Today I Quit Smoking

6StringSamurai

Apr 10, 2006
Well at 11:30est I smoked the last cig that I had. I was about to go to the store to purchase 5 more packs like I normally do, when I realized after doing some quick math in my head that I spend 100-130$ a month on this habit.

I started smoking when I was 14 and smoked until I was 18 and quit until I was 21. At that time the partying got to me and some of the frat guys that I hung out with smoke Djarum Blacks a clove cig. So I started back smoking them until today, so about 3 years.

I have noticed that I began having problems breathing, sleeping, and coughing in the middle of the night as well as a lack of energy. So instead of walking to the tobacco store I decided that I was done with it. I am going to throw away any reference to smoking when I get home after work.

Does any former smokers that quit have any tips for dealing with the cravings?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Today is going to suck for you:p

Tomorrow will be worse:p

Good Luck to you and remember, eventually you will regain the will to live, will beat the habit, and will be better off by doing so:thumbsup:

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
I quit smoking 2 weeks ago. It was a little tough for me since I work in a restaurant and there are smokers all around me. I used Zyban to help a little with the cravings.

dawnbug

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2002
Good luck! My older sister's been trying to quit for awhile, but she's set a date in the near future to give it up. She's going to try using the patch initially to help with the cravings, I think, and that's what my mom did when she quit smoking several years ago.

It's going to be tough, but your lungs will definitely thank you for it!

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hope you make it :)

and if you want to make it, change the topic title to include you commiting yourself to post daily updates on how its going

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
it's hard to quit smoking...i've never smoked in my life but i've seen friends smoking and they decided to quit smoking but it was quite difficult for them to quit smoking.

being stressed will convince you to smoke again.

davew0670

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2003
i quit once and picked up a worse habit of eating everything in sight. One day I finally had enough of the eating and started smoking again. Either I'm going to die from being a fat tub of lard or from smoking. At least my wife wont have to have a custom made coffin for me now.

6StringSamurai

Apr 10, 2006
I will give updates, I think it will be help to be held accountable somewhat...I am quitting cold turkey, I would rather not have to be on a patch or a gum to help. Props to whomever might have quit that way I certainly am not putting them down for it, but for me, if I quit with no help I will be more likely to stick with it because it will be something that I stood up to and conquered by myself....still gonna be a hell of a ride, I have "tried" 4 other times and did not last for more than 2 hours. The BIGGEST problem is I associate so many other things with smoking, aka Drinking, gaming, etc, 2 things I do alot of......better to be able to run across a room and still be able to breath tho.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
....And in other news, Miss Universe has reportedly quit smoking after reading message board comments about her recently....

creedog

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
actually it is not really that hard to quit smoking you just really have to want to. I quit smoking after 15 years of smoking a pack a day. I used the patch and chewed a lot of gum (and still do)

People smoke around me all the time and I have never even thought twice about having a smoke. I wanted to quit and I did.

Manuwell

Jan 19, 2006
I did the same... 15 months and 26 days ago
Never wanted to smoke again. even when I tried to, I failed.

Way to go man, way to go.

(I'm still on beer)

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I quit several times and always fell back into the habit because of beer. This time around I'm 4 months, 2 weeks, X days smoke free and I have been drunk no telling how many times. The key? I made it through the first night drinking without a cigarette even though I thought that to be impossible. After that each time was easier and now I contemplate opening up smokeless bars every time I'm out on the town because I can't stand smoke coming near me. I understand now what non-smokers feel! :p

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
i wish you the best of luck and if you really put your mind to it you will never smoke another cigarette again.

btw...today is my 11 month anniversary as a non-smoker after smoking for around 10 years.

6StringSamurai

Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: alien42
i wish you the best of luck and if you really put your mind to it you will never smoke another cigarette again.

btw...today is my 11 month anniversary as a non-smoker after smoking for around 10 years.

1 hour down....its harder when I know that I can't have anymore...make me want it more..

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: 6StringSamurai
Originally posted by: alien42

1 hour down....its harder when I know that I can't have anymore...make me want it more..

You'll quickly find that you'll have that with everything. Don't get the munchies, dude :p.

Rapidskies

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
Let me be be the first to congratulate you on your endeavor, not every man has the courage to face his addicts. I would recommend that you replace your cravings for ciggarets with food. I've seen this work in many cases, whenever the subject is antsy they eat a burger, get an itch for that cig down a nice cold Frosty it works. But you have to maintian a rigid excercise program which includes walking, hand excercises (great for anywhere and anytime) and facial exercises which serves a dual role of preventing rinkles. Anyway those are a good start but you can always incorporate your own excercises instead. Good luck my friend!

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: 6StringSamurai
Well at 11:30est I smoked the last cig that I had. I was about to go to the store to purchase 5 more packs like I normally do, when I realized after doing some quick math in my head that I spend 100-130$ a month on this habit.

I started smoking when I was 14 and smoked until I was 18 and quit until I was 21. At that time the partying got to me and some of the frat guys that I hung out with smoke Djarum Blacks a clove cig. So I started back smoking them until today, so about 3 years.

I have noticed that I began having problems breathing, sleeping, and coughing in the middle of the night as well as a lack of energy. So instead of walking to the tobacco store I decided that I was done with it. I am going to throw away any reference to smoking when I get home after work.

Does any former smokers that quit have any tips for dealing with the cravings?
be strong!

glad you've decided to quit. :)

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Congrats. I still smoke but have determined that I WILL quit before I turn 21. Keep at it man, don't cave.