• Too hot

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Too cold

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Would you rather be stuck in 100 degree weather with some humidity say? Or zero degree weather with additional wind chill bringing it down to say 20 below?

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Cold every time. In fact, I'd take "too cold" over "moderately hot" every time. Once it gets over 70F, I'm unhappy.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
You can always put on more layers to combat the cold. You can only take off so much to deal with the heat..

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Too hot. 100* doesn't bother me at all, that's perfect golf weather.

I was near Palm Springs for a Coachella concert once. We camped out one night. We woke up shortly after sunrise just from the heat making it impossible to sleep. So we spent a good part of the morning at a local large grocery store to stay cool. Which happened to have a display of outdoor furniture for sale. So we chilled in there on the furniture with the AC for a few hours to stay cool. I randomly walked up to a woman shopping for produce and asked her if she'd mind telling me why they chose to live in such intense heat. Her answer was one word, 'golf'.

I've been in Cypriot summer weather where it's at least 110 in the shade, no humidity. Never bothered me much but I wouldn't want to be out in the sun for too many hours during the hottest hours. But it's bearable though. Even more so by the beach. Then it's all good.

I was in the Western Sahara desert in Morocco one summer in July. I didn't mind the heat there either, probably cause I was so psyched to be in the motherfuckin Sahara! Woot!

All that being said, I'd rather be super hot than super cold. When it gets below 15 degrees around here sometimes in the winter, I can't stand it at all. Did Chicago in mid-winter once for work. I bought a super warm parka for that trip, and I still couldn't stay warm.

When it can get over 90 degrees here in NYC in the summer, with humidity, I'll still throw on some shorts and a T and go ride my bike 15 miles pushing it hard. If it's freezing out, there is no way I would spend time outside any more than I had to. But then again I don't ski.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
exactly this

I don't want to take 5+ minutes every time I head out in the cold to look like an alien vs just wearing shorts and a t-shirt in the heat instead. I can have my under armour baselayers on, wool socks, heavy boots, soft-shell Outdoor Research pants, a merino wool long sleeve shirt, heavy duty sweatshirt, heavy duty parka on, crazy thick gloves, full on cold weather balaclava and a super thick beanie on and still be cold. Not uncomfortably, but what a hassle. And you are still kinda chilly.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Where the hell is the poll option for "None of the above?"
abe.png

Zero degrees F(reedom) is way too cold...100 degrees F(reedom) is WAY too hot.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
exactly this

Exactly wrong. If you have a tolerance for heat you don't need to take off more. You don't see Arabs lying around in speedos because they're too hot to move wearing sheets head to toe. Some people like cold and wilt in the heat, others shiver when it's 50* and love 100*.

The hottest places on Earth are inhabitable by humans, the coldest places are not. Plenty of people living in areas around the equator outdoors pretty much 24/7, little shelter, no A/C. How many people can survive for extended periods outdoors at the South Pole? None. They can only venture outside for short periods and then must retreat to their heated huts.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'll take the cold, it's easier to produce heat than it is to remove heat and easier to dress for the cold than the hot. Anything past like 25C is super uncomfortable, it's not so much the heat itself it's the constant sweating and ickyness that really makes it brutal.

That said if I had to be stuck in the wilderness with near no supplies I'd probably rather be in the heat as it's probably better from a survival point of view just very excruciating. In the cold you can always build an impromptu igloo to protect from the cold though, but food may be an issue compared to places where it's really hot. All depends on specifics though. Ex: desert vs rainforest.

But assuming a normal civilized life with proper shelter, food, supplies, energy, etc I'll take the cold hands down vs the hot.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
The hottest places on Earth are inhabitable by humans, the coldest places are not.

To be fair, if you are going to use the South Pole as the example of a cold place to live, then you need to use the actual hottest surface location(s) as well. For example, the Lut Desert in Libya has been recorded above 150 F multiple times. It would be just as hard to survive there without assistance as it is at the South Pole..

Reactions: Crono

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Damn, 150F is 65C, that's insane, yeah I can't imagine that being easy to survive in without any cooled shelter/support. To put it in perspective the plenum temp of my furnace when it's been running for a long time hits around 60C. It's normally more like 55 but I've seen the odd time where it hits close to 60.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Exactly wrong. If you have a tolerance for heat you don't need to take off more. You don't see Arabs lying around in speedos because they're too hot to move wearing sheets head to toe. Some people like cold and wilt in the heat, others shiver when it's 50* and love 100*.

The hottest places on Earth are inhabitable by humans, the coldest places are not. Plenty of people living in areas around the equator outdoors pretty much 24/7, little shelter, no A/C. How many people can survive for extended periods outdoors at the South Pole? None. They can only venture outside for short periods and then must retreat to their heated huts.

Cool, I guess the answer to the subjective question of what I prefer is wrong

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
You can survive in 100 degree weather for awhile.

You cannot on 0 degree weather without shelter or heavy clothing.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I don't mind the heat or the humidity. The cold bothers me though.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I've worked outside most of my career. Would definitely take bitter cold vs extreme heat. And humidity, F that crap. In Houston in July/August I could barely stand to be outside more than a few minutes before retreating to A/C. Shade was no relief. They actually had rules about only being outside for a varying minutes, depending on temp.

In Indiana when it was 20 below it was a pain, but not uncomfortable if you dressed for it. Could be outside for hours during winter without a care. Didn't even need to shower cause you don't sweat at all. And there's 0 bugs/snakes etc.

Reactions: lxskllr

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Cold for sure. I have worked in the Simpson desert in austraila and wyoming and North Dakota. I have been working outside in 135 f and -60 f. The sand would reach 160 to 170, I had one of my crew members boots fall apart around his feet as the glue holding them together melted. The 3 of us would drink 60 L of water during a 12 hr shift and we used electrolyte powder made for iron man athletes (scratch labs) I have also had the water on my eyeballs freeze. I prefer the cold.

Edit: I here you on the bugs. Simpson has a lot of bugs and snakes that will fuck you up. We had to have a snake handler on our job sites, and fuck the spiders.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Way more people will take too cold vs too hot.

Interesting.

I look at it this way. If it's 100 degrees and some humidity I'll grab my bike and take it to the city for a ride and sweat it out drinking plenty of water. If it's 0 degrees and freezing I'll bundle up and just get from destination A to destination B and that's it. Maybe that's from having olive oil blood, aka I'm Greek Cypriot with my roots in the Mediterranean.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would much rather bike in 0 degrees, and warm up from physical activity, than to ride my bike in extreme heat where I'm sweating and blinding myself from my own sweat constantly getting in my eyes and face and feeling all sticky, before I even get on the bike.

Though 0F is -18C, so that is on the verge of uncomfortably cold, but if hands are covered (that's the part I find that gets cold the fastest) and you are on a bike it would not take long to warm up. Maybe cover face too from wind if it's windy. -18C with no wind is super nice though, it's the wind that can make it a bit unpleasant.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
depends on the humidity level and whether I can have AC for sleeping and working.
Generally I prefer hot to cold but I've never had to endure extremes, just 35°C humid and -10°C at most.

Lut desert is in Iran not libya btw. Also wiki says that only the rocks were at 70°C, the air was at lower temperatures. Rocks can reach scalding temperatures in Europe too in the summer.

that's because loose clothes provide insulation.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
To me, cold is better because you can bundle up/moving/getting physical to warm up but if it is too hot, even you are naked, it is still too hot. Don't let me start with hot weather and high humidity.

<<------------- is living in the deep South. Not fun during July/August.

r4sh1d

Feb 21, 2012
Cold/too cold any day of the week, I HATE the hot weather.

When I grocery shop and they have the heat turned up, after shopping I feel this discomfort from all the heat. I don't think about it, but the slight discomfort is there you know?

Once I leave the place and the cold weather hit me, I feel good again!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Too hot 10 out of 10 times. The cold fucking sucks ass and this morning when I left for work it made me wonder why the fuck I still live where it is cold for like 5 months of the year.