Took some time off from exercise ... now I am back

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by IHateMyJob2004, Nov 6, 2012.

1. IHateMyJob2004

Having had 3 injuries over the past 3 months or so, I pretty much stopped running and reduced my weight lifting schedule.

It started with a groin injury. That was almost healed when I hurt my shoulder doing roller hockey. And I did a 5K, and now my foot hurts on and off again.

But I am finally recovered. Shoulder feels good and groin is at 95%. I am now running again, but it seems as though I am going to have to do some work to get back to where I was 3 months ago.

As for weights, this is where I am concerned. I lifted tonight and my bench was horrible. The last time I lifted was about 4 weeks ago. I was working on doing 195x5x5 pre injury. 190x5x5 was doable at that point. Tonight I decided to start lower and I could barely do 185 pounds. I did 5 sets. And reps were something like 2,3,2,3,2. I don't even think I would have been able to do 180x5x5. TO make it worse, after my workout sets I wanted to do 135 to failure. Failure was 5 reps.

I think in a week, I'll get 185x5x5. But is there some reason for this? I have noticed that some of my muscle mass has disappeared but to have this much extra weakness a month without lifting is shocking.

2. melchoir

melchoir Senior member

Use it or lose it. (temporarily at least)

The difference between a 185 and 190 bench isn't muscle, it's just CNS acclimation.

3. IHateMyJob2004

I was figuring it was CNS but I don't know much about how that works.

4. Saint Nick

Saint Nick Lifer

It's all good. "Muscle memory".