"Too cold to walk" for car thieves

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
http://today.reuters.com/news/...KOC_0_US-THIEVES-1.xml

TORONTO (Reuters) - A group of teenage car thieves took a joy ride to a court-ordered counseling program aimed to keep them away from stealing cars, Winnipeg police said on Tuesday.

The four suspects, aged 16 and 17, were attending the counseling program in the Canadian prairie city as part of a court order relating to previous auto thefts, said Detective Sergeant Kevin Kavitch of the city's stolen-autos unit.

A local newspaper suggested the teens had stolen the car because it was "too cold to walk" to their court ordered training program, although Kavitch described it as a crime of opportunity. Winnipeg daytime temperatures dipped to -40 degrees Celsius (-40 Fahrenheit) last week, with wind chill.

Kavitch said three of the four suspects are level four offenders, the highest designation for chronic auto thieves in the city.

More than a dozen cars are stolen every day in Winnipeg, and the city has introduced a program where high-risk offenders are called as often as every three hours to ensure they are not out stealing cars.

"This is the perfect example of where you get a lot of resources going to certain people," said Kavitch. "And some people still make dumb decisions."

"Gee, we had to steal the car...it was too cold to walk." That'll be just as effective as "I had to drive occifer...I'm to drunk to walk."

I was surprised however by the location. I didn't realize Toronto had car thieves. ;)
Yeah, I know, they came across from the American side...:roll:

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
So take the bus.:roll:

The West should take a page out of Singapore's book and cane people for things like this.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: jagec

The West should take a page out of Singapore's book and cane people for things like this.

Singapore doesn't have and ACLU branch... Lucky bastards.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: I Saw OJ
You have to admit, thats pretty damn cold.
Canada is full of wimps.
In Minnesota, my mom made me walk to school in -44 degree weather. They dont close until -50. Luckily Kindergarden only runs a half day.
Actually, my mom was born in Canada, so maybe they just have to come here to get tough.

I took a job in Oregon and these people make me laugh. We just got snow Sunday morning.
When a quarter-inch got on the ground everbody cried.
When we hit one-half inch people started to FREAK THE FUCK OUT!
At one inch everyone headed to church to pray.

And almost nobody handled the snow well at all. People were going either way too fast or way too slow.
Some of them acted like it was the same old thing. I saw someone try to go up the mountains leading to Florence (on the coast) with their fucking minivan. I couldnt even get them out with my V6 Chevy S10, I had to wait until better help arrived with a customized Wrangler (he was decked out quite nicely by the way, Dana 60 in the rear, 44 in the front, 48-inch Rockcrawlers, 5 ton winch, very sweet, but I digress).
It took us an hour to get them back on the road, he followed behind them and I continued forward.

Way too many folks running around with compacts, minivans and sports cars all sitting about 2 inches off the ground, and just about every single one of those people were not using headlights, turn signals, and had one hand on their precious fucking cell phone.

It always amazes me how snow can turn everybody into a complete idiot, and to such opposite extremes too. Either they got too aggressive or too passive in their dealing with the weather and the results usually ended up being the same: accidents.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Toronto has an American Civil Liberties Union?

I wouldn't try to make a generalization about a whole generation based on the behavior of four individuals.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Siddhartha

I wouldn't try to make a generalization about a whole generation based on the behavior of four individuals.

Yeah, I think the USA is the only place lucky enough to have an organization whose only purpose is to defend the Bill of Rights...:p

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD

Yeah, I think the USA is the only place lucky enough to have an organization whose only purpose is to defend the Bill of Rights...:p

Probably because it's the American Bill of Rights?

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: sdifox

LOL

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
TO is a big city with big city problems.

Not that that has anything at all to do with Winnipeg or the story in the OP, but whatever.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Gee, ya think? :roll:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Gee, ya think? :roll:

We do it better, taxpayer pay for it, it's called The Human Rights Commission. You got any beef with anyone, you can file a complaint, at no cost to you, citing racism or whatever-ism you want. The other party has to pay out of their own pocket and defend themselves.

PS. I am being really sarcastic, I understand the concept behind it, but now it is just a tool for the savy.

http://www.cbc.ca/national/blo..._rights_gone_awry.html

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
-40 degrees? Yes I'd steal a car If I saw you walking down the street with a bigger jacket than me, I'd mug you too.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: SiddharthaI wouldn't try to make a generalization about a whole generation based on the behavior of four individuals.

This. Come on, is the OP seriously expecting us to believe there are no asshole baby boomers either?

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
"Took a joy ride"? Did they really whoop it up on their way to court-ordered counseling or essentially just use it to commute? That is the query.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: meltdown75
see what happens when you take an NHL team from a Canadian city?

They steal a car to get back?
dude, it was a joke. Are you even sure which Canadian city this happened in yet? judging from the OP, you aren't. i'll summarize the point of this thread for you ;)

CANADA LOL

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
see what happens when you take an NHL team from a Canadian city?

They steal a car to get back?

dude, it was a joke. Are you even sure which Canadian city this happened in yet? judging from the OP, you aren't. i'll summarize the point of this thread for you ;)

CANADA LOL

Dude, I KNEW it was a joke...and I was playing on it...
some folks have no sense of humor...or humour...:D