to the a-hole who broke into my car tonight

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
It's the vandalism part that pisses me off more than items stolen. I had someone break into my car and all they took was an army blanket- A BLANKET! He must have been homeless and cold. He damaged a window that I had to have fixed.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Had my SUV broken into last year in Baltimore at the Inner Harbor and the punk managed to get a portable cigarette lighter powered air pump !!! Unfortunately, he did 5k damage to my SUV so I without it for a month. Finally settled for restoration on some interior parts instead of replacement and the insurance co. cut me a $300 check for agreeing to it.

SUV had under 3k miles on it too .... I was ... not ... very .... happy.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
ElFenix, don't you live in Katy? Did it happen out here?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Well....I couldn't find anything better. I thought that change had a lot of silver in it, but it was just pennies. I'll try your house next time.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I remember when somone broke into my Altima. I had a laptop in the trunk and some expensive routers in the back seat...all he took was the $2.50 in my ash tray. To add insult to injury....he dropped his keys in my car. I thought thieves in boston were supposed to be bright.....

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Damn, you city folk got it bad. I've seen a lot of threads from people who have had their cars broken into.

It is quite uncommon around here in da UP of Michigan. I can't recall anyone I know who has had it happened to them in many years, though there probably has been a couple I've forgot about, but I don't remember anything major to someone I know.

I can't even lock my doors. My stupid car with its stupid alarm... it started malfunctioning one day. After the doors are locked and shut, it is armed obviously, but now when I put the key in and unlock the door, the alarm goes off. Using the key to unlock the door should turn the alarm off if it was on, but it doesn't do anything, and the car won't start.

This started happening about a year ago, so I haven't really locked my car since (except out of habit for the first couple of months, so I got to be quick with pulling the battery cable off the terminal). I've since taken all of my CDs out except the one in the player, but it still is uncomfortable to know that someone can just open the door. There's really only my faceplate, remote, and some change.

But at least if anyone was going to "break" in, hopefully they would just open the door and take whatever is in there (nothing really of value), meaning I wouldn't lose much and wouldn't have to deal with a damaged car or window.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: gsethi
Originally posted by: QueBert
I had my car broken into by good thieves, they ripped off my sunroof and climbed in threw the top, believe me when I say regardless of the situation having your car broken into sucks :)

why rip the sunroof when breaking one of the windows in the door is probably easier ? I never understand this.

Its not like they are going to take the sunroof with them...and getting sunroof fixed probably costs more than getting a door window, right ?

maybe it made less noise, the alarm didn't seem to go off until they opened the door on their way out, they saw the factory alarm which doesn't have sensors. I don't know if they were smart with what they did, or just lucky. But they got in and were able to go thru everything before opening the door which tripped the alarm (when it's locked and opened from inside the alarm goes off on Fords) whatever the case I am without a sunroof now because it's EXPENSIVE to fix :)

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
When you find the guy, you need to get some iron boots and curbstomp him.

just saw American History X last night

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
all i gotta say is i know first hand now that criminals get slapped on the wrist even when they do get caught

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
A former coworker had his car broken into a few years ago. The thief took a broken cell phone, cigarettes and a few other small worthless items. The missed the $2000+ skydiving rig in the back of the Jeep.