To Use or Not to Use...That is the question

michaelmcd52

Jan 28, 2010
I just got a retail box 4 core 955 black ...should i remove the factory heat paste and use my artic paste or use factory paste?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
One vote for a very thin coating of Artic Silver 5. I use Windex to remove old thermal compound from CPU's and fingers. :)

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
I would just use what is already on there.

If you were considering overclocking, you wouldn't be using a stock HSF and you wouldn't be asking that question anyways.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
One vote for a very thin coating of Artic Silver 5. I use Windex to remove old thermal compound from CPU's and fingers. :)
Windex? Oh hell no. That stuff (the blue stuff?) has synthetic dyes and shit that will stay on the CPU.

Isopropyl + cotton swabs. The cotton also happens to make for a nice gentle abrasive when wet too, able to clean the old gunk from any minor grooves/pits in the surface, and it does a great job shining up and removing oxidation/oils from copper on the heatsink.

That said, AS5.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
How hard is to clean off the heatsink? I always use 91&#37; isopropyl and apply a thin layer of AS5. Easy. Do it right the first time.

bob5568

Jan 12, 2005
I say choose solutions that fit your problems, and if your thinking is to do what someone else chose to do, check to make sure you have the same problems as that person.
The only reason to use 3rd party thermal compound is to experience cooler temps by 1 to 4 degrees. Does that result solve your problem? Most folks here are guessing you don't have a problem. Is that true? What brings you to ask the question? I tend to do the least work that produces the desired result, so if I had no problems using the parts as delivered, that would seem to be the best approach.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Windex? Oh hell no. That stuff (the blue stuff?) has synthetic dyes and shit that will stay on the CPU.

actually sunny the ammonia in windex drys out cleaner then 70-90&#37; alcohol.
Its part of windex's marketing theme, leaves no streaks, drys clean moto..

Unless you can get the 100% alcohol stuff.. which is very hard to find.

I would just use what is already on there.

If you were considering overclocking, you wouldn't be using a stock HSF and you wouldn't be asking that question anyways.

+1...

Why are u worried about changing paste when your using a stock heat sink.
At most a thermal paste change will get you 1-2C better temps, however this only applies when you have the over head room.

On a stock sink, that overhead room doesnt exist, and is likely to exist because you shouldnt be ocing on a stock heat sink.

Every 10C u lower the overall temps on your cpu, you effectively double the life on it.
Changing paste on your stock sink will not net you anywhere near 10C.

Last edited:

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Just use what came with stock HSF since your not going to change that its pointless to get arctic silver or something else.

If your going to buy a custom HSF like zalman or whatever company then I would suggest getting the arctic, but if your on stock HSF let the stock thermal paste do its job. gl