To wait or not to wait.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
I am currently wondering what I should do lately. I have a 7600GS currently and am looking to upgrade to a newer card. I upgraded monitors last year to a 24" (1920x1200) and it makes me reluctant to try new games with this card. Because of the holiday season I'd figure I'd look into a GTX 260 or a GTX 280 for myself.

Unfortunately my PSU only has 2 6pin PCIe connectors so that rules out the 280 unless I get a new power supply. This also comes with news that the 55nm cards are around the corner as well. Considering it seems like the next cards in January are only going to be smaller of the same cards and two cards smushed together I think the only reason to be waiting would be for the prices to drop once they are released.

Anyways the question is, should I buy a 260 now or wait for the 55nm version? Should I wait for the GTX 295 and also get a new PSU? Should I even bother and wait until the next series? Also factor in that I get $200 off my next video card purchase. I am not sure if I would just waste that now or just splurge on the higher end model of the next series.

I am just wondering what everyone else would do in my situation. Any insight will help.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
I think you should buy now. New cards are always around the corner but with bigger price tag. Refresh is nothing but a clock increase anyways. Try to find a deal on a 260 216SP. Gaming on 7600gs on 24" can't be fun.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Few things here, yes the new 55nm parts are around the corner. If power is a key concern that'll certainly play in your favor as the GTX 285 and new GTX 260 only need 2x6pin connectors. Prices for the GTX 260 will most likely be the same as its supposed to be a transparent switch to 55nm. The GTX 285 is looking more like it'll be in the $350-400 range if the GTX 295 $499 price is accurate. The single card parts should undoubtedly draw less power, will run cooler and may overclock better. GTX 295 is still SLI, so make sure you do your homework about potential pitfalls. If your main concern is overclockability and performance I'd say definitely wait for 55nm parts.

What makes it hard to wait is this time of year is typically when a lot of people have free time and receive or buy lots of games. So if you've got a lot of time off or are slow at work, you'd be missing out on prime gaming time. If you bought now, you'd also most likely have to go with a GTX 260, as 550w might be cuttin it close for a GTX 280. You could still manage with a few adapters though.

Either way you're in for a pretty mind-blowing upgrade at 1920 coming from a 7600GS. If you wanted the best of both worlds you could buy now and step-up in a month, although you'd have to buy EVGA or BFG and go from a 260 to 285 or 295 most likely.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
I'd wait, but only because I feel uncomfortable putting a real power hog into my machine.

Of course, if you overclock the new part up the wazoo, it'll undo any power efficiency gain...