To those whining about Origin scanning your machines...

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
No program should scan your system without a clear warning and giving you a choice to decline.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
"I say we start a PINK SLIME campaign against Steam STAT!"

/climbs off podium.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
The Steam survey is 100% optional. You are randomly selected by Steam and a pop up comes up on Steam when you are selected. You can choose to participate or not and if I remember correctly you can choose just to participate in the hardware part and not doing the software part. It is entirely 100% optional though, where as with Origin you have no choice.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
The Steam survey is 100% optional. You are randomly selected by Steam and a pop up comes up on Steam when you are selected. You can choose to participate or not and if I remember correctly you can choose just to participate in the hardware part and not doing the software part. It is entirely 100% optional though, where as with Origin you have no choice.

/thread

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

100% this, nice try though OP.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I have no intention to waste my time researching what Origin does and how it works. EA has done enough to me in the past not to trust anything they would make me install, so I just wont buy any of their games. ME3 is the only game I miss at the moment, but I can easily deal with that since I have way too many other games to play. To be honest, I like that I am more limited now in what I can do as it helps me find the willpower to do the more important things around the house.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
wait..wait...

Does the origin scan see my non-legit copies of mass effect 1&2 installed on my machine? or does it see the legit copies I have in steam that aren't installed?

Hooray_Yogurt

Jun 13, 2010
You can opt out of the hardware survey. As I recall you get a little pop-up asking if you want to submit your specs.