Today I am reminded of the billions, even trillions, who die at the borders each year in California because they don't smell right to others...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
And I want to salute the racist dedication that drives them to this. I salute the trillions who die and hope for the deaths of trillions more this day because they seem to be attracted to the Doritos yellow cake that clumps up on my keyboard keys and I have joined the war. In true California style I'm fighting back with Twenty Mule Team Borax sugar added. Good luck to all who fight, be it out of blind genetic imperative or plain old bigoted stupidity. Things go well until you run into a more conscious enemy who knows how also to exploit your own weakness:

https://www.the-scientist.com/daily-news/war-zone-43300

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Ever since moving into my brand spanking new house a long while ago, I've witnessed how different species of ants were overpowered by another and they being overcome by the next and so forth and so on.

After more that twenty-some odd years in my home at least a half-dozen species have come and gone from my yard and living spaces, each replacing the other, with me never knowing why. Same with these lizards who now enjoy my rock garden. They came in and got rid of every other species that I've seen around the house.

All of them non-natives from who knows where. Still waiting for the fire ants to show up though.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
7th grade was my first at Ridley Park Jr/Sr High School . . . my first experience of not being in one classroom with one teacher all day long. It was small . . . a little less than 600 students in 7th through 12th grades, and resolutely "old school" in every way imaginable. I loved it.

I had a study hall in a classroom with only about 7-12 of us or so, presided over by an elderly teacher whose name I forget, but who was emblematic of the many aging lifers who had taught there since . . . forever.

You couldn't have gotten any studying done if you wanted to, as the teach would regale us with hunting stories and such. There were about 15-20 ratty, worn paperbacks available to read.

The favorite of all of us, the one passed around the most? Leiningen vs. the Ants. It's the story of a Brazilian plantation owner's epic fight against a massive horde of invading army ants.

Thanks for the memory, Mr. Beam!
8qBIs3H.gif

Nov 25, 2013
7th grade was my first at Ridley Park Jr/Sr High School . . . my first experience of not being in one classroom with one teacher all day long. It was small . . . a little less than 600 students in 7th through 12th grades, and resolutely "old school" in every way imaginable. I loved it.

I had a study hall in a classroom with only about 7-12 of us or so, presided over by an elderly teacher whose name I forget, but who was emblematic of the many aging lifers who had taught there since . . . forever.

You couldn't have gotten any studying done if you wanted to, as the teach would regale us with hunting stories and such. There were about 15-20 ratty, worn paperbacks available to read.

The favorite of all of us, the one passed around the most? Leiningen vs. the Ants. It's the story of a Brazilian plantation owner's epic fight against a massive horde of invading army ants.

8qBIs3H.gif

It made for what I remember to be an entertaining movie as well. (Based on rather than adapted)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047264/

1566110354062.jpeg

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ever since moving into my brand spanking new house a long while ago, I've witnessed how different species of ants were overpowered by another and they being overcome by the next and so forth and so on.

After more that twenty-some odd years in my home at least a half-dozen species have come and gone from my yard and living spaces, each replacing the other, with me never knowing why. Same with these lizards who now enjoy my rock garden. They came in and got rid of every other species that I've seen around the house.

All of them non-natives from who knows where. Still waiting for the fire ants to show up though.
Yeah I've read that Fire Ants are rather nasty ones. Aren't they the ones that eat you alive if they swarm all over you?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

8qBIs3H.gif

:)

Good for you.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
And I want to salute the racist dedication that drives them to this. I salute the trillions who die and hope for the deaths of trillions more this day because they seem to be attracted to the Doritos yellow cake that clumps up on my keyboard keys and I have joined the war. In true California style I'm fighting back with Twenty Mule Team Borax sugar added. Good luck to all who fight, be it out of blind genetic imperative or plain old bigoted stupidity. Things go well until you run into a more conscious enemy who knows how also to exploit your own weakness:

https://www.the-scientist.com/daily-news/war-zone-43300
Until I looked at the link, I thought you might have had a stroke.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Those things are all over here in FL, I stepped into a mound in bare feet along the driveway as I was washing a car, the only thing that helped was I had grip on the hose so was able to spray most off my leg withing 30 seconds or so, still sucked pretty bad.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Those things are all over here in FL, I stepped into a mound in bare feet along the driveway as I was washing a car, the only thing that helped was I had grip on the hose so was able to spray most off my leg withing 30 seconds or so, still sucked pretty bad.

You're thinking of fire ants. Argentine ants don't sting. They're small for ants, only 2-3mm long.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
You're thinking of fire ants. Argentine ants don't sting. They're small for ants, only 2-3mm long.
Oh, OK, thought they, (fire ants) had originally come from SA, maybe they do but they are nasty!.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Oh, OK, thought they, (fire ants) had originally come from SA, maybe they do but they are nasty!.

They did. Globalization means that every pest & disease will proliferate into every environment where it can survive. West Nile virus in Colorado, pythons in the Everglades (ultimately throughout the South), brown tree snakes in Guam, so forth & so on. There may be a breeding population of Nile crocodiles in Florida who have a whole different outlook than alligators on people as food.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
What in Hell are Nile Crocodiles doing being in Florida in the first place???:eek::mad:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Yeah I've read that Fire Ants are rather nasty ones. Aren't they the ones that eat you alive if they swarm all over you?

I think you're referring to army ants that have soldier ants as a defense against threats. They like to travel in hordes for gathering edibles.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

8qBIs3H.gif
Memory lane. My first external validation of what was previously an unconscious realization that I was living in an insane asylum came when I first saw the Day the Earth Stood Still, the original, and confirmed later, more relative here, when I saw Them.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Memory lane. My first external validation of what was previously an unconscious realization that I was living in an insane asylum came when I first saw the Day the Earth Stood Still, the original, and confirmed later, more relative here, when I saw Them.
PS: I have a big pile of ant corpses collecting at the bottom of my freezer. They get in by following the cold water pipes including one that supplies my built in freezer ice maker. I get them in a glass when I dispense ice. I need a pangolin.