people that are interested are few and far between and are slowed down by our particularly poor education system. I hate sitting with idiots in high school classes, where they just slow me down. If our education system were proper, I wouldn't be wasting time waiting for morons.

What I mean by this is primarily the republican/democratic divide. It's like putting blinders on Americans and saying "either a democrat or a republican is your best choice" when it may not be the case. We should stop with this republican/democratic BS and give citizens the proper options. Another part of this governmental system notion is the fact that we're getting more and more corrupt in the senate and in the white house. Our president is kind of screwed up, I'm not going to lie. He recently gave tax breaks to the oil companies.. what kind of a dip does that? They're already making far too much money. How about that knucklehead Alaskan senator that was avidly defending the oil companies? They're clearly in his pocket. Our senate almost voting to ban the burning of the flag, only missing it by one vote, is just horrible. I can't believe our senators would seriously consider it.

Taken a look at MTV music lately? They block out almost any word that will offend anyone. They block out God? They block out "shells." They block out any weapon, any curse word, anything. Taken a look at MTV's regular shows? You'll regularly see "bitch" dropped on there, along with a TON of sexual inuendo, fake violence, talk of violence, etc. Check out some primetime shows and you'll see even more sexual content. How about Desperate Housewives, eh? Yeah, they're going to block out "gun" on an anti-violence song (yes, it's happened, and I've watched the video recently,) but they won't block out Eva Longoria, or whoever that is, nearly nude. Retarded.

We hate the French. We hate the Middle East. We call all Muslims terrorists. We're dead wrong. If Americans were brought up to know the TRUTH about Islam and other religions, the TRUTH about countries, and more, then we wouldn't have gone into Iraq and attacked them. Most Americans thought it was an alright idea since they opposed the Middle East. Middle Eastern people aren't necessarily bad people, they just view the world differently. We need to become more tolerant of them and many more groups, or else we'll get into BIG trouble.

So the #1 problem in the country is the occasional frivolous lawsuit? :confused:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: 6000SUX

So the #1 problem in the country is the occasional frivolous lawsuit? :confused:

Maybe the number two problem is lack of personal responsibility and the number one problem is lack of reading comprehension?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
1. stupid people
2. bullshit industry
3. ignorance
4. stupid people believing in imaginary people living in the clouds
5. stupid people easily manipulated

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
I agree with a lot of the points you guys have made, but here is my top 5 in no particular order:

1. Lack of personal responsibility for our actions (Everyone is always trying to blame/sue someone else.)
2. Education
3. Lawsuits are getting totally out of hand
4. Corporate greed (gas prices fall under this category) When you see how much CEO's make compared to the average employee's it's ridiculous.
5. Families aren't important anymore. Such as marriages that last a few weeks and how much more common is it to see a mom/dad raising children on their own.

There's probably other things that I think are more important than these but these are the first that popped into my head.

Tangerines

Oct 20, 2005
My Top 5:

#1: Bad Education system

#2: Disregard for the environment

#3: Rampant obesity

#4: Partisanship in government

#5: Corruption in government, ex. "Pork Barrel" spending

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Amused

Maybe the number two problem is lack of personal responsibility and the number one problem is lack of reading comprehension?

Your post has a mystical quality that renders it unapproachable to the logical mind. I'm all for freedom of religion and smokin' the ganj, but let's stay on topic.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Straight truth:

1) Political correctness
2) Godlessness
3) Personal responsibility (the outcome of #1 & #2)
4) Dual income parents
5) "I deserve" mentality

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
maybe healthcare wouldn't be so bad if 2/3 of america wasn't overweight and 1/3 wasn't clinically obese. seriously, people need to take care of themselves. i know not everyone has a ridiculous metabolism, but that's no excuse for what we have today.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Straight truth:

1) Political correctness
2) Godlessness
4) Dual income parents
5) "I deserve" mentality

Common sense and personal responsibility are NOT the exclusive domain of religion and deity belief.

Read some Ayn Rand, for fsck's sake.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Your post has a mystical quality that renders it unapproachable to the logical mind. I'm all for freedom of religion and smokin' the ganj, but let's stay on topic.

I am on topic and haven't even seen pot for 20+ years.

Your post is absurd because you assume he meant personal responsibility was all about lawsuits when he clearly used those as mere examples of a trend.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
1. Government spending
2. Taxation
3. Excessive rules on firearms
4. Excessive rules on drugs
5. Excessive rules on <insert something else here>

Xonoahbin

Aug 16, 2005

Your post is absurd because you assume he meant personal responsibility was all about lawsuits when he clearly used those as mere examples of a trend.

Excellently put, I couldn't have put it better myself.

compnovice

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2005
1) Busch Light
2) Bushes (in the nether region...ewwww)
3) Bausch (& Lomb contact lenses)

Hmmm....am I forgetting something....

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Straight truth:

1) Political correctness
2) Godlessness
4) Dual income parents
5) "I deserve" mentality

Common sense and personal responsibility are NOT the exclusive domain of religion and deity belief.

Read some Ayn Rand, for fsck's sake.

I'm surprised actually. You and I agree on so many aspects of this topic for years now.

We all make choices/decisions and should reap the consequences. When you remove those consequences comes the problems. Difficult to convey my point on a forum.

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005

My post is not absurd, it is to the point. I asked the poster to explain himself further, and you chose to trot out Tired Attack #1, like I can't read.

Like it or not, to explain the lack of "personal responsibility" in America by using only two isolated, frivolous lawsuits does not exactly do the job of convincing anyone that this is really the #1 problem in America. My focusing on the single symptom of frivolous lawsuits means that my reply was dead on target.

If the thing exists, the poster should explain it better-- and then explain how the hell it is the #1 problem. Foolishness.

Next time you attack someone, learn to read yourself, and think a little before you post instead of neffing and trolling.

Xonoahbin

Aug 16, 2005
Alright, I'd love to explain myself. People are ALWAYS blaming others for EVERYTHING. It's time for Americans to stop blaming everyone else and blame themselves. The only way to improve yourself, and therefore your country, is by accepting responsibility and recognizing faults. The biggest reason why America is falling behind in the world is because we don't take accountability seriously, and therefore don't improve ourselves sufficiently. A good example of this is being a student in school. You're responsible for homework, right? Well, if you always make the excuse that you didn't do your homework, let's say because Grand Theft Auto told you not to, then you won't end up doing it. If you blame yourself for it, you'll likely begin to feel guilty and improve yourself. The moral of the story is that you need to take responsibility for your own actions and not blame others for things that YOU do or that happen to YOU.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Alright, I'd love to explain myself. People are ALWAYS blaming others for EVERYTHING. It's time for Americans to stop blaming everyone else and blame themselves. The only way to improve yourself, and therefore your country, is by accepting responsibility and recognizing faults. The biggest reason why America is falling behind in the world is because we don't take accountability seriously, and therefore don't improve ourselves sufficiently. A good example of this is being a student in school. You're responsible for homework, right? Well, if you always make the excuse that you didn't do your homework, let's say because Grand Theft Auto told you not to, then you won't end up doing it. If you blame yourself for it, you'll likely begin to feel guilty and improve yourself. The moral of the story is that you need to take responsibility for your own actions and not blame others for things that YOU do or that happen to YOU.

hmmm, sounds like the teachings of western religion.

go figure.

My post makes even more sense now.

Puritan for the freakin win.

Feb 19, 2001
its the economy stupid..

economy = #1

education? well if you look at the educated community i live in, i dont think its a problem.... however the shear stupidity of 95% of most Americans is just gahhhh disturbing.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: DLeRium
its the economy stupid..

economy = #1

education? well if you look at the educated community i live in, i dont think its a problem.... however the shear stupidity of 95% of most Americans is just gahhhh disturbing.

lol

Xonoahbin

Aug 16, 2005

hmmm, sounds like the teachings of western religion.

go figure.

My post makes even more sense now.

Puritan for the freakin win.

It just seems that we're failing to grasp what each other is saying. I don't think you quite get what I'm saying. Besides, Western Religion? I'm Agnostic, buddy. I quite dislike most of the things Western Religion teaches. I quite prefer Eastern Religion if I had to choose, such as Buddhism, Confucism and Hinduism. :)