Toenail fungus - I think I got that crap that causes your nail to be brittle etc

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
My toenail changed color and has got real brittle.

I just got through cutting away all I could - and litterally have my toenail is gone. I probably could pull the rest off with minor pain. I don't want to have to go to the doctor - any good home remedies for this? Anything over the counter actually work?

lavagirl669

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2004
pore some Hydrogen Peroxide over it or soak it in a little cup of the same
to prevent infection.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Go to the doctor.

There are any number of things that can cause your nails to become brittle, some serious, most not. Probably nothing more than fungus or something- easy to cure.

moomoo40moo

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
I had this once, since I was a kid. Tried all the over-the-counter stuff, like fungal-cure, and stuff that you dabb on the nail itself, and nothing worked at all. Went to the doctor, and he said that your body needs to attack it from the inside, and prescribed "Lamisil" for me. After the first couple weeks, you could finally see the new nail coming in, and I was so happy. Now, I wear sandles in any showers I go into.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Go to a doc and get some real advice instead of trying all kinds of OTC remedies.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Meh, I've had some nasty looking toenail fungus since basic training in 02. Haven't really been able to get rid of it, but its never been much of a priority. I've removed most of the toenail itself, but the nail grows back yellow and distorted with some whitish cheese like substance underneath it. I just clean it out regularly.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
No, OTC preparations simply will not work on these types of fungi.
Lamisil will, though, be prepared, it's expensive. At least it was about 4 years ago when I took it.