Tomb Raider (2013)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Others on ebay are like I'll send you the scratched off ticket through the mail. Yeah ok how do I know you wont use the codes. Some refuse to email it to you.

You can dispute it with ebay if it doesnt work out. The one I went with had ebay buyer protection. It can be a hassle, but just go with someone with good feedback.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Rememeber... I am OLD. Comp USA used to have the BEST Midnight releases.. Soda Coffee. Free "Little Stuff"..
Electronics Boutique had the BEST pre order stuff....
T Shirts, Key chains...
Heck, one Windows release (MIGHT have been 95 or 98, like I said... OLD LOL) ... it was like a party at Comp USA. My 11 year old son at the time got SOOO much crap. Mouse pads... a free box of 3.5 inch floppies..... I used his CUTENESS to bulk up on the swag.

I'm wondering if game stores are even doing well enough to support any sort of lavish shindigs. I was in Gamestop the other day, and I go in there often enough that the employees will just chat with me. The one sounded a bit grim, so I ordered the upcoming Naruto game through them (no one seems to have deals on it anyway).

PS the WHOLE BIO shock thing.... Never grabbed me... YES. that is the better deal. But, I am torn.

I only played an hour or so of Bioshock, never played Bioshock 2, and I ordered the Songbird edition of Infinite. :$ Frankly, I find the premise of Infinite to be much more interesting than the original Bioshock, which never really grabbed me. I may just have to hunker down and play it anyway.

PPS. Am I just stupid paranoid about buying codes on Ebay? That seems RISKY at best. No? (LOL there is that OLD thig kicking in again)

I've purchased these codes before, and I've never had a problem. One thing to keep in mind that there's a good chance that the person you're buying it from is actually a business. My guess is that the people that are selling these are either gamers that don't want that game, or people that work at computer shops. If you're installing a certain graphics card in someone's computer, you don't necessarily have to offer them the game voucher.

Others on ebay are like I'll send you the scratched off ticket through the mail. Yeah ok how do I know you wont use the codes. Some refuse to email it to you.

I believe that's because e-mailing the codes is against eBay policy, but people do it anyway. Both the Tomb Raider + Bioshock and Crysis 3 + Bioshock codes that I purchased were e-mailed to me. After the Dirt 3 fiasco, they usually also e-mail a scan of the voucher that shows the code in case AMD wants to see it.

The only downside to the bundle is you dont get the Tomb of the Last Adventurer DLC, but I eventually said screw it and bought the bundle. I can get the DLC down the road when I really feel the urge the play more Tomb Raider.

I figure that the low price makes up for not getting any fancy DLC. Chances are that we may be able to buy it cheap through the Steam Summer Sale (4 months off :p) or using some random ~30% off voucher on GreenManGaming. 30% off (maybe 50%) will probably be all you get on Tomb Raider during its first sale anyway.

The one and only time I went to a midnight release for for GTA4, which is kinda funny considering I took that week off and could have went in the morning. It was kinda funny seeing some closet gamers that I work with show up. :biggrin:

That just meant that you could play it all night. :p

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
YIKES re the gamestop story. Now I feel bad... Will get from them becuase the ones by me are the same...

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
lol, tomb raider has been out way longer than uncharted.

I think he is saying that because Uncharted is more about the action and story and not as much about the exploration. The Tomb Raider series was always more about the exploration and puzzles of the tombs and lighter on action and the story was just there to bring you to the next tomb really. This new Tomb Raider seems to be re prioritizing its ways to be in line with Uncharted now.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
lol, tomb raider has been out way longer than uncharted.

i haven't followed tomb raider for a loooong time,
but it really looks like the exploration/puzzle part don't exists anymore :\

EDIT: got ninja'd

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
My biggest concern is the pc port will suck; do they have a track record here ?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001

I remember reading awhile ago that the devs were putting a lot of effort into the PC version with much higher res textures, that new hair system for DX11 cards, and other higher end goodies. SquareEnix is a good PC publisher so I wouldn't worry much about the quality of the port, they do a good job in that regards.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

It's being published by Square Enix, who has had an excellent reputation for their PC games in the past couple years. To get an idea if Tomb Raider's quality, see: Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, and Deus Ex Human Revolution. It's also an AMD "Gaming Evolved" title, so you know it's going to have some extra shinies pumped into it.

PPS. Am I just stupid paranoid about buying codes on Ebay? That seems RISKY at best. No? (LOL there is that OLD thig kicking in again)

If the seller has a positive reputation, then you should be fine. The guy I purchased from took a few days to get back to me, but he finally sent me the code through email and it registered perfectly on AMD's website.

$25 for Tomb Raider is hard to beat.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I think he is saying that because Uncharted is more about the action and story and not as much about the exploration. The Tomb Raider series was always more about the exploration and puzzles of the tombs and lighter on action and the story was just there to bring you to the next tomb really. This new Tomb Raider seems to be re prioritizing its ways to be in line with Uncharted now.

I dont know about this. There is just as much exploration and puzzle solving in Uncharted as there is in Tomb Raider. Uncharted just did everything exponentially better. Come to think of it...Uncharted is more of an Indiana Jones movie that you can play than it is a Tomb Raider clone. There probably is more platforming in Tomb Raider, although there are sections in the 2nd and 3rd Uncharted where the scale of the platforming might dwarf anything in TR.

I think you can have Uncharted without Tomb Raider, but probably neither without Indiana Jones. I doubt Naughty Dog set out to make their own Tomb Raider, but you never know. For a awhile Tomb Raider wasnt on the PS3 for one reason or another, so Uncharted might have been Sony's response to that. EDIT: I take that back, Uncharted was released in 07, one year after the PS3 launched. It was announced in 06, so they most likely didnt know TR wouldnt be on the PS3 for many years. Maybe TR was held off the PS3 because of Uncharted.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I remember reading awhile ago that the devs were putting a lot of effort into the PC version with much higher res textures, that new hair system for DX11 cards, and other higher end goodies. SquareEnix is a good PC publisher so I wouldn't worry much about the quality of the port, they do a good job in that regards.

Yeah, they've posted some screenshots of TressFX (the modified hair stuff), and it certainly looks nifty. After seeing those screenshots, I couldn't help but notice the awful blobby, pine-cone-style hair that Laura had in Conan's video.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I dont know about this. There is just as much exploration and puzzle solving in Uncharted as there is in Tomb Raider. Uncharted just did everything exponentially better. Come to think of it...Uncharted is more of an Indiana Jones movie that you can play than it is a Tomb Raider clone. There probably is more platforming in Tomb Raider, although there are sections in the 2nd and 3rd Uncharted where the scale of the platforming might dwarf anything in TR.

I think you can have Uncharted without Tomb Raider, but probably neither without Indiana Jones. I doubt Naughty Dog set out to make their own Tomb Raider, but you never know. For a awhile Tomb Raider wasnt on the PS3 for one reason or another, so Uncharted might have been Sony's response to that. EDIT: I take that back, Uncharted was released in 07, one year after the PS3 launched. It was announced in 06, so they most likely didnt know TR wouldnt be on the PS3 for many years. Maybe TR was held off the PS3 because of Uncharted.

Don't get me wrong, Uncharted had exploration but it just never imo felt like the driving force of the series. The story and action in Uncharted always seem like it was in the spotlight over the exploration part. The exploration was great though, the ruins just never felt like center stage to me.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
YIKES re the gamestop story. Now I feel bad... Will get from them becuase the ones by me are the same...

What story? That they're not doing well? Good, maybe they'll stop giving me $12 for a brand new game that they resell for $54.99 and stop opening up new games and taking codes out of them.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Don't get me wrong, Uncharted had exploration but it just never imo felt like the driving force of the series. The story and action in Uncharted always seem like it was in the spotlight over the exploration part. The exploration was great though, the ruins just never felt like center stage to me.

I guess I looked at it differently. I never cared for the shooting in Uncharted, but really soaked in the exploration, platforming and puzzles. Come to think of the, the last TR game I played I set it to no enemies so I could leisurely walk around and take everything in. Kinda odd, because when I play a competitive MP game I'm a straight rusher.

But you're probably right, as the Uncharted series progressed, it probably did become more about shooting.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well I picked up both games for $50 bucks. Would of had them for $45 if someone else had not bid late last night. The auction ended at 6am so my guess is I got lucky.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I never got my key yet. Checked spam folders too. Hope I didn't get fooled.

imported_BS

Mar 8, 2005
http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/1091-tomb-raider

Get this pre-sale at Nuuvem and earn bonuses as DLC ability Animal Instinct and upgrade to the gun Pistol Burst

Use chrome to to do an instant translate, Its a gaming site out of Brazil, special price for a few days, The conversion as of today was equal to $25.92 US. Only use Paypal according to the Brazilian user that posted it on another forum as they have some strange setup when using credit cards in Brazil. I did it a couple of hours ago, you will receive the game key plus 2 DLC keys instantly. They all registered on steam with out issue.

Last edited: