To mechanic gurus - Clutch master and slave/release cylinder

duke

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
How much does it typically cost to replace? Is it as involved as the replacement of the clutch itself?

My clutch pedal sometimes does not come back up after I step off of it. Could it be the clutch cable? That's what I thought at first. But one time, I could feel the clutch slowly start to bite even though I had the clutch pedal pressed to the floor. So this suggests that there is a leak in the cylinder. Is my guess correct?

First off, what is the year, make and model as well as engine size and transmission.

fastz28

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2001
Yep, what kind of car?

If domestic, probably cheap, <$100
If import, probably >$200

duke

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
Hey Roger. Thanks for the reply. It's a 1995 Geo Prizm 1.6L I4 5speed manual. Its got about 70K miles on it.

I looked up carparts.com and the master cylinder alone runs about $80. I'm wondering if the engine and drive shafts need to be pulled out. If so I guess I should replace the clutch too.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
First, you either have a clutch cable, or a hydraulic system. You wouldn't have both.

It does sound like there's a leak in your hydraulic system.

This falls into the fairly minor repair category. Nothing major will need to be taken apart. It should be fairly inexpensive, as long as the cylinder rebuild kits are available. It's a bit more if the cylinders themselves need to be replaced.

duke

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
Garfang,

Hmm....okay. Maybe it can just be serviced with a kit? Thanks.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
You do not have to pull the engine or trans to install a new master cyl. You are probably looking at $300 or so total for a complete rebuild and installation of a master cyl. Just replace it. it is much better if they are reassembeled somewhere that specializes in rebuilding them, which means getting a rebilt one. Remember, the installer is going to have to setup and bleed it, which is a PITA. But relitively easy.

<edit>
It sounds like you have in internal leak in the master cyl since you did not mention filling up the resovoir. I assume you did make sure there is fluid in it...

Replacing the master cylinder and slave cylinder does not require the driveshafts to be pulled.
The slave cylinder is bolted to the side of the bellhousing (Where the engine bolts to the tranny), the master cylinder is obviously bolted to the firewall.
If you are going to replace one, then replace them both.
Have you checked the fluid level lately ?

duke

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
I was hoping you wouldn't give that kind of numbers....but if that's how much it goes for....*sigh*

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: duke
I was hoping you wouldn't give that kind of numbers....but if that's how much it goes for....*sigh*

Parts are cheap, labor is expensive. And Roger is correct, replace the master and slave cyl's at the same time. I guess I should have spelled that out clearer.

duke

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
Yeah, I've checked the fluid levels. According to Haynes, the clutch and brake use the same fluid and the level is currently near "MAX".

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
The rebuild kits have all new rubber and/or plastic parts. In most cases, it should be all you need.

You might only have a problem with one end of the system. If you're lucky, it's just the slave (very simple).

I've never rebuilt any kind of master cylinder, but I'm sure it can be done if you have any mechanical aptitude, and you follow the directions. It's a little more involved removing and replacing the cylinder, not to mention, painful (working under the dashboard to disconnect the pedal from the piston), but you should be very happy with the money you save.

EDIT: If it's not losing fliud, it's the master. (I agree with the pros here, I'm just an amateur trying to help.) And yes, I agree, if you're replacing the master, you might as well replace the slave.

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
I thought I had a Chiltons cd-rom on this vehicle, but I do not. I have a hole in my cd library! Ahhh! Must fill must fill!