Top 5 problems in America today.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: jhayx7
Originally posted by: Kaido
Originally posted by: Mwilding
American Idol
Burger King French Fries
Stupid People
The Department of Motor Vehicles
Britney Spear's Stretch Marks

THANK YOU!! Glad to know I am not alone :)

And Hardee's french fries.... McD's fries FTW!

YAY!! Well that makes 3 of us. McDonalds fries ftw :D

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
1. Government is ineffective at managing money.
A) Military Spending
B) Income Tax
C) Social Security

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
I am just curious, what freedoms have you guys lost? You are still here posting away, if I could take away your freedoms you sure as hell wouldn't be here posting stupid stuff like that.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: MathMan
Originally posted by: halik
oooh I know I know

1) Gay Marriage
2) Flag Burning
3) Illegal Immigrants
4) Abortion
5) War on Christman

flamebait++;

It's the GOP talking points actually, but I agree with your assertion.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
1(tied) Education

you mean public education? The one run by bureacrats and shoveled thousands of dollars per student? Because most private schools and eductaion seem to do just fine.

1(tied) the erosion of liberty

Hmmm... haven't noticed this. I must not have been one of the millions of Americans who have had their liberties trampled on by this oppressive government.

Although I'd actually be flattered if I found out GWB was listening in on my calls-- it might mean for once someone thought what I said was important.

2 Terrorism

Yep, yer right. Thousands of innocent people being killed by extremists definitately takes a back seat to me wondering if that phone call I made to Al Zawahari (blessed servant of Muhammed, peace be upon him) in Afghanistan was monitered by the NSA or not. Good call...

3 Religious Fundamentalism

In my opinion this should be ranked higher. Nothing, and I mean nothing, demonstrates whats wrong with America more than seeing people go to church or temple and practice their beliefs.

4 Rising cost of Healthcare

It's like you are reading my mind... we all know as Americans we have a RIGHT to cheap healthcare. And cheap gas. And cheap food. And cheap labor (as long as we are paying illegal immigrants cheaply and not union members). And cushy, high paying jobs (as long as these go to union members and not illegal immigrants).

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Toasthead
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
I would say rather than terroism being the problem, it's the fear of it. And erosion of liberty is tied into religious fundamentalism and the fear of terrorism.

Edit:
#1: Lack of personal responsibility.
#2: Eroding liberties due to various casues
#3: Lack of the importance of family
#4: Lack of the importance of education in key areas
#5: Lack of assuming risk for one's actions.

BINGO!!! we have a winner.

Now THAT is a good list! #5 goes a long way. People seem to think that divorce is OK, but I don't know of a single kid in a divorced family that isn't screwed up in some way because of it. Same with abortions and other seemingly non-consequential actions...people get hurt by these things, and yet they are accepted by society in general as "OK". As far as terrorism goes...what was it, 3,000 people that died in the Twin Towers strike? I did a huge research paper for school a few years ago on car accidents. Did you know that 40,000 people die each year just from car accidents in the U.S. alone? No one seems too concerned about that! And everybody is so sue-crazy now...aye aye aye. People just need to grow up. These problems are nothing new; we just have to deal with them appropriately on an individual level.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
1. children born out of wedlock
2. not enough abortions
3. too many abortions
4. congress
5. red states v. blue states

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: thepd7
I am just curious, what freedoms have you guys lost? You are still here posting away, if I could take away your freedoms you sure as hell wouldn't be here posting stupid stuff like that.

Yeah I'm curious too...people whine and cry about the current president, but I don't see much difference in my day-to-day life when we get a new one. btw, I heard that more people voted for the last American Idol than they did the president??

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
And for the record, terrorism today is religious fundamentalism. We have fewer Christian nuts here than Muslim nuts in the Middle East, but there are some fundamentalists here who would do equally horrible things as the terrorists.

In fact, all of those topics on the list are linked in some way or another. I'd do this

1) Erosion of liberties
2) Education (educate to help preserve said liberties)
3) Religious Fundamentalism (eliminate to help preserve liberties using education)
4) Lack of reason in our legal system (can we do something about frivolous lawsuits already???)
5) Weak borders

I don't find terrorism to be that big of a threat. Our risk level is actually fairly high, but I feel strengthening our borders would be a good step.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Doboji
I say

1(tied) Education
2 Terrorism

education - overrated. we don't need college educated cashiers.
erosion of liberty - name one liberty you've lost since the day you were born
terrorism - no thanks to nyt chance of terrorism gets higher everyday
religious fundamentalism - are you talking about the muslims who want to kill us or the Christians who want to "save" us (pun intended)?
healthcare costs - the only way the government can solve this is charging the AMA with racketeering and monopoly charges

the real problems are Godlessness, immorality, liberalism, anti-patriotism, lack of family values, and increasing size of government (the bad part, i.e. social welfare division and bureaucracy).

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
1(tied) Education

you mean public education? The one run by bureacrats and shoveled thousands of dollars per student? Because most private schools and eductaion seem to do just fine.

Hmmm... haven't noticed this. I must not have been one of the millions of Americans who have had their liberties trampled on by this oppressive government.

Although I'd actually be flattered if I found out GWB was listening in on my calls-- it might mean for once someone thought what I said was important.

2 Terrorism

Yep, yer right. Thousands of innocent people being killed by extremists definitately takes a back seat to me wondering if the librarian if that phone call I made to Al Zawahari (blessed servant of Muhammed, peace be upon him) in Afghanistan was monitered by the NSA or not. Good call...

In my opinion this should be ranked higher. Nothing, and I mean nothing, demonstrates whats wrong with America more than seeing people go to church or temple and practice their beliefs.

It's like you are reading my mind... we all know as Americans we have a RIGHT to cheap healthcare. And cheap gas. And cheap food. And cheap labor (as long as we are paying illegal immigrants cheaply and not union members). And cushy, high paying jobs (as long as these go to union members and not illegal immigrants).

Rather than argue with you... I'll just say this...

I'm not trying to blame anyone for the problems we have, I'm just attempting to point out what I think they are.

1) The public school system is trash upon trash... it's a severe problem since most of the students in our country go there...

1) I feel that the restrictions on how I'm allowed to live my life have really picked up... no smoking, speedlimits, immenent domain etc etc.

2) Terrorism is a major issue not because of the damage done... but because of the damage that may be done. As for the priority... live free or die... nuff said

3) The day you make my child pray to a god he doesnt believe in, is the day I get my gun and go to war. The day you make me live by laws that YOUR religion defines is the day I go to war.

4) I'm not discussing what we have a right to or not... I'm simply pointing out that it's getting harder and harder for americans to get the healthcare they need... that is a problem. Ignoring it doesnt make it go away... I'm not suggesting any solutions, I'm just pointing out the problem.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001

Yeah I'm curious too...people whine and cry about the current president, but I don't see much difference in my day-to-day life when we get a new one. btw, I heard that more people voted for the last American Idol than they did the president??

Why do you assume that when I complain about losing liberty I'm talking about GWB? I'm not. I'm talking about the gradual transformation of this country into a nannystate.

Airsofter

Banned
Jan 9, 2006
1. Sweet 16
2. Sweet 16
3. Sweet 16
4. Sweet 16
5. Sweet 16

The sad thing is, I'm not really even joking. That show basically sums up everything that is wrong with America.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
1(tied) Education

2 Terrorism

Yep, yer right. Thousands of innocent people being killed by extremists definitately takes a back seat to me wondering if the librarian if that phone call I made to Al Zawahari (blessed servant of Muhammed, peace be upon him) in Afghanistan was monitered by the NSA or not. Good call...

I'm not trying to blame anyone for the problems we have, I'm just attempting to point out what I think they are.

1) The public school system is trash upon trash... it's a severe problem since most of the students in our country go there...

1) I feel that the restrictions on how I'm allowed to live my life have really picked up... no smoking, speedlimits, immenent domain etc etc.

2) Terrorism is a major issue not because of the damage done... but because of the damage that may be done. As for the priority... live free or die... nuff said

3) The day you make my child pray to a god he doesnt believe in, is the day I get my gun and go to war. The day you make me live by laws that YOUR religion defines is the day I go to war.

4) I'm not discussing what we have a right to or not... I'm simply pointing out that it's getting harder and harder for americans to get the healthcare they need... that is a problem. Ignoring it doesnt make it go away... I'm not suggesting any solutions, I'm just pointing out the problem.

Very nice post mathman, and to doboji:
public schools are not going to get fixed until we pay teachers more, and even then there are always kids that don't care. You can't teach people that don't want to learn. That being said, the way colleges work now even if you have the crappiest school, if you apply yourself and graduate #1 you can get into many great schools with financial aid. This is assuming you aren't white, of course. A black/mexican/native american kid with a high GPA is like a gold nugget to an ivy league school.
I am not saying that public schools aren't bad, just that you can win even in a bad system.

As to the restrictions, you can still smoke, you just can't fill my lungs and the lungs of my kids with it wherever the hell you want. Speed limits are for safety, imminent domain I agree with you on, its getting rediculous.

terrorism- not relaly much to say, it is a problem

OK this really bothers me: people who think that the republicans are trying to force people to be Christians. Anyone who thinks that Christians are trying to FORCE their kid to pray in school are crazier than the fundamentalist Christians.

Healthcare: sucks for poor people, always has always will. Its America, money wins always.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Why do you assume that when I complain about losing liberty I'm talking about GWB? I'm not. I'm talking about the gradual transformation of this country into a nannystate.

Nannystate? :confused:

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Airsofter
1. Sweet 16
2. Sweet 16
3. Sweet 16
4. Sweet 16
5. Sweet 16

The sad thing is, I'm not really even joking. That show basically sums up everything that is wrong with America.

I think MTV of late sums up everything wrong in this country

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
the biggest problem in the US and possibly the world is lack of responsibility.

"Its not my fault, its ___ fault."

Mcdonald's made me fat, tv turned my kids into zombies, GTA3 made me kill people, etc

computeerrgghh

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
I would say rather than terroism being the problem, it's the fear of it. And erosion of liberty is tied into religious fundamentalism and the fear of terrorism.

Edit:
#1: Lack of personal responsibility.
#2: Eroding liberties due to various casues
#3: Lack of the importance of family
#4: Lack of the importance of education in key areas
#5: Lack of assuming risk for one's actions.

Nice list. I also think that Sense of entitlement should go with #1. Many people think that by being lazy asses, they will be rewarded and rich. Too many people I have known feel like they are entitled to the lion's share of the countries wealth without having to work for it.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005

Ok, so you did mean public education-- not education in general.

I am quite the liberarian, but even I can see the use of laws establishing safe speeds on public roadways and limiting the consumption of known carcinogenics in the presence of others who have no choice in the matter. I'm a firm believer in your liberties are yours to the extent they don't infringe on others-- but that is an old concept which has its roots in our nations founding, so I don't see how you can see this as the "erosion" of liberties.

Like I said, I can definately see why 3,000 innocent people being killed for no reason at all takes a back seat to the government telling me I can't smoke on an airplane or drive 100 miles per hour going in the wrong direction on the freeway.

Hmmm... is this that common of a problem? I mean, how often have you had people force your children to pray to a god they don't believe in? I mean, I grew up around a lot of religious people, but I can't ever recall anyone ever forcing me to pray.

And isn't this talk about grabbing a gun and going to war just another example of the religious fundamentalism which you claim to detest? In this case, your religioun is atheism or agnosticism... but that makes you no better than the Muslim extremists who murder people for not believing in Allah.

So you mean I can't just walk into any ER and get any neccessary health care I need, even without insurance? Funny, illegal immigrants do it all of the time... and some states have even set aside budgets to advertise this fact.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
1(tied) Education

2 Terrorism

Very nice post mathman, and to doboji:
public schools are not going to get fixed until we pay teachers more, and even then there are always kids that don't care. You can't teach people that don't want to learn. That being said, the way colleges work now even if you have the crappiest school, if you apply yourself and graduate #1 you can get into many great schools with financial aid. This is assuming you aren't white, of course. A black/mexican/native american kid with a high GPA is like a gold nugget to an ivy league school.
I am not saying that public schools aren't bad, just that you can win even in a bad system.

As to the restrictions, you can still smoke, you just can't fill my lungs and the lungs of my kids with it wherever the hell you want. Speed limits are for safety, imminent domain I agree with you on, its getting rediculous.

terrorism- not relaly much to say, it is a problem

OK this really bothers me: people who think that the republicans are trying to force people to be Christians. Anyone who thinks that Christians are trying to FORCE their kid to pray in school are crazier than the fundamentalist Christians.

Healthcare: sucks for poor people, always has always will. Its America, money wins always.

Actually, if you increase wages for teachers, it'll attract more idiots. It's one of those professions that you can't really do much to better because it's such a stupid job. Economically, teachers don't create wealth so they can't demand higher wages. And if you force higher wages, it will attract more idiots.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Tree hugging, PETA lovin' Hippies, to many of 'em.

OK, now for a serious reply, I 100% feel that the biggest number one issue in America is the MEDIA/NEWS they are so whacked out of their minds not matter what politically view point you have that it's not even funny, every day is doomsday according to them and the wide spread negativity is really the biggest issue.

I can't even stand to watch the news because of how exaggerated, out of context and over the top everything is.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I'm sorry I don't really find terrorism to be a huge problem in America, just a distraction. How many of you are affected by terrorism? 0.000001 - 0.0%. How many of you are affected by huge government spending, high health cost, terrible public schools, religious fundamentalism, poverty, gas prices, etc?