To whomever posted the link to "Lies My Teacher Told Me"

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
thank you. i searched through the forums and the new (well, not so much anymore) search function is hot garbage, so i couldn't find the original post.

I listened to the interview with James Loewen, and my god, he made such a profound statement around the 49:00 mark, which i think succinctly describes why we see such significant, and to a degree, irrational, opposition to things like voting rights, reparations, teaching a complete history of america, and other things that help or acknowledge people of color

full interview

the excerpt i have quoted here needs to be taken in the full context of his interview response to the question, which begins at 44:20 and i have linked.

timestamp of profound Q&A (44:20 - 49:53)
"...i think it encourages whites to become racist and say, the federal government has always been doing these wonderful things for black folks. haven't we done enough enough? why do we need to do more? what's the problem?"

my jaw dropped.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
thank you. i searched through the forums and the new (well, not so much anymore) search function is hot garbage, so i couldn't find the original post.

I listened to the interview with James Loewen, and my god, he made such a profound statement around the 49:00 mark, which i think succinctly describes why we see such significant, and to a degree, irrational, opposition to things like voting rights, reparations, teaching a complete history of america, and other things that help or acknowledge people of color

full interview

the excerpt i have quoted here needs to be taken in the full context of his interview response to the question, which begins at 44:20 and i have linked.

timestamp of profound Q&A (44:20 - 49:53)
"...i think it encourages whites to become racist and say, the federal government has always been doing these wonderful things for black folks. haven't we done enough enough? why do we need to do more? what's the problem?"

my jaw dropped.
When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I tried listening to the book on audiobook but couldn't hold my attention. May have to get it in paperback. Really need to read it.