To those who fly often... (or who are familiar with carry on limits)

mh47g

May 25, 2007
Will an airline give me any trouble if I bring a school bag and a laptop (in a laptop bag) onboard with me?

Edit: clarification

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
you can have one carry on and one personal bag/item.

so your school bag is your carry on, your laptop bag is your personal bag/item.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I almost always have a book bag and a laptop with me onboard. I think most places allow 1 carry-on and 1 personal item, and the book bag is considered a carry-on, and the laptop is considered a personal item, IIRC.

mh47g

May 25, 2007
Originally posted by: JujuFish
I almost always have a book bag and a laptop with me onboard. I think most places allow 1 carry-on and 1 personal item, and the book bag is considered a carry-on, and the laptop is considered a personal item, IIRC.

Thanks everyone... Is it necessary to take the laptop out of the bag? Will the x-ray machine do any damage to the lappy?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: mh47g

Thanks everyone... Is it necessary to take the laptop out of the bag? Will the x-ray machine do any damage to the lappy?

for everybody's sake, as soon as you get to teh airport, put EVERYTHING in your bag except for your boarding pass and ID. belt, keys, phone, EVERYTHING.

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Ns1

for everybody's sake, as soon as you get to teh airport, put EVERYTHING in your bag except for your boarding pass and ID. belt, keys, phone, EVERYTHING.

That's the way to do it.

And if any or all of your crap fits underneath the seat in front of you, by all means shove it down there and skip the overhead bins.

Never check anything unless you want it lit on fire and the ashes stolen.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001

LOL YES.

keep your gov't ID and boarding pass on your hands. EVERYTHING you have put it in the personal bag. Keep the laptop outside of the bag when going through security. Do not wear belts. Wear comfy shoes that you can take off easily.

There's a new law on lithium batteries. To keep it simple, don't bring ANY SPARE batteries. EVER NEVER. lol. Any lithium battery attached to any equipment is ok.

Don't take your own shampoo/gel/any liquid, unless it's one of those travel kinds. You have to keep any small-form liquids in a ziplock bag.

<---Travels on airplane on avg of once a month.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP

LOL YES.

keep your gov't ID and boarding pass on your hands. EVERYTHING you have put it in the personal bag. Keep the laptop outside of the bag when going through security. Do not wear belts. Wear comfy shoes that you can take off easily.

hell yeah. i get everything on that goddamn belt in 30 seconds. it KILLS me when there are noobs that take like, 5 minutes. FFS woman, let me get through this machine so I can drink my sorrows away

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002

Best advice here. I can't remember the last time I had to go through an metal detector twice, and usually get a somewhat grateful look from the security folks when I pass through security. Believe me, they put up with a lot of dense people, who seem to make a short career of cycling through the metal detector every time they fly!

My favorite is the woman with 100 pieces of jewelry and the fancy shoes that take 5 minutes to take off or put on! :roll:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I forgot to remove my knee brace before going through security on our way to Maui in December...<slaps forehead>

I normally remove it in the restroom after dealing with luggage, but before the security checkpoint...

Of course, the small amount of metal in the thing sets off the metal detectors...my personal effects on the belt get flagged and hand-searched, and I get taken to the side between the screens for a "pat-down" and wanding...ended up taking almost 1/2 fucking hour...all because I forgot to take the dammed brace off first. I usually have it attached to my backpack so it can go through the machine...

mh47g

May 25, 2007
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP

LOL YES.

There's a new law on lithium batteries. To keep it simple, don't bring ANY SPARE batteries. EVER NEVER. lol. Any lithium battery attached to any equipment is ok.

Don't take your own shampoo/gel/any liquid, unless it's one of those travel kinds. You have to keep any small-form liquids in a ziplock bag.

Wow, thanks a lot. I had every intention on bringing a second battery. You just saved me a potentially huge headache...

Edit: I just read something that said extra batteries in carry on's are ok?

Aug 25, 2004

And make sure you wear shoes without laces, or flipflps, or go barefeet even.