to Vsync or not to Vsync, that is the question

Check

Nov 6, 2000
Please forget about that sorry excuse for a thread title and let's get down to business.

After reinstalling my old nvidia drivers (screw 91.31) I forgot to turn off vsync and loaded up counter strike (1.6 not source). There was no doubt in my mind that the game was indeed smoother when I was whipping the mouse all over the screen unloading round after round into unsuspecting co-workers, errr terrorists.

However after playing for a few rounds it began to feel as if the game wasn't as responsive as it was when I had vsync disabled. So here's the question, was it all in my head, or is the accuracy actually hindered when vsync is enabled?

A few of my geekier friends have told me that the game looks better graphically when I am playing (ehhh I guess so, I can't tell) but my eyes and hand are telling me that it is mucking stuff up. What do you guys do?

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I believe Vsync can affect game responsiveness, but someone else might be better equipped to answer that.

IMO, Vsync should be on for LCDs and off for CRTs.

imported_michaelpatrick33

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2004
I have the Dell 2405fpw and 7900GTX SLI and Vsync blows major chunks (at least in Oblivion and COD2). It is like me when I leave the basement to meet some non cyber girls ... stutter .... stutter .... er ... bliop .... twitch .... jerk ..... twitch ... uh sorry got sidetracked. I always turn vsync off! OFF!

Check

Nov 6, 2000
I have a Dell 1704fpt 12ms by the way as my LCD display (<3 this thing since the day I got it) not a CRT incase anyone was wondering or cared

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I use Vsync with triple buffering. Only times I don't use it is when I can't use triple buffering in D3D games. Like BF2, FEAR, and COD2. If I play online, no vsync cos Punkbuster doesn't like 3rd party triple buffering apps.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Some say that it affects responsiveness. I can believe this, but I don't notice the mouse lag myself when I play CS, DoD, or NS with Vsync on, and I consider myself a fairly competitive player.

Lately, though, I'll just play with vsync off, since I can't stand the FPS drop when it goes below my refresh rate. I've been recently playing a lot of DoD and Oblivion, where I don't notice much tearing, but when I go back to CS:S or NS, I'll re-enable it.

JRW

Jun 29, 2005
I always game with Vsync off and 100hz refresh rate.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I use vsync (together with TB, which I find is a must with vsync) in every singleplayer game where it works, but generally not in multiplayer games. I do notice a slight input delay with it on, but it's well worth the fluid motion you get. In multiplayer games I keep vsync off and use lower resolutions with higher refresh rates (at most 1600x1200, at which I can use 110hz), so the tearing is less noticeable and there is no input lag.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
In a game like CS:S you kinda need to turn off vsync cause it just makes it feel different and not as responsive (at least to me).

It depends on the game and how well it runs on my computer. Some games (like CS:S) I never notice the tearing, but in Doom3 engine games (like Quake4) I notice it alot and I have to turn vsync on.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Originally posted by: gersson
I use Vsync with triple buffering. Only times I don't use it is when I can't use triple buffering in D3D games. Like BF2, FEAR, and COD2. If I play online, no vsync cos Punkbuster doesn't like 3rd party triple buffering apps.

I run TB through Tray Tools for BF2 and never had a punkbuster issue.

Also, how can you not use vsync with FEAR on an LCD? All of the flickering lights make any LCD look horrible due to the tearing that that causes.

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
I use Vsync with triple buffering whenever possible.

Note that you'll need to use DXTweaker or some other third party application to enable triple buffering for Direct3D games since the nVidia control panel option apparently only affects OpenGL games.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Each game is diff'rent so use setting profiles via ATI Tray Tools or the like.

Normally, leave vsync disabled. If tearing, enable vsync. Then if noticeable framerate dips, enable triple buffering.

However since TB demands more VRAM and capacity is often already insufficient, then "paging" to system RAM will be more frequent, which if itself is insufficient will then result in paging to the HDD. As this cascading effect is severely detrimental to performance (worse, playability) it must then be considered whether reducing the graphics quality settings may be preferred to preclude aforementioned framerate dips (which are caused when vsync is enabled but the framerate cannot be maintained at the refresh rate or better).

So it comes down to balancing, especially after deciding that any tearing is unnacceptable; but you may find yourself backtracking from even worse alternatives.

SpeedZealot369

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2006
Newb question

What is triple buffering? and how does it effect v-sync and gaming in general?

-SZ

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: josh6079
Originally posted by: gersson

I run TB through Tray Tools for BF2 and never had a punkbuster issue.

Also, how can you not use vsync with FEAR on an LCD? All of the flickering lights make any LCD look horrible due to the tearing that that causes.

I have crossfire so I have to use CCC. I use DXtweaker for triple buffering.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: SpeedZealot369
Newb question

-SZ

To explain that and the difference in responsiveness the original poster asked about:

Without vsync - The card draws each new frame while sending the previously drawn frame to the display, as soon as the new frame is finished it replaces the one being sent to the display. In doing so, the displayed frames wind up being switched out in the middle of refreshes where one full refresh is drawing from two or more parts of two or more different frames with tearing resulting from the difference between those frames.

With vsync - The card draws each new frame while sending the previously drawn frame to the display; but the newly drawn frame can will only replace the one being sent to the display upon completion of a vertical refresh, so there is no tearing but with only space for the frame being drawn and the frame being displayed the card must sit idle waiting for the next vertical refresh of the display,

Triple buffering - With vsync enabled memory is allocated to store the most recently finished frame until the previous frame is completely refreshed by the monitor, allowing the card to start rendering a new frame right away rather than waiting for vertical refresh.

SpeedZealot369

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
Originally posted by: SpeedZealot369
Newb question

-SZ

To explain that and the difference in responsiveness the original poster asked about:

Without vsync - The card draws each new frame while sending the previously drawn frame to the display, as soon as the new frame is finished it replaces the one being sent to the display. In doing so, the displayed frames wind up being switched out in the middle of refreshes where one full refresh is drawing from two or more parts of two or more different frames with tearing resulting from the difference between those frames.

With vsync - The card draws each new frame while sending the previously drawn frame to the display; but the newly drawn frame can will only replace the one being sent to the display upon completion of a vertical refresh, so there is no tearing but with only space for the frame being drawn and the frame being displayed the card must sit idle waiting for the next vertical refresh of the display,

Triple buffering - With vsync enabled memory is allocated to store the most recently finished frame until the previous frame is completely refreshed by the monitor, allowing the card to start rendering a new frame right away rather than waiting for vertical refresh.

So where can I enable triple buffering? I'm using tray tools.