Toilet Training

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
What is the age you generally start teaching kids to use the toilet?
My niece is almost 4, and she still wears a diaper. That may be normal, I don't know. My mother, her grandmother, is starting to get upset that her parents are not really attempting to even show her. They seem content just to let her use diapers.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
My niece is almost 4, and she still wears a diaper. That may be normal, I don't know. My mother, her grandmother, is starting to get upset that her parents are not really attempting to even show her. They seem content just to let her use diapers.

It's not normal. Age 4, especially a girl, should be fully potty trained. The only exception may be a pull-up during naps or at night.

Her parents are dumb.

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
my son is 2yr 9mos and we are in the process now of training him. Our neighbor's daughter is 3yr and fully trained, our friend;s daughter is 2.10 an fully trained.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy

It's not normal. Age 4, especially a girl, should be fully potty trained. The only exception may be a pull-up during naps or at night.

Her parents are dumb.

Lazy is a better word, but that can turn into dumb after a period of time.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Engraver
Around two I think, she's way too old to be wearing diapers.
:thumbsup:
Some girls learn even younger.
4 is WAY to old.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
My daughter has been showing interested in the toilet since she was about 1.5 (she's about 2 now). She still doesn't go when she's on it, but she likes to sit there.. we're making some progress.

LookingGlass

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2005
She's four, not potty trained, good lord they need to talk to someone. She's almost ready for preschool, kindergarten is next. She needs to be trained before she enters school.
Sorry, thats pretty sad.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
My daughter learned some time around 2.5 to 3. Four is too old to not be trained. My lord, I couldn't imagine cleaning the dumps a four year old makes.

Drekce

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2000
We are working on my son right now, and he is nearly three. A lot of people I have talked to about this say boys are generally trained between 2.5 and 3.5 while girls are more between 2 and 3.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think they allow kids into pre-school that aren't potty trained. We are working with my younger boy who is just over 2; our older boy was almost 3 when he saw the light.

As mentioned girls seem to understand potty-training quicker than boys but 4 is pushing it even for boys.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I was 1.5 when I did it, didn't have an accident since I was 5. And that's just not right, smack the parents across the head with a 2x4.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
My daughter is 18 months old, and we're about to start her sitting on the potty pretty soon. Should be fairly easy (famous last words), but she does take a massive crap after every meal :p

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I know people that at 2-2.5 they were fully trained.

My daughter is 2.5 and is getting there when she feels like it. heh.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

thaaaaaaat's bordering on neglect.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
at 2 we got my eldest daughter a potty. by 2.5 she was using it exclusively, wearing panties during the day and pull-ups at night. when our youngest was born, my eldest reverted back to pull-ups during the day for a little while but definitely by the age of 3 she was back to panties during the day and pull-ups at night. she's 4 now (will by 5 in june) and a few months ago she stopped using pull-ups at night and has only had 2 accidents so far.

our youngest will be 2 in april and she already likes to sit on the toilet to pee since she sees her big sister doing it. i suspect she will be even easier to train.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The rule for me has always been if they can talk and understand you, they are old enough , atleast in the day time.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
My daughter showed interest around 2.5, was trained in two weeks with M&M rewards; one accident in the 1.5 years since. I know - you're not supposed to do it that way, but it worked, and worked fast.

You're supposed to wait for the child to show interest, but I agree - 4 is FAR too old.