To the privacy conscious users with Verizon service

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Note the first comment on the article stating that "reduce data usage" in chrome and "off road" mode in Opera defeat the terrible super cookie.

That won't really work. The only way out of it is to use a vpn. Or drop Verizon. They've been removed from my list of potential providers I'll use. You're always identified by your header, and any cookies you delete that are associated with it are easily replaced, or unneeded. Collusion between "partners" make cookies unnecessary for tracking.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
If you use a smartphone, you are being tracked no matter what carrier or what brand smartphone it is.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I only have two uses for my Smartphone (on Verizon.) One is to make a phone call. Two is to serve as a hotspot for my laptop. Unless those two situations are in use, the phone is totally OFF.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
If you use a smartphone, you are being tracked no matter what carrier or what brand smartphone it is.

Difference between your ISP tracking your activity compared to building in a cookie that can be read by anyone that uniquely identifies you. It is also a cookie that you can not remove or opt-out of.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
This is an off-topic but out of curiosity: Which would you consider worse, being monitored by the government or a big corporation/corporations?

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
Big corporation for me. I trust my government more than private industry. At least I know the standards government employees are supposed to follow. I cant say the same with private corporations.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
This is an off-topic but out of curiosity: Which would you consider worse, being monitored by the government or a big corporation/corporations?

No difference. What companies have, the government has. The government has more power to make your life difficult.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I just make the assumption that everything I do online is tracked. No expectation of privacy online, period.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
No difference. What companies have, the government has. The government has more power to make your life difficult.

That is true but the government action, assuming a functional democracy, has a legitimacy that a corporation's action does not have.

Big corporation for me. I trust my government more than private industry. At least I know the standards government employees are supposed to follow. I cant say the same with private corporations.

But then minorities (including non-mega corporations) will most likely be the victims. I myself have not a conclusive answer to the question I posed.

Last edited: