Tony Rezko indicted on 18 of 24 charges

mzkhadir

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2003
Tony Rezko indicted on 18 of 24 charges

msnbc

Moving to P&N from OT

...don't see an origianl P&N post on it.

vi edit
Off Topic Moderator

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
$20 says he rolls over and provides evidence that will lead to our POS governor getting indicted.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
Originally posted by: K1052
$20 says he rolls over and provides evidence that will lead to our POS governor getting indicted.

I'll take that bet. We're not that lucky.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: ElMonoDelMar

Agreed. Keeps quiet, gets pardoned later by Obama....

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones

Obama won't pardon him either. He was a non-issue in Rezko's trial. If there was something behind the Obama link, someone would have brought it up.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Obama won't pardon him either. He was a non-issue in Rezko's trial. If there was something behind the Obama link, someone would have brought it up.

ORLY?

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/02/01/rezko/

Feb. 1, 2008 | CHICAGO -- During his rise through Illinois politics, it was inevitable that Barack Obama would encounter a suckerfish like Tony Rezko. Illinois has more governmental bodies than any other state -- over 500 in Cook County alone -- and therefore, more opportunities for operators.

Usually, their antics fill the front pages of only the Chicago Tribune and the Sun-Times. But thanks to an accusation by Hillary Clinton, who called him a "slum landlord," Tony Rezko's alleged crookedness is national news. The Syrian-American businessman is facing federal charges for a scheme to extort money from investment firms seeking business with the state. On Monday, he was arrested at his Mediterranean-style mansion and sent to jail for hiding his assets while out on bond. (Salon attempted to contact Rezko's lawyer, Joseph J. Duffy, but he is "not accepting press calls," according to his office.)

Obama's dealings with his hinky friend have never led him afoul of the law, but they show that, despite his high-minded politics, he was no purer -- or no savvier -- than Illinois' biggest hacks in his weakness for a generous contributor. He wouldn't even say no when Rezko cooked up a deal to help the newly elected senator buy a gracious Georgian-revival home.

Rezko, after all, built part of his fortune by exploiting the black community that Obama had served in the state Senate, and by milking government programs meant to benefit black-owned businesses. But Obama took Rezko's money even after the businessman was sued by the city of Chicago for failing to heat his low-income apartments, and even after Rezko was caught using a black business partner to obtain a minority set-aside for a fast-food franchise at O'Hare Airport.

Now Rezko is wearing an orange jumpsuit. And Obama may spend the rest of the presidential campaign wearing the jacket for his friendship with the fixer.

Antoin "Tony" Rezko arrived in Chicago from Syria in 1971. He barely spoke English, didn't have any relatives on the Cook County Democratic Party's Central Committee, and belonged to an ethnic group -- Arab Christians -- too small to elect even an alderman. There's only one way a guy like that can attain political power. He has to buy it.

Rezko began his career as a civil engineer, but he was soon investing in real estate and fast-food restaurants on the side. Many of his business ventures were in downscale black neighborhoods. He built houses on the historically black South Side, and started chains of Subway sandwich shops and Papa John's pizzerias. Those deals provided him the money to connect with his first powerful patron: Muhammad Ali. In 1983, at the urging of Ali's business manager, Jabir Herbert Muhammad, Rezko held a fundraiser for mayoral candidate Harold Washington, who would become Chicago's first black mayor. After that, he was invited to join Ali's entourage as a business consultant. Rezko put together endorsement deals for the Greatest, and was executive director of the Muhammad Ali Foundation, a group devoted to spreading Islam.

Rezko also used his connections with the Ali camp to expand his fast-food holdings. After Washington was elected mayor, Jabir Herbert Muhammad's company, Crucial Concessions, won a contract to sell food and drinks at the Lake Michigan beaches. Rezko took over the company's operations. In 1997, Crucial opened two Panda Express Restaurants at O'Hare, under the city's minority set-aside program. It was stripped of those franchises in 2005, when investigators determined the company was a front for Rezko.

In 1989, Rezko and a business partner founded Rezmar Inc., a real estate company that aimed to rehabilitate South Side apartment buildings. Partnering with community groups that could help them win government loans, Rezmar purchased 30 properties. At first, Rezmar had a golden reputation. But many of its tenants would have been better off in housing projects. During the winter of 1997, a Rezmar building was without heat for five weeks, until the city took the company to court. It was one of a dozen cases in which the city had to force Rezmar to turn on heat for its tenants. More than half of Rezmar's buildings went into foreclosure, and several have been boarded up. According to a Chicago Sun-Times investigation, Rezmar properties were "riddled with problems -- including squalid living conditions, vacant apartments, lack of heat, squatters and drug dealers."

Rezmar's work was done on the cheap, says a former employee who spoke to Salon on the condition of anonymity. But that was at the urging of the city of Chicago, which figured rehabbers could develop more units if they installed low-grade appliances and cabinetry. When boilers and refrigerators started to wear out after six or seven years, Rezmar hadn't banked enough money to fix them. Rezko's business partner, Daniel Mahru, oversaw the day-to-day maintenance. Rezko's job was to raise equity and cultivate politicians. But that doesn't excuse him from the "slum landlord" tag.

"Somebody pointed out to me that you can't distinguish between [Mahru and Rezko]," the employee says. "They were both responsible." (Mahru did not return a call seeking comment. When Salon called his office a second time to ask about Rezko, a secretary said, "I don't know anything about that," and hung up.)

One of Rezmar's partners was the Woodlawn Preservation and Investment Co. (WPIC), founded by Bishop Arthur Brazier, a prominent South Side pastor who later endorsed Obama in his U.S. Senate campaign. WPIC ended its relationship with Rezmar in 2005, says executive director Laura Lane. The National Equity Fund, which syndicates low-income housing tax credits, tipped off the organization about Rezmar's financial problems. But Lane says Rezmar's properties "weren't in such a state of disrepair." And Brazier disputes the "slum landlord" description.

"When he was with WPIC, the relationship was a good one," he says now.

However, in 2007 Brazier told the Sun-Times that "WPIC became disenchanted with Rezmar and wanted to get rid of them. They thought the buildings weren't being kept up properly. There were some financial problems.''

Obama first met Rezko through Rezmar. In 1990, a Rezmar executive read an article about Obama's election as president of the Harvard Law Review. Intrigued by Obama's interest in housing issues, and his plans to return to Chicago, he phoned the young law student and struck up a friendship. When the executive learned that Obama was interested in politics, he introduced him to Rezko.

"He's great," Rezko told the executive. "He's really going to go places."

After law school, Obama went to work for the firm of Davis Miner Barnhill & Galland. During Rezko's stint in ghetto rehab, Davis Miner represented three community groups in partnership with Rezmar. Through them, the law firm helped Rezko obtain $43 million in government funds.

At last week's debate in South Carolina, Hillary Clinton stung Obama for "representing your contributor, Rezko, in his slum-landlord business in inner-city Chicago."

If Clinton was trying to stick Rezko on Obama, that was the wrong line of attack. At Davis Miner, Obama did a total of five hours of legal work for Rezko, under the supervision of more-experienced attorneys. Obama didn't really become tight with Rezko until he ran for the state Senate, in 1995. Rezko, who can spot a comer, was first in line with a check. The day the campaign started, Obama received $2,000 from two of Rezko's fast-food businesses. Eight years later, when Obama was campaigning for the U.S. Senate, Rezko hosted a fundraiser at his suburban mansion.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Corbett
ORLY?

Ya rly. Let me help you out here...

Obama's dealings with his hinky friend have never led him afoul of the law, but they show that, despite his high-minded politics, he was no purer -- or no savvier -- than Illinois' biggest hacks in his weakness for a generous contributor.

Obama didn't break the law so he won't risk drawing anymore attention to their ties by pardoning Rezko.

Bear in mind that I never claimed Obama was squeaky clean. I simply stated that there will be no pardon for Rezko under Obama.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
ORLY?

Obama's dealings with his hinky friend have never led him afoul of the law, but they show that, despite his high-minded politics, he was no purer -- or no savvier -- than Illinois' biggest hacks in his weakness for a generous contributor.

Obama didn't break the law so he won't risk drawing anymore attention to their ties by pardoning Rezko.

Bear in mind that I never claimed Obama was squeaky clean. I simply stated that there will be no pardon for Rezko under Obama.

If there was something behind the Obama link, someone would have brought it up.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
ORLY?

If there was something behind the Obama link, someone would have brought it up.

You're trying to argue with me over something we agree on. I admitted above that he has ties with Rekzo (I think that's pretty common knowledge and no one will try to deny that).

Evidence has yet to be found that Obama has done anything Illegal which is why he will not try to pardon Rezko. That would only draw more attention upon their relationship.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Obama does not have to have done anything illegal for this to hurt him.

Obama's whole claim to the Presidency is based on his "I'm different, I'll bring change" mantra. But this shows that Obama really isn't different and that he took questionable actions like so many other politicians.

It also raises questions about his judgement, another key component of Obama's claim to the White House. Look at the time line. Way back in 1997 the city sued Rezko's real estate company for not heating its buildings. Despite this Obama allows Rezko to host a fundraiser for his senate campaign at his house. Then in June 2005 Obama and Rezko buy adjacent pieces of property. Then in January Obama buys a strip of Rezko's land in order to expand the size of his property, this was done in spite of the fact that everyone know Rezko was under investigation by an U.S. Attorney.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Check out this from ABC
link
It is from Jan, but it lays out the deals of the house purchase.
In sharp contrast to his tough talk about ethics reform in government, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., approached a well-known Illinois political fixer under active federal investigation, Antoin "Tony" Rezko, for "advice" as he sought to find a way to buy a house shortly after being elected to the United States Senate.

The parcel included an adjacent lot which Obama told the Chicago Tribune he could not afford because "it was already a stretch to buy the house."

On the same day Obama closed on his house, Rezko's wife bought the adjacent empty lot, meeting the condition of the seller who wanted to sell both properties at the same time.

Rezko had been widely reported to be under investigation by the U.S. attorney and the FBI at the time Obama contacted him and has since been indicted on corruption charges by a federal grand jury in a case that prosecutors say involves bribes, kickbacks and "efforts to illegally obtain millions of dollars."

This week, a federal judge in Chicago ordered the Rezko trial to begin Feb. 25.

Obama maintains his relationship with Rezko was "above board and legal" but has admitted bad judgment, calling his decision to involve Rezko "a bone-headed mistake."

Rezko's behind-the-scenes connection in the Obama house deal became public as Rezko revealed personal financial details as he sought to post bail.

While Rezko's wife paid the full asking price for the land, Obama paid $300,000 under the asking price for the house. The house sold for $1,650,000 and the price Rezko's wife paid for the land was $625,000.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

Not quite, he was tried and convicted in France...

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm shocked to see the resident GWB apologist and bible thumper in here trying their best to make a mountain out of this mole hill.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
If the vaunted Clinton political machine couldn't use this as ammunition against BHO, then there is nothing to the story.

According to the resident neocons, the Clinton machine is the most powerful and slimiest political force in the country right?

so why didn't we hear about Rezko earlier?

Sounds to me like we are already witnessing the "kitchen sink" strategy from the neocons.

McCain must be in bad shape already in this election...

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
LMAO - Ok, I wasn't going to post on this but I just ran across this Obama quote:

?This isn?t the Tony Rezko I knew.?

ROFL. It is a damn shame that all these people that Obama associates with over the past many years keep changing suddenly when he's running for President. Nevermind that the stuff that Rezko was convicted of happened when Obama was running around with Rezko as a state and US Senator.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: OrByte
If the vaunted Clinton political machine couldn't use this as ammunition against BHO, then there is nothing to the story.

According to the resident neocons, the Clinton machine is the most powerful and slimiest political force in the country right?

Sounds to me like we are already witnessing the "kitchen sink" strategy from the neocons.

You overlook than Clinton could only do so much as a democrat vs another democrat before the blowback would result in negative feedback. If you think the Clinton's didn't sit down and weigh the merits of hammering the Rezko connection you are wrong. There are plenty of things McCain and the pub 527s will use that no democrat would or could. This is true of every year's primaries on both sides.

And those who read the news regularly were well aware of Rezko for a long time now.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
OrByte, Clinton's have their own history of bad land deals. Not sure they would want to remind the public of that by going after Obama over a deal like this one.

Also, Hillary did use an attack line against Obama about his relationship with Rezko, but either it didn't stick or they decided to try other tactics.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: jonks
Originally posted by: OrByte

You overlook than Clinton could only do so much as a democrat vs another democrat before the blowback would result in negative feedback. If you think the Clinton's didn't sit down and weigh the merits of hammering the Rezko connection you are wrong. There are plenty of things McCain and the pub 527s will use that no democrat would or could. This is true of every year's primaries on both sides.

And those who read the news regularly were well aware of Rezko for a long time now.

I think when HRC commented that McCain would make a better president than BHO, that pretty much blows your theory out of the water.