[Tom's] Interesting article on microstuttering

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I've had that several times over the years. Either the gpu wasn't seated properly or the cord was loose.

edit: n/m, looks like you're having problems again.
Yes, it is evidently a HW issue with my HD 6990

Cliffs:

• It worked fine for my evaluation and for heavy use for a few weeks. Then i detoured into a 3D Vision eval (back in the box for 3 months).
  • Installed it into Intel PC and it artifacted badly; moved it slot to slot; driver changes - nothing worked - launching 3D apps BSoDs the system
  • Emailed AMD. They said to put it into another MB - Ph II and it worked
  • Back to Intel system - worked for a few hours. Upon reboot - same BSoDs
  • Back to Phenom II system - and it works again
o_O

And the Intel system is fine - HD 6970 and even CF runs with no issues with nothing changed out but the HD 6990

i emailed AMD ... no response yet (i think there is an event they are all going to)
:'(

Last edited:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I wonder if there is some kind of known issue, beyond the PCIE spec, regarding how voltage is sent to the card or power fluctuations, etc.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Yes, it is evidently a HW issue with my HD 6990

Cliffs:

• It worked fine for my evaluation and for heavy use for a few weeks. Then i detoured into a 3D Vision eval (back in the box for 3 months).
  • Installed it into Intel PC and it artifacted badly; moved it slot to slot; driver changes - nothing worked - launching 3D apps BSoDs the system
  • Emailed AMD. They said to put it into another MB - Ph II and it worked
  • Back to Intel system - worked for a few hours. Upon reboot - same BSoDs
  • Back to Phenom II system - and it works again
o_O

And the Intel system is fine - HD 6970 and even CF runs with no issues with nothing changed out but the HD 6990

i emailed AMD ... no response yet (i think there is an event they are all going to)
:'(

Probably a dumb question, but have you tried it with the bios (AUSUM?) switch in both positions?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Probably a dumb question, but have you tried it with the bios (AUSUM?) switch in both positions?
Yes. i ran out of ideas. My HD 6990 runs in the Phenom II PC but will artifact and BSOD in the Intel PC.

And the Intel PC is fine with any other combination of AMD (or Nvidia) card
o_O

One advantage - no microstutter playing DeuSex HR on a single HD 6970
:whiste:

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
^DeRailer. >.<

I've run CF and microstutter only bothered me when FPS was below 40. I say the advantage of running higher FPS with CF/SLI outweighs the inconveniences of perceivably lower FPS.

I also have discontinued reading Tom's reviews/articles due to their subjective propaganda. I did find it an interesting article, regardless; especially the fact that tri-fire seems to be the sweet spot now.