To VX922 owners

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Can you guys share your color and brightness settings please? I love this monitor though the brightness has hurt the eyes.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
The monitor is indeed very bright.

My color settings are at 6500. My brightness is 33% (approx) and my contrast at 50% (approx). It doesn't show any number %'s for the settings...only the white bar moving left/right. I'm using a DVI input.

Settings like this are really user-dependent. What's good for me might not be good for you.

I really like this monitor a lot. I've been very happy with it so far. I really wish it would do 16x12 though. The viewable surface is huge (to me, anyway...my first 19" LCD) and 12x10 res just seems silly. I've not tried to force any higher res, FYI. I'm also running the monitor driver off Viewsonics' site. 1.5.0.0, 8 Nov 05.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
It seems like all Viewsonic monitors are bright. My VP930b was bright.
My VX2025wm is (or was, until I fixed it) bright.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
This is my first LCD as well, and I love it except the brightness. My eyes have been really under fire. My brightness right now is at 15% and contrast at 33%, but I will slowly increase as my eyes get used to it.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Pugnate
This is my first LCD as well, and I love it except the brightness. My eyes have been really under fire. My brightness right now is at 15% and contrast at 33%, but I will slowly increase as my eyes get used to it.

Don't increase it if you feel that you can see everything now. :)

Also, all videocard driver packages these days have a calibration utility; try it out and see if that works for you.

Personally, I don't use them. I just use the "brightness calibration thingee" in most games where you reduce the brightness until the "Barely Visible" wording is just that. *shrug* Works for me.

Machine350

Oct 8, 2004
I have the VX924 and I know exactly what you mean. I went into the Nvidia control panel, then click on display, then run the display optimization wizard (it adjust brightness and GAMMA, which is really what you're after). You do that and your display will look TONS better. Oh I forgot, before you do that, you might want to change your settings back to default on the monitor itself.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Well my video card is due to arrive so I will try that. I was looking up pages on monitor calibration and they all recommended using the vid card software.

Michael, the reason I want to up the brightness is that at default settings everything looks so GORGEOUS. Unfortunately it is too much of a good thing. The settings I am currently using are quite soothing, and I can see everything quite clearly and the monitor is amazingly sharp. But greed is a bad thing, and I want to see how much I can get away with.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Alright so I had a second tube light installed in my office and suddenly it is a lot better. I strongly suggest others up the brightness in their rooms if they are having similar issues.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Funny thing is that I work in a server room all day. Lots of really bright flourescent lights. When I come home and get on the PC (see a pattern here? :p), I like it dim in the room. When gaming, I like just enough light in the room to see around me, but not detract from what's on the screen. Needless to say, the setting on my monitor are pretty low. It's a bit of a PITA when the room is bright (day time), but I don't like dealing with "profiles"..I've never felt they worked correctly.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
i dont have that monitor, but i have similar specced brightness on my panel

i set mine to 0 brightness 100 contrast in windows.. depending on teh game i will throw the brightness to 100 60 30
fear 100
worms armageddon 60
others ~30