Today's random fact

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Today is Feb 29th! Happy Leap Day!

Pope Gregory XIII created the 365 day calendar in 1582, which was based on how long it takes the earth to travel around the sun. The problem is, it actually takes 365.25 days, so every 4th year an extra day is added to the year. It became evident that this system wasn't accurate enough however as it takes the earth EXACTLY 365.242199 days to travel around the sun. To make up for that discrepancy, Leap Year is actually skipped every three out of four century years not divisible by 400. Therefore, the year 2000 was a Leap Year, but 1900, 1800, and 1700 were not!

How 'bout that? :)

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Uh what.
Julius Caesar made the 365 day calendar and added leap years. The Pope just refined it to fix the issue of it not being exactly 365.25 days/yr.

Feb 6, 2007
In other words, the Gregorian calendar is absolutely retarded. We need a new system of telling time that doesn't have all these random ass rules (every 4 years, we add a day, except for round centuries not divisible by 400... Fuck you logic!). Then again, time is an illusion... so maybe it's completely irrelevant.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
another random leap year fact: the lakers or phil jackson have been in the nba finals every leap year since 1980. so ill be seeing you eastern conference fans at the dance in june!

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
In other words, the Gregorian calendar is absolutely retarded. We need a new system of telling time that doesn't have all these random ass rules (every 4 years, we add a day, except for round centuries not divisible by 400... Fuck you logic!). Then again, time is an illusion... so maybe it's completely irrelevant.
Time is about as much of an illusion as gravity is. Our units of measure are arbitrary, but time is obviously happening.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

What's your solution?

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
I think the op is a bit off. the 365 day year existed before that (46B.C.). and so did leap days.
the error came from the year being calculated as 365.24 days long

In A.D. 730, an Anglo-Saxon monk, the Venerable Bede, calculated that the Julian year was 11 minutes and 14 seconds too long, an error of about one day every 128 years. But nothing was done about it for 800 years. In 1582, the accumulated error was estimated at 10 days, and Pope Gregory XIII decreed that the day following Oct. 4 would be Oct. 15.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Day=one rotation of Earth
Year=one orbit around sun

There's no way to reconcile those two, so I'm happy with the current system. OTOH, how the heck were month and week defined?

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Mermaidman

There's no way to reconcile those two, so I'm happy with the current system. OTOH, how the heck were month and week defined?

The week is 1/4 of the moon's cycle.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli
Time is about as much of an illusion as gravity is. Our units of measure are arbitrary, but time is obviously happening.

Time is "happening" in the same way that space is "happening" :p

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: mordantmonkey
I think the op is a bit off. the 365 day year existed before that (46B.C.). and so did leap days.
the error came from the year being calculated as 365.24 days long

In A.D. 730, an Anglo-Saxon monk, the Venerable Bede, calculated that the Julian year was 11 minutes and 14 seconds too long, an error of about one day every 128 years. But nothing was done about it for 800 years. In 1582, the accumulated error was estimated at 10 days, and Pope Gregory XIII decreed that the day following Oct. 4 would be Oct. 15.

Sorry dude, I copied this from a Funk & Wagnall's fact book. They're usually pretty accurate.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth

The week is 1/4 of the moon's cycle.

A month is roughly a moon cycle.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001

Sure there is - change either Earth's rotational speed, or else its orbital velocity. :p

"Simple! Change the gravitational constant of the Universe!"
"And how are we supposed to do that?"
"I don't know, you just....DO it!"

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs

What's your solution?

Unix time.

Starting from 2012 (fine, we'll give the cult their "end of time" day).

From there on, one day is a day and keeps on counting. So, it'll just be day 23534212234... when we write. Then we can have shortened versions and force everyone to learn math.

... profits.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Originally posted by: mugs

What's your solution?

Unix time.

Starting from 2012 (fine, we'll give the cult their "end of time" day).

From there on, one day is a day and keeps on counting. So, it'll just be day 23534212234... when we write. Then we can have shortened versions and force everyone to learn math.

... profits.

Yeah, I can't think of ANY disadvantages of that system compared to the current system.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::confused:

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

King Numa added 2 months to the existing 10, and named them January and February.
For the week, blame the Christians.