Top 3 US employers..Walmart, YUM Brands, McDonalds...5 of top 10 are low ends sales..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I like money

Yeah I like money too

Woah you like money too? We should like totally hang out.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
To the OP: How many of the low wage jobs in question are part time and temporary? Temporary in that they are stepping stones that people will move on from because they are in school, etc. Does it makes sense to pay top dollar to a employee who is going to be gone in a year or two?

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Considering there is not a toyota dealership for almost 75 miles, and there is a ford dealership here in town.

What does a dealership have to do with it? They are fleet. They are dealing directly with Ford.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
The IBM rating may be higher than some think. They have been exporting jobs for a while now and stopped giving head counts as well.

Just had some layoffs and now doing furloghs with more layoffs coming so they don't have to pay 401k. ...

That's what I keep hearing as well, that IBM plans to dramatically cut its U.S. workforce over the next decade, to well below half of its current level.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Does it makes sense to pay top dollar to a employee who is going to be gone in a year or two?

Where are workers in rural america supposed to go?

What does a dealership have to do with it? They are fleet. They are dealing directly with Ford.

What does the dealership have to do with it? Ever hear of this thing called service and recalls?

Does it make sense to drive close to 70, 75 miles one way to get a vehicle serviced under warranty?

That's what I keep hearing as well, that IBM plans to dramatically cut its U.S. workforce over the next decade, to well below half of its current level.

Wasn't IBM in the news recently for courting low wage foreign workers on work visas while qualified US citizens were available?

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
^

That and IBM is also known to lay someone off and then offer them a job back but at lower pay. After a week or so of lower duties they are returned to what they were doing before.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
^

That and IBM is also known to lay someone off and then offer them a job back but at lower pay. After a week or so of lower duties they are returned to what they were doing before.

Yikes. THAT is when you know the economy is horrendous. People in a good economy would never tolerate that kind of BS. They would get fired from IBM then go to some other company instead of begging for their job back. The really scary part is that the government claims the recession ended 3-4 years ago. This is the good economy? Having to beg for your job? I would hate to see what a bad economy looks like. Sucking a dick just to get an interview might be the next big trend.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Yikes. THAT is when you know the economy is horrendous. People in a good economy would never tolerate that kind of BS. They would get fired from IBM then go to some other company instead of begging for their job back. The really scary part is that the government claims the recession ended 3-4 years ago. This is the good economy? Having to beg for your job? I would hate to see what a bad economy looks like. Sucking a dick just to get an interview might be the next big trend.

They get away with it as they do it usually in the middle of the school year. So spouce has local job and kids in school. Best to take what I can get right away and look later type thing.

My inside IBM person thinks they will be let go in late October since the yearly 401k lump match kicks in during the month of November.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
First of all, walmart doesnt employ anyone. It simply transfers other jobs to itself, aside from the jobs it eliminates completely. Walmart destroys 3 jobs for every two it creates.

Secondly, these the total wages paid by these 10 employers is peanuts compared to the money created out of thin air by the Federal Reserve each year. Walmart alone spends what? 6 billion a year on labor? lol the Fed prints 80 billion a month! Labor is nothing in this economy. The Fed is feverishly printing enough money to employ 20 million people @ $50k a year! And all that money goes to the top 1% which they then invest in the ways and means to eliminate even more jobs! And all the while they fudge all the statistics to make it look as if the economy is growing when its really collapsing like a WTC tower. And you have all these dumbed down idiots who are literally blind to not be able to see what's going on here. Jesus I wouldnt hire any of these stupid dumbed down morons. Who would, how can anyone be a functional employee when they cant even see what's going on? Or are too stupid too care?

Last edited:

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Jesus I wouldnt hire any of these stupid dumbed down morons. Who would, how can anyone be a functional employee when they cant even see what's going on? Or are too stupid too care?

I'll ask you the same thing I ask every other libertarian: how does what you're saying affect me? Yes inflation exists. I know my cash is worthless and that's why I don't hold cash. Nobody holds cash. Some people buy a house, some buy stocks, bonds, spend it, convert it to gold. Where are these people who hold cash reserves?

Our fake money is the same concept as bit coins. Bit coins are literally nothing; you don't even have a piece of paper saying that you have something. These bit coins are not held for the sake of holding bit coins, but for the sake of buying and selling things without leaving a paper trail. Mainly drugs.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The IRS is hiring like crazy. They have to hire all the employees for the Insurance exchanges. If your state does not have a state run insurance exchang the Feds have to set up some regional federal exchanges.

The Feds tried to push a lot of the costs for O'Bammacare onto the states to reduce federal costs. Either way you are paying for it.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Things are going to get pretty awesome in a couple decades when Walmart/mcdonalds jobs start being done by robots and machines.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
What does the dealership have to do with it? Ever hear of this thing called service and recalls?

Does it make sense to drive close to 70, 75 miles one way to get a vehicle serviced under warranty?

You obviously have no idea how fleets work. Hint: they don't take them to a dealership for service like you do for your family car.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I still find it mind boggling that you people expect top dollar for no-skill/low-skill jobs.

If there are 100,000 people in a geographic area who are willing and qualified to do a job, it's not going to be a very high paying job. That's simple economics.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I still find it mind boggling that you people expect top dollar for no-skill/low-skill jobs.

If there are 100,000 people in a geographic area who are willing and qualified to do a job, it's not going to be a very high paying job. That's simple economics.

When a company like wal-mart turns a massive profit every year, why shouldn't the company pay its employees well?

You have a choice, either demand higher wages, or pay higher taxes to support those on welfare.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
When a company like wal-mart turns a massive profit every year, why shouldn't the company pay its employees well?

You have a choice, either demand higher wages, or pay higher taxes to support those on welfare.

Profit has nothing to do with how much any one job is worth.

Profit is the goal of a company...of course they're going to make profit. If they don't make profit, they'll not be a company for long.

Jobs are paid based on what the employer is willing to pay the employee and what the employee is willing to work for. Profits do not enter into that equation.

Your second comment shows your ignorance of the world (or your stupidity...probably both.) The choice should be "1) Work for what someone's willing to pay you, or 2) Don't work and feel shame for having to turn to public assistance/charity." That we've gone from this line of thinking to your way of thinking is a sure-fire sign that our republic is failing.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
The choice should be "1) Work for what someone's willing to pay you, or 2) Don't work and feel shame for having to turn to public assistance/charity." That we've gone from this line of thinking to your way of thinking is a sure-fire sign that our republic is failing.

Absolutely this.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Your second comment shows your ignorance of the world (or your stupidity...probably both.) The choice should be "1) Work for what someone's willing to pay you, or 2) Don't work and feel shame for having to turn to public assistance/charity." That we've gone from this line of thinking to your way of thinking is a sure-fire sign that our republic is failing.

There is no need for insults here.

The skilled jobs that supported the middle class are mostly gone. While companies reap record profits from free trade, the middle class suffers.

With few jobs to support the middle class, more people are turning to welfare.

Why should walmart provide health insurance when the employee can sign up on welfare?

Who pays for that welfare?

2) Don't work and feel shame for having to turn to public assistance/charity."

A lot has changed since the 1970s and 1980s. Welfare is a way of life, it is nothing to be ashamed of by todays standards.

All that I ask is companies pay a liveable wage so the middle class does not have to pay so much in taxes to support corporate welfare.

~ EDIT ~

I would like to address this comment directly,

Your second comment shows your ignorance of the world (or your stupidity...probably both.)

I used to be a certified welder with 15 years experience building ASME certified pressure vessels and heat exchangers.

Even though I am a skilled craftsman, the vast number of companies pay barely over poverty level wages.

I finally left the welding field due to barely above poverty wages and lack of 21st century benefits.

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
No it is not, yes it is.

Can I be anymore clear? :|

To you and to me welfare is not a way of life. If something happened to my job right now, I would go back into welding before I drew welfare.

To millions of people out there, welfare is a way of life. Welfare is all they know, it is all the care to know, it is all they will ever know.

I honestly feel that corporate greed has helped cultivate the welfare culture.