Top 25 stolen motorcycles of 2001..........

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
CHICAGO--(AutomotiveWire)--Aug. 5, 2002--
Last year, nearly 10 motorcycle thefts a day were reported to CCC Information Services Inc.
(NASDAQ:CCCG - News), and the 2001 Yamaha YZFR6 proved the favorite target. Twenty-four of the top 25 motorcycles stolen last year were made by Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki, and the only other model
to crack the top 25 was the 1999 Harley-Davidson FLSTF, ranking No. 22.

The list:

Most Stolen Motorcycles of 2001
(Source: CCC Information Services Inc.)

1. 2001 YAMAHA YZFR6
2. 2000 YAMAHA YZFR1
3. 2001 HONDA CBR600
4. 2000 YAMAHA YZFR6
5. 2001 YAMAHA YZFR1
6. 2001 HONDA CBR900
7. 2000 HONDA CBR900
8. 2001 SUZUKI GSXR600
9. 2001 SUZUKI GSXR750
10. 2000 HONDA CBR600F4
11. 2000 KAWASAKI ZX600
12. 2000 SUZUKI GSXR600
13. 2001 SUZUKI GSXR1000
14. 1999 YAMAHA YZFR1
15. 1999 YAMAHA YZFR6
16. 2000 SUZUKI GSXR750
17. 1999 HONDA CBR600
18. 1998 HONDA CBR600F
19. 1999 HONDA CBR900RR
20. 1996 HONDA CBR600
21. 2000 SUZUKI GSX1300
22. 1999 HARLEY-DAVIDSON FLSTF
23. 1999 KAWASAKI ZX900
24. 2000 KAWASAKI ZX900
25. 1999 SUZUKI GSXR750

Hehehe.......seems the thieves know something maybe with H-D being poorly represented here. Second most popular selling brand in the U.S. and just barely cracked the top 25 models stolen. Wonder why?

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Maybe it's because thieves know if they steal an HD that they will have a gang of 300lb beer bellied guys in leather and studs chasing after them! :)

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Doggiedog
Maybe it's because thieves know if they steal an HD that they will have a gang of 300lb beer bellied guys in leather and studs chasing after them! :)

Most likely it's because the bikes are being stolen for parts, thus the most popular bikes are the most stolen. Look at the same stats for cars, just because a car is the most stolen doesn't mean it's the most desirable.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Harley's are heavier and the riders know more about protectecting their toys than the average street squid.

All it takes to steal a sportbike is 2 guys to heave it in the back of a truck. Your not going to do it that quick and easy with an Ultra Classic.

Buy an ignition switch with a key for any sportbike. That ignition will plug into the harness for any bike in that series. 15 seconds and you are riding away because the squid doesn't have 4 padlocks and a cable on his scoot like earl does on his fatB0y.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: jemcam
Originally posted by: Doggiedog

Most likely it's because the bikes are being stolen for parts, thus the most popular bikes are the most stolen. Look at the same stats for cars, just because a car is the most stolen doesn't mean it's the most desirable.

you're saying the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry are the most stolen cars and arent the most desireable cars? (honda took the #1 selling car title, (414,718) from toyota, coming in close second (390,449)

Oct 9, 1999
notice.. all of them are "Squid" bikes.

Its the same deal why these get stolen so much.. for parts. The same reason why honda accords and toyota camry's get stolen.. there are more of them on teh road.

Granted most honda and toyota owners dont damage their vehicel within 2 weeks the point is that most squids do. So they got to get parts (they are quite expensive) hence pinch those squidly bikes.

Notice my bike isnt on the list.. yay! .. hence i pay a lower insurance compared to ppl riding those bikes.

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: C'DaleRider
CHICAGO--(AutomotiveWire)--Aug. 5, 2002--
Last year, nearly 10 motorcycle thefts a day were reported to CCC Information Services Inc.
(NASDAQ:CCCG - News), and the 2001 Yamaha YZFR6 proved the favorite target. Twenty-four of the top 25 motorcycles stolen last year were made by Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki, and the only other model
to crack the top 25 was the 1999 Harley-Davidson FLSTF, ranking No. 22.

The list:

Most Stolen Motorcycles of 2001
(Source: CCC Information Services Inc.)

<CLIP>

Hehehe.......seems the thieves know something maybe with H-D being poorly represented here. Second most popular selling brand in the U.S. and just barely cracked the top 25 models stolen. Wonder why?

The term rolling bucket of s**t comes to mind when thinking about harley crapidson.

Johnlee

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'd love to catch one of those fsckers some day.

Between my best friend and I we've had 4 bikes stolen:

Suzuki Katana 600
Suzuki GSXR 1100
Ducati 851
Aprilia RSV Mille 1000

The thiefs will steal anything not bolted down. I once read a great quote:

Fiction: If a thief wants a bike bad enough, he will get it, no matter how much protection the owner provides

Fact: The thief will only get the bike if he wants it more than it's owner does.

I have my Ducati locked in my garage with two krypto cables connected to 2x4s and a krypto disc lock. And I still pray it stays safe.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
my dad rebuilds bikes for a hobby.. already had 2 jacked.. after spending HOURS and money on them

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Johnlee

Suzuki Katana 600
Suzuki GSXR 1100
Ducati 851
Aprilia RSV Mille 1000

Fiction: If a thief wants a bike bad enough, he will get it, no matter how much protection the owner provides

Fact: The thief will only get the bike if he wants it more than it's owner does.

I have my Ducati locked in my garage with two krypto cables connected to 2x4s and a krypto disc lock. And I still pray it stays safe.

You've had an RSV Mille stolen!???

Frosty3799

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Johnlee

Suzuki Katana 600
Suzuki GSXR 1100
Ducati 851
Aprilia RSV Mille 1000

wow, insuranc ehas to be killing you, after getting those stolen.... dude why dont you buy a car?

Johnlee

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
LOL, I have TWO cars! Anyone wanna buy a Honda Civic...before it get's stolen?:(

The Mille was my best friend's bike, the two suzukis were mine...that's when i decided my next bike would be not Japanese.:(

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
Heh.. My '98 R1 didn't even make the list. I'm still going to use my disc lock, lock the bike to something and set the alarm every time I park it. I don't leave the bike that often though. I use it more for joy rides instead of transportation. The '98's probably didn't crack the list because they are all probably wrecked by now. ;)

The main reason why people steal these bikes is because there are so many yahoo's that wreck them. The plastic parts alone make them worth stealing.

These sport bikes are so light too and I often worry about a bunch of guys coming along, picking the bike up and putting it in the back of a pickup. That's why I lock it to something whenever I park it. I doubt it would be that easy with a Harley.

Harley's probably didn't make the list because people don't wreck them as readily. A lot of them don't get ridden and when they do, the owner probably doesn't leave it parked anywhere for too long.

Sucks doesn't it? I hate having to worry about some Ahole stealing my bike.

Johnlee

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't leave the bike that often though

Ditto. And when I do, I'm packing all the lock gear (whatta pain) but I don't trust it without it being locked to something unless I'm just running a quick errand.

tigerbait

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
Harley's are heavier and the riders know more about protectecting their toys than the average street squid.

All it takes to steal a sportbike is 2 guys to heave it in the back of a truck. Your not going to do it that quick and easy with an Ultra Classic.

I've always wondered about that. I don't know much about motorcycles, but it seems so easy to just pick up the bike and throw it into the bed of a truck. How do you stop that from happening?

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
I've always wondered about that. I don't know much about motorcycles, but it seems so easy to just pick up the bike and throw it into the bed of a truck. How do you stop that from happening?
It's very common. A group of guys go out with a van or pickup and just lift the bike up and throw it in the truck. That's their way around such things like disc locks and brake locks.

The way to combat that is to lock your bike to an immovable object like a sign, parking meter, etc.. Some people screw I bolts into their garage floor and chain it to the floor so nobody can break into the garage and walk off with the bike.

Sal

schmedy

Golden Member
Dec 31, 1999
My friend got his FZR stolen when I was in the Marine Corps, recovered later though. How they got it you ask....hammer a screwdriver in the ignition and vice-grips to turn it, ultra high tech huh.

chickendinner

Banned
Jan 31, 2002
My dog gets a little angry when people walk by the house at night. He also sleeps right next to the side door to the garage. I dont fret over it cause i know that the person going in the morgue the morning after.