Today's Random Fact

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Scientists studying allergens have found that you have to eat a food that you dislike approximately 12 times before you will begin to like it. A dislike in taste is a result of groupings of taste buds firing off in a sequence you've not encountered before.

EDIT for More Kewl Factness: This is why children are such picky eaters, as they haven't experienced multiple taste sensations yet. Carbohydrate rich foods tend to stimulate the lowest amount of taste buds, which is why kids tend to love cereals, breads, and pastas.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
wait i've accidentally eaten tomatoes at least 12 times in my life and i still despise them.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I would rather just stay away from foods I don't like than have to suffer through eating it 12 times.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001

that you dislike approximately 12 times before you will begin to like it.

Originally posted by: JohnCU
i guess thats why they say beer is an acquired taste

That sounds about right. After 12 beers they start to taste pretty good.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Heller
Originally posted by: Juno
i don't like tomato but i like ketchup.

I love you juno.

heh...I'm the same way actually. Not quite the same though, as ketchup isn't just tomato. I'll eat raw tomatos on sandwiches, but I'd prefer they not be there.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Fritzo

I love you juno.

heh...I'm the same way actually. Not quite the same though, as ketchup isn't just tomato. I'll eat raw tomatos on sandwiches, but I'd prefer they not be there.

i still don't want tomatoes on my wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

I love you juno.

Hell no, those are delicious on their own

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
I couldn't eat eggs at one point. I thought they were terrible. Eventually I started eating them with other foods; ham, bacon, etc.

Now I can even eat them raw if I want to, the taste doesn't bother me at all. Nifty.

montypythizzle

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91
I couldn't eat eggs at one point. I thought they were terrible. Eventually I started eating them with other foods; ham, bacon, etc.

Now I can even eat them raw if I want to, the taste doesn't bother me at all. Nifty.

Only because you are a tough boxer with a heart from Philadelphia.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91

scrambled eggs cooked in bacon grease. sex for your soul.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
:foodgasm:

one of my co-workers is the pickiest guy i have ever known...

his wife had to get a bunch of recipes from his Mommy when they got married :laugh:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
that's not encouraging
some of the meals in MREs are terrible, especially since I'm a picky eater. I have to eat 12 of each of those items before I may like them? Aww jesus I'm in for a hell of a ride. lol
Good thing, I'm guaranteed to be exposed to them that often to the point that I guess I'll eventually be forced to like them.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
There are some things you don't like no matter how much you've tried it. Like, Chinese soup.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003

I love you juno.

Dude, fast food tomatoes are terrible. As are most of the other vegetables.

Slice some garden fresh roma tomatoes on there, and then you have a real sandwich.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Intresting, but there are some things I just don't like. I still try them a few times a year and the same result - "No sir, I don't like it."

Brussel sprouts and any kind of squash to be exact. Which is weird because when I was a kid squash was one of my favorite foods.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
It could depend
on whether or not you dislike a food based on taste or texture.

My friends hate tomatoes because they think they are slimy.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004

I don't like ketchup but I love tomatos, won't eat a burger without them in fact...