Tools buffs: Crescent brand any good?

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
I just got a Christmas present of a Crescent brand socket and screwdriver set. Is this brand any good as far as quality construction and durability go? How long can I expect them to last before they poop out, break or rust away on me?

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
I just got a Christmas present of a Crescent brand socket and screwdriver set. Is this brand any good as far as quality construction and durability go? How long can I expect them to last before they poop out, break or rust away on me?
I have a set of CRescent nutdrivers that are chugging away.... 20 years old....look like new....

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
here's a tip, generally when the name brand is used as a common name than it's pretty decent. skil saw, crescent wrench etc.

oh ya, vise grips are another one.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
here's a tip, generally when the name brand is used as a common name than it's pretty decent. skil saw, crescent wrench etc.

Band Aids... Kool Aid... Q-tips... ;)

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Wingznut

ok, there are a ton of them

but it's not a bad rule to go by. tho skil is no longer what it used to be.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Wingznut

Kleenex... Vaseline... :eek:

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
They're fine. I would use them with confidence. As stated above ,they are a brand name and have a reputation to uphold. It's unlikely they will break in your hands, as some of the no name stuff you can find all over will.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
I have a set of CRescent nutdrivers that are chugging away.... 20 years old....look like new....

When you never use your tools, of course they will continue to look like new :p